Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proof (if need be) that Cliff Burton was a legend

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

dont mean to be disrespectfull to the dead ,but he only became a legend after he passed on,his bass lines are nothing special really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

metzengerstein: That's like something a shredder guitarist would say.....:rolleyes:

nope im a bass player true and true,

and bass legends are people like larry graham,les claypool,bootsy collins and there are so many more who would come in as legends way before burton,

anasthesia maybe i spelled it wrong sorry,allthough it might sound good its really nothing special and if he hadnt passed away and been in metallica he wouldnt be as well recognised id say,

its like kurt cobain nirvana had some ok songs ,he wanst a great gutarist ,but cos he s passed on he is now considered a legend ,why??????

even listning to those vids songs you have up there ,theyre prety much just average basslines nothing special at all and i dont see the hype bout him.and as for metalica well thats another story :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

before i post a rebuttal, i'd like for you to explain, in your opinion, what parts of the basslines posted are average. in the context of the song of course.

My argument is in the context of thrash metal, burton was anything but average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,632 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

before i post a rebuttal, i'd like for you to explain, in your opinion, what parts of the basslines posted are average. in the context of the song of course.

My argument is in the context of thrash metal, burton was anything but average.
    The basslines are quite good, but nothing to render him a legend.

Take the 'big 4' of thrash metal. Both David Ellefson of Megadeth and FranK Bello of Anthrax are superior bassists, and they're not called legends. Why? Because they're both still alive and in slightly smaller bands

Take the 'big 4' of thrash metal. Both David Ellefson of Megadeth and FranK Bello of Anthrax are superior bassists, and they're not called legends. Why? Because they're both still alive and in slightly smaller bands

your a legend lord chessington well said,

whom the bell tolls where are the basslines that are not average one of them is just one or two notes for a few mins and then the do do do do ,do do do do do,hardly genius,and the other is prety much the same,some thrash bassists are awesome,metalica stopped being thrash and lost their own sound when they got to that black album ,i never classed em as being good thrash either they where never fast enough or good enough,slayer wiped them out when they hit that scene ,and im not argueing its my opinion ,and im not a fan nor will i be convinced

by the hammer of thor i will not ,he he

technically superior? yes, perhaps junior and bello are. but to claim burton is average would mean that his playing was typical of the genre, and if that is the case i'd like more examples, in the thrash metal context, of bassists who did the following:

played "lead" bass

solos that fit the context of the song

were interesting in their choice of harmony and melody

writing or co-writing credits.

i'm not claiming that cliff was the best in the world. but to say he was average is just plain wrong. he was innovative, and you dont have to be the best technically to do that. he was revered just as much before his death, so that argument goes out the window.

despite what many think, he had a part in shaping what metallica is now. before he joined (using kill em all as an example) metallica were a pioneering thrash metal band. most of KEA and RTL was written before he joined, so he had little input. but in parts of RTL and MOP you can hear his influence. had he lived metallica would be different today, but would be just as melodic. he was maturing quicker than the rest of the band and open to other kinds of music.

basically, what i'm saying is: try to find another bassist who played, wrote and sounded like cliff from that era, in that genre. i'm sure it'll be a short list.

by its very definition someone who is unique cannot be "average"

your a legend lord chessington well said,

whom the bell tolls where are the basslines that are not average one of them is just one or two notes for a few mins and then the do do do do ,do do do do do,hardly genius,and the other is prety much the same,some thrash bassists are awesome,metalica stopped being thrash and lost their own sound when they got to that black album ,i never classed em as being good thrash either they where never fast enough or good enough,slayer wiped them out when they hit that scene ,and im not argueing its my opinion ,and im not a fan nor will i be convinced

by the hammer of thor i will not ,he he

so your argument is that you dont like then as they werent fast enough? where is it written that you're only good if you're fast?

sorry, that argument holds no water. speed does not equal good.

no my opinion,not arguement is that he was an average bassist,and by hearing his stuff he is average to my ear,nothing special in his playing ,and i dont think he would be as well popular if he was in any other band and was still alive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭dasdog

technically superior? yes, perhaps junior and bello are. but to claim burton is average would mean that his playing was typical of the genre, and if that is the case i'd like more examples, in the thrash metal context, of bassists who did the following:

played "lead" bass

writing or co-writing credits.

i'm not claiming that cliff was the best in the world. but to say he was average is just plain wrong. he was innovative, and you dont have to be the best technically to do that. he was revered just as much before his death, so that argument goes out the window.

despite what many think, he had a part in shaping what metallica is now. before he joined (using kill em all as an example) metallica were a pioneering thrash metal band. most of KEA and RTL was written before he joined, so he had little input. but in parts of RTL and MOP you can hear his influence. had he lived metallica would be different today, but would be just as melodic. he was maturing quicker than the rest of the band and open to other kinds of music.

basically, what i'm saying is: try to find another bassist who played, wrote and sounded like cliff from that era, in that genre. i'm sure it'll be a short list.

by its very definition someone who is unique cannot be "average"

Pretty much what I was going to say. Some great players mentioned here though I'll admit I had to look up who Larry Graham was.

Not many bands did bass solo's as Cliff Burton did and it was a snooze fest when his replacement tried it. Burton was a song writer too and the band he was in (IMO) went to sh1t pretty quickly after his demise so maybe he was not technically the greatest but he contributed on another level. Still he was signed on the spot after the band first saw him and Dave Mustaine supposedly said at the time they had found the new Steve Harris. And if you've ever heard the pre-Burton Metallica stuff the bass playing is just plodding along anonymously. Jaco Pastorius anyone?

yea jaco is another great

yea jaco is another great

great yes, but only legendary in muso circles. frankly i find jaco outside of a band context a bit boring. his best work was with joni mitchell imo.

on the other hand, i'm sure there are many who've never touched an instrument who can tell you who cliff burton is and how good he was.

Rob Trujillio, ironically is a decent bass player, especially with Suicidal Tendencies.

metzengerstein, while Burtons bass parts may not be fast enough for you, in the context of his song writing and arrangements, he was pretty great, for "just a bass player", imo.
    Plus, what other band from the 80s or now has a tune like Anasthesia?

didnt mean to have that all in bold either???...

you could argue that Buton wrote catchier hooks/songs.

There are lots of great guitarists out there far better than cobain (steve vai et al), but Cobain wrote the catchier songs....(to some)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭KevLeppard

Yeah, +1 on that.

He was a typical bass player for that kind of music, nothing to get overly excited about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,632 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

played "lead" bass

writing or co-writing credits
    I would never describe Burton as 'average', but legend when compared to his peers? No.

First of all, bass solos are boring, and I am a bassist. I haven't often come across a bass solo that doesn't make me yawn or even comes across as being a decent tune, and Anaesthesia is no exception. It's little more than a bunch of scales and arpeggiated patterns thrown together with no proper tune to it. And I rarely listen to Kill Em All without skipping over it.

Dave Ellefson is not just a technically superior bassist...

And theres more. Besides, putting up with Mustaine's crap for over 19 years is enough to make him a legend :D

Bello ain't so bad himself

basically, what i'm saying is: try to find another bassist who played, wrote and sounded like cliff from that era, in that genre
    Can't say I know anyone who played, wrote and sounded exactly like Burton, but I could say the same for Ellefson. Then again, I'm not saying that had Burton not joined Metallica that RTL and MOP would have turned out the exact same
    dasdog wrote:
    Not many bands did bass solo's as Cliff Burton did and it was a snooze fest when his replacement tried it.
    Was it a snooze fest when he did it? IMO, yes.
    seachto7 wrote:
    Not many, thankfully

BTW, I'm not trying to get at anybody here. But if you think Burton is a legend and the be-all and end-all of bass playing from that era, then you really need to get out and listen to more music. And stop watching Cliff Em All!

to me, bello and ellefson are savage players but no better or worse than burton. What did Ellefson ever do that was far superior to Burton? At least Bello and Burton played with their fingers instead of a pic :D

Bello I'd rate higher out of the three. He's savage.

Burton, maybe not a legend, but you can't fault his input to Metallica...

However, Dean De Leo (or is it the other fella!) in Stone Temple Pilots. THERE's a class bass player..

seachto7 wrote: »

However, Dean De Leo (or is it the other fella!) in Stone Temple Pilots. THERE's a class bass player..

it is the other fella, robert, and no argument from me....have a couple of his bass tracks i'll post in the coming days, but i digress....

i suppose theres no convincing some that burton was the top of his genre at the time, oh well, your loss. but the last solo of orion? the intro to damage inc? snooze fests? puh-leeze....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

To post a thread proclaiming anyone as a legend has to contain more than a couple of stuio tracks. Give me something else. Some improvised studio/bootleg recordings. Some new unheard material. Yes he was great but on this basis no more a legend than he already was

• Advertisement

seachto7 wrote: »
    Rob Trujillio, ironically is a decent bass player, especially with Suicidal Tendencies.

metzengerstein, while Burtons bass parts may not be fast enough for you, in the context of his song writing and arrangements, he was pretty great, for "just a bass player", imo.

didnt mean to have that all in bold either???...

Trujillio is a far better player also ,his work in infectious grooves is awesome ,and dont think he is playing to his full abillity with metalica ,no wonder he left.and not that burton wasnt fast enough hes just not as good as people make out and certainly not at legend status

how do ya get vids up on here ,ill post some solos

victor wooten is an example of a legend bass player ,that guy can play any style perfect and amazingly inventive,while some of it may be boring it still is amazing

ive just watched cliff em all solos just to refresh my memory .he may aswell have been a guitarist,they all sound the same and certainly not legend status

ive just watched cliff em all solos just to refresh my memory .he may aswell have been a guitarist,they all sound the same and certainly not legend status

fair point, but look at it from the 80's point of view. no one was doing that then. he was innovative. a bassist making his bass sound like a guitar is common place now.

has wooten got one piece of music that he would be remembered for in 30 years time? admittedly jaco has a couple, be he was also innovative. how many times have you heard "wooten, he's the guy that did....."

oh and to embed videos, use the youtube tags when you're posting and put the youtube url after the = in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭eddie.fandango

Cliff wasn't a legend just because of his bass playing guys, it was so much more than that. His look, the way he played his bass, his attitude, the way he owned the stage. I hate to use the idiom, but he really had the "X-factor", the stuff of legends.

fair point, but look at it from the 80's point of view. no one was doing that then.

I think you hit the nail there, it's the fact that nobody else (that I can think of) was doing it at the time, maybe now it seems tame, but back then, I'm sure it was great....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Yes, Cliff Burton is good and entertaining, but not spectacular. I think a lot of Metallica fans are blinkered. There are so many amazing bass players out there, especially when combined with a good drummer.

Here are some influential (legendary :p) bass players - all have different styles. Some of these are amazing at solos/ free style/ riffs.

Geddy Lee - Rush
    Flea - RHCP
    John Entwhistle - The Who
    Rex Brown - Pantera/ Down
    Ed Gagliardi - Foreigner
    Paul John Jones - Led Zeppelin
    David Ellefson - Megadeth
    Geezer Butler - Black Sabbath
    Dennis Dunaway - Alice Cooper

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    Yes, Cliff Burton is good and entertaining, but not spectacular. I think a lot of Metallica fans are blinkered. There are so many amazing bass players out there, especially when combined with a good drummer.

Here are some influential (legendary :p) bass players - all have different styles. Some of these are amazing at solos/ free style.

Geddy Lee - Rush
    Flea - RHCP
    John Entwhistle - The Who
    Ed Gagliardi - Foreigner
    Paul John Jones - Led Zeppelin
    David Ellefson - Megadeth
    Geezer Butler - Black Sabbath
    Dennis Dunaway - Alice Cooper

fair point, but it actually serves to prove how good burton was as he had to play with ulrich, the drum only tracks for the songs are cringworthy. the man lacked groove, proving it was hetfield and burton holding it together! i suppose you could say the bass only tracks sound a bit iffy as he had to play to an iffy drum track....imagine burton with a decent drummer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

fair point, but it actually serves to prove how good burton was as he had to play with ulrich, the drum only tracks for the songs are cringworthy. the man lacked groove, proving it was hetfield and burton holding it together! i suppose you could say the bass only tracks sound a bit iffy as he had to play to an iffy drum track....imagine burton with a decent drummer.

Yea, when we went to see Slipknot a few years ago the acoustics were awful and the bass was off and that was putting Joey off (or vice versa) and it didn't mesh at all.

Advertisement