Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster fans to miss clash amid extra ticket row

Options
  • 16-04-2009 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

LEINSTER rugby season ticket holders who took advantage of an internet error to buy extra tickets to the Heineken Cup semi-final are now likely to miss the game.

A technical error at Ticketmaster earlier this week meant special passwords designed to allow fans to make a solitary purchase were reusable.

It meant Leinster season ticket holders could buy multiples of their stated six-ticket allocations, and 266 did just that.

A spokesman for Leinster rugby last night confirmed "several hundred" tickets above the allocation were purchased, and that all the tickets bought by the 266 ticket holders in question have now been cancelled.

"They're going back to the end of the queue," the spokesman told the Irish Independent. "They may have another opportunity to buy tickets but, given the demand, it is unlikely."

However, members of the Munster Rugby Supporters Club (MRSC) who also took advantage of the Ticketmaster error, but on a smaller scale, will only have the extra tickets they bought cancelled. The game, at Croke Park on May 2, is almost guaranteed to be a sell-out.

Just 5,000 tickets went on sale to the general public. They were snapped up within minutes when put on sale shortly after Leinster secured their spot on Sunday evening.

Both provinces have been allocated 30,000 tickets.

There were 10,000 corporate tickets allocated, a further 1,500 tickets were set aside for hospitality and 5,500 for sponsors.

Allocation

The 9,500 Leinster season ticket holders were entitled to buy six tickets each on Monday morning, on a first-come, first-served basis, while "a significant portion" of its allocation was given over to clubs and schools in the province.

The MRSC members, which number over 15,000, were allowed one ticket each on a first-come, first-served basis, with a larger proportion going to clubs and schools.

Individuals from both supporters' groups took advantage of the technical glitch to buy extra tickets but as Leinster fans had access to multiples of six tickets, the spike in sales among a small number of fans was noted. The number of Munster fans who took advantage of the loophole is understood to be fewer than the 266 Leinster fans.

"Those members who purchased more than once will be allocated one ticket only and this will be posted," the MRSC confirmed.

"We have been given details of members who have purchased over their allocation and will be contacting them."

Ticketmaster moved to cancel all the tickets bought by the 266 Leinster fans after consulting with the province. It also cancelled the extra tickets bought by Munster fans.

"Printed tickets from the 'Ticket Fast' facility are not valid for this game and supporters will not be able to gain entry into Croke Park with them on the day," a spokesman said.

"Physical match tickets will be posted to all successful applicants."

Leinster season ticket holders who were unsuccessful will be able to try again to buy tickets online next Monday, but they will be limited to two tickets per person.

Tickets for the match range in price from €70 for a seat in the premium level to €25 for a place on Hill 16.

- Jason O'Brien

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/rugby-fans-to-miss-clash-amid-extra-ticket-row-1710125.html

Tisk Tisk to all those who abused l'system.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Why bother join the MRSC when you can only get 1 ticket for such a big game?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭kermitdfrog

Scien wrote: »
    See **HEC semi final Tickets** thread & "Calling all leinster supporters" thread.

See also threads on mf.com passing around Leinster ST holders' passwords.

EDIT: Sorry, misunderstood the post

The article makes the same mistake as all other reporting of this farce in referring to those who took advantage as Leinster fans - while, obviously, a lot of them are, some of those who took advantage will have been Munster fans who hold Leinster Season Tickets (I myself know of 3) or who used Leinster ST holders passwords. "Leinster fans" is incorrect, "Leinster Season Ticket holders" would be more accurate - and no where has any journalist yet mentioned the significant number of Munster supporters with Leinster STs.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

What website was it? mf.com doesn't exist apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭barnesd

IrishKev wrote: »

munsterfans.com

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

munsterfans.com

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

OK thanks, and here I was on milleniumfalcon.com!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

OK thanks, and here I was on milleniumfalcon.com!!!!

You're in the gardai aren't you?:P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Why bother join the MRSC when you can only get 1 ticket for such a big game?

Membership is only €20 or something like that, there is a nice bar in Thomond that is for use of the MRSC and if you want more tickets just buy another membership.
    Surely if it is only you then you only need one ticket?
    I find the MRSC very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

I'm sick of the MRSC to be honest. Only ever good for one ticket and even then when you have friends also in the MRSC you can't be guaranteed a seat next to them, or even be sure ye'll all be in the terrace because it might go to a lottery. They should really look at getting some kind of better system together for allowing members buy adjacent tickets, especially now that Thomand is mostly seated and totally segregated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭velocirafter

I bought tickets on general sale, I don't remember giving them my address. Are they going to post them to the address of the credit card? Their helpline is just forwarding you to an announcement at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I bought tickets on general sale, I don't remember giving them my address. Are they going to post them to the address of the credit card? Their helpline is just forwarding you to an announcement at the moment

Your address should be stored on your Ticketmaster account.
    AFAIK you had to log onto this to buy your tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭velocirafter

Ya I was looking around it but I cant see any address information, do you know where about the address can be viewed/edited

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Click on the 'my ticketmaster' link.

You should be able to view it in there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement