Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body Pump Workout - Women's opinion needed

Options
  • 16-04-2009 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi,

This may be needed to be moved to the Sports section but I was hoping to get some Honest Women's opinions

I am trying to get fit and I did a bit of research and I came across Body Pump ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BodyPump). It seemed like a good workout so I signed up for a few classes.

I started the Class Last week in Dublin. To my horror, I was the only guy in the class, I would have been happy if there was at least one other guy in the class. I was very self aware in the class, the instructor was sound but I didn't really get the chance to approach her and ask her opinion ( Although I reckon she would have a stock answer through no fault of her own). When I had checked online it did seem that the classes were more popular with Woman but most of the threads/vids I saw some men were involved too.
    I just got on with it and it was a savage workout, fairly intense and I'd like to keep going.
    But my Male pride is messing with me a bit and also the worry that woman in the class would not be comfortable with a guy in the class.
    My OH half, told me not to worry about it ( After a hearty laugh :p) - but I think she needs to say that.
    Am I right or wrong?
    Should I keep going, and if you were a woman in this class would it be an issue that there was a Guy there?
    Honest opinions would be really appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

I think for men - most of them prefer to do free weights
    It could be part 'oh arent I da man pumping iron', you can access the main muscles using the weights and most of them know each other by doing the same weights/rep's.

Where as classes motivate you to work at it, as others are doing the same
    Classes target alot of muscles weights dont (lower abs, groin etc)
    I just think your gf laughed because you were freaked out being the the only man.
    TBH most of the other guys will see you in the class and get jello
    But wouldnt have the balls to go into a room full of women
    If you enjoyed the class keep it up
    And sure you will put gf grin somewhere else when she sees your 6pack at end of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Although this really is a Fitness thread I'll leave this here for the time being.

OP if you like the class, fcuk what everyone else is thinking. It's not a women-only class, you have as much right to be there as anyone else.

Women who are annoyed at a man being there (and they'll bein the minority I'd wager) are most likely just embarassed and I wouldn't give them a second thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Hi OP. I done Body Pump last year and there were always more women than men. It started off all women and then one guy started and eventually a few more began to trickle in. The great thing about the Pump class is you can adjust the weights for your own strength so their is no reason that men and women of any strength and size can't join in.

Enjoy it and don't be self conscious as people are putting too much effort into lifting them weights to pass any heed of whats going on around them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭terrytrent

Thanks LouOB, g'em and lubie76. Appreciate the responses.

I used to do a fair amount of free weights work in the gym but it was hard for me to stay motivated. I really need someome to be cracking the whip at me.

I'm leaning towards sticking it out, but will see how it goes.

Thanks again

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I go to a circuit class that has about 30 women and between 2 -4 men at each class. The instructor is male, and while the class is not gender specific, it just seems more women go to classes than men. It is never an issue, in fact, I never seem to notice what guys are there. You just get on with your own sweat and pain. :) Give yourself a few weeks to settle in and get to know a few faces. That should take the edge off your feeling awkward, because the others become people you know, rather than just 'women'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement