Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Giant Photo of Athlone Town FC - Free State Cup Winners in Old Royal Hoey Hotel

Options
  • 16-04-2009 8:43am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭

Anyone remember the Royal Hoey Hotel in or around Mardyke St (of course ye do) where the new shopping centre is. Does any one remember, oddly enough near the toilets at the first floor, a huge blown up picture of the players of Athlone Town FC who won their only FAI Cup? I am just noting that Tadgh Carey has brought out a very interesting book on the topic.

Anyway, does anyone know where that picture is, I am aware the match ball is in the visitors centre in the town Castle.

I just feel that, if its not now located either in the town hall or the castle, its proper home should be at the stadium in Lissywollen.

what do ye think? or do ye care? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Launch of the book is on tonight in the Lodge, should be a good read, and especially the old photos.

The photo was supposed to come to the Club when they were giving away all the fixtures and fittings from the hotel, but they changed their mind and said they wanted to keep it.

I enquired about it recently, someone is looking into where it is at the minute.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

whyulittle wrote: »
    Launch of the book is on tonight in the Lodge, should be a good read, and especially the old photos.

The photo was supposed to come to the Club when they were giving away all the fixtures and fittings from the hotel, but they changed their mind and said they wanted to keep it.

I enquired about it recently, someone is looking into where it is at the minute.

it would be a great piece to auction, or charity etc if club got their hands on it. hopefully they will or at least the castle, town council and have it available for public view (handy way to get tax lowered..... back in the day)

its a great picture though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Some good news on this here.

Advertisement