Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Usernames

• 16-04-2009 11:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭

This has nothing to do with cycling but I was thinking, where did you all get your usernames from.

Mine's my second name. My Mother said I was named after St. Thomas Aquinas (The patron St. of Scholars) but I later found out she befriended a Nun when she was a kid in hospital.

So yes I was named after a Nun:eek:

Caroline & Gavin needn't bother respond to this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I was registering at my desk in work, eating a tin of beans and looking around for inspiration :rolleyes: Creative, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Called Horse by some as we always had one but once I got on the bike I tended to go backwards off the bunch so it seemed perfect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

just typed in the 2 letters on bottom left of keyboard from left to right, the very first time I registered a game called Delta Force 2 back in 2000 and have used that name for everything ever since

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It means 'the fool' in Spanish. I was just starting to learn Spanish when I registered. After a while I realised that more people would associate it with the Lone Ranger, which is not good. Been meaning to change it to the same nick I use on other forums, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i was going to use "i am a cycling god" * in a hammond-esque voice driving a bowler wildcat but i'm ed living in nwireland and already had a hotmail address of the same name and so it came to pass i used ednwireland

* maybe an slight exaggeration

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

oldrottenhat.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

simply my initials in lower case (Brian Attley = ba)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

It's part of my main email address and created the email address number of years back when i was getting my car! The address was only used for junk forwards and newsletters so didn't want my name in the address!

So imaginative I know!

Oh and boo hiss i own a car!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I always thought it was because you liked sheep :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Between ba and Raam there's a lot of sheep related nicks here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Hotmail suggested it to me years ago and me being lazy accepted it and then i became peterk19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Rattling my brain years ago trying to come up with an ebay username and my wife came up with Hungry because, you guessed it, I'm always hungry. Oh and my name is Colin! Hungrycol was born!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

A brief unhealthy obsession with bicycle lighting, currently in remission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

Lumen wrote: »
    A brief unhealthy obsession with bicycle lighting, currently in remission.

Unhealthy to the point where you might have a spare SON lying about the place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I always thought it was because you liked sheep :)

Doesn't explain your username though :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I needed a six letter word for use as a password on a work related mobile phone app - I selected JAWGAP as it is made from the first letters of six different keys on the phone - which meant it could be put in quickly without having to cycle through the other letters.......

.......now I'm thinking I should change it to anorak!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Hermy is the lead character in The Summer of '42.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Off Beat is the name of my company - have an email address aidan.offbeat@...

so figured i'd use the same username for everything...

Not very interesting, I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Great thread by the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Nothing to do with the Race Across America, nor with sheep.
    When registering for Boards I was first "Boss", but that was rubbish so then I was listening to Lemon Jelly and went through the songs on the album and came up with "King Raam", which is just as rubbish, so I eventually shortened it to Raam.

• Advertisement

rottenhat wrote: »
    Unhealthy to the point where you might have a spare SON lying about the place?

Haven't explored dynamos yet. Got to the point where I had a collection of torches and had started assessing whether a B&M Big Bang might be good value for money, freaked myself out, and stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

my 1st name ... and ie as in 'Ireland' ... I am not even irish .. meh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I hate my boards moniker. It sounds really folish when asked on a spin, what is your boards name, and have to answer ROK On.

Anyway, I joined the forum last year while preparing to do the Ring of Kerry cycle (ROK). (It was my first cycling event/sportif). When I had to give a username, all I could think of was ROK On.

How does one change the username?

Haven't explored dynamos yet. Got to the point where I had a collection of torches and had started assessing whether a B&M Big Bang might be good value for money, freaked myself out, and stopped.

And you have moved on to powermeters. Face it you are a techie freak.;)

You probably shuld change your name to something llike The Wattmaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

el tonto wrote: »
    Between ba and Raam there's a lot of sheep related nicks here.

And one pig. Or so she says anyway. :D

I likes pigs. Well pork really, but I don't call them that to their face. The trotters, the ribs, the ham, rasher, sausages... It's all good.

I'm hungry now.

EDIT: Oh btw, I just got a new bike, so I shall start rambling about it on the forums very soon.

You have to subscribe.

I too feel the pain of embarrassment, I generally just use Dirk now.

ROK ON wrote: »
    I hate my boards moniker. It sounds really folish when asked on a spin...

I think everyone feels that way. I know I do.
    How does one change the username?

You need to become a subscriber. Then you just ask in the name change forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

I can be a bit of a fool. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I hate introducing myself using my Boards name, so cringy.

It used to be free, back in the day when things were free. I know I wasn't a subscriber when I had my name changes. Now they make you pay, sigh.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    You have to subscribe.

I too feel the pain of embarrassment, I generally just use Dirk now.

Can't see why you are embarassed. Of all the forums that I check out, you have by far and away the best username. It's a proper internet name. Awesome.

You probably shuld change your name to something llike The Wattmaster

Picowatt would be more appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

TBH, Its a peice of piss for me..... some of us aren't ashamed of who we are.

While riding with LDB and Raam (not their real names) it was suggested that everyone should have pro rider names derived from their bike components.

The tall lanky one was called "Cervelo Velo". These are not like '**** Star' names from when you were 21. It was agreed I had to buy reynolds wheels to keep up with the Scott Reynolds theme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Its code, and if I tell you I'll have to....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Rattling my brain years ago trying to come up with an ebay username and my wife came up with Hungry because, you guessed it, I'm always hungry. Oh and my name is Colin! Hungrycol was born!
    As I mentioned to you when I first met you, I had taken it to mean you were hungry to cycle over cols :)

Mine is just the first thing that came into my head when I first registered for something many many years ago.

• Advertisement

Picowatt would be more appropriate.
    You could subcribe and then change your name to reflect what you could power with you mean 1 hour power. i.e.

Light Bulb
    Computer - Mac
    Toaster
    Television
    Computer - PC
    Small House
    Apartment Building
    Tullamore
    Dublin
    etc.........
    etc...........

While riding with LDB and Raam (not their real names) it was suggested that everyone should have pro rider names derived from their bike components.

The tall lanky one was called "Cervelo Velo". These are not like '**** Star' names from when you were 21. It was agreed I had to buy reynolds wheels to keep up with the Scott Reynolds theme.
    Good idea. I may change my name to Dolan Fulcrum, or Deda Ultegra, or Hercules San Marco. :D

blorg wrote: »
    Mine is just the first thing that came into my head when I first registered for something many many years ago.

Its always something from a long time ago I guess and should be consistently used across forums. My original 'monkier' from 1995 was Polemann. Why that, my brother was called 'StickMan'.

Another friend if mine saw a battery on the wall of my brothers room and the brand 'Ultrex' became his.

Good idea. I may change my name to Dolan Fulcrum, or Deda Ultegra, or Hercules San Marco. :D

Crickey that's some excellent options....

Dirk, what about you 'Tony and Guy'

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭ratsam

Used to play a lot of Quake 3 Arena both online and on a Lan. On the Lan end I was winning a lot and the lads named me Master... I didnt like that so reversed it to Retsam which evolved to Ratsam (because it sounded better.... how shallow...!)

Rats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

blorg wrote: »
    As I mentioned to you when I first met you, I had taken it to mean you were hungry to cycle over cols :)

Yeah I remember and wish it was now. I'm going to start lying about how I came up with the name in future!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Quake 3. So Nouveau.

Verb was my Quake moniker, which was previously --G--. It struck fear into my opponents.

It then reached a stage where, as everyone describes, introducing myself with my online name grew cringe worthy, so I took the easy option.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭stopped_clock

Talk a lot of ****e, but I'm right twice a day (I think, at least). Except noone knows when. Also, my actual-name based username has already been taken by another poster on this forum.

I'm liking how my assumptions about the usernames are way off! I presumed El Tonto was cause of the Lone Ranger and Raam was from Race Across America... And yes, that Ba was a sheep thing...

I've never yet introduced myself with my username, but if I do ever make it out on a boards spin, I can't see myself keeping a straight face.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

Mine was a hot mail suggestion, Fek knows how they came up with it. When I typed it in on here I accidentally put in a hyphen and a space, and now its stuck. I do like rabbit mind (to eat!).....mmmmmmmmmmm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Mine is totaly random... I'm not bold and not a whacker either.... I'm not from dublin (which the name kinda suggests) I'm from cork.

Strange how the brain works...
    As for changing your tag, why bother? Its all about what your used to... also isn't life about having a laugh and if you want to be known as a computer game character on the forum you use so be it!!!

Live it love it:cool:

(gotta change my signature though)

Originally I was Ace_Rimmer. Turns out non-Red Dwarf fans thought the username meant something else. Went for Myth for no reason other than the username was free, and I did a brief stint as EduMyth which is an in-joke on another forum. Recently since I was signing my name after several of my posts on other boards anyway I thought it'd just be easier to change the username to my first name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

I wanted Lucky Luke, after a childhood comic book hero:

LuckyLuke.jpg

(in an odd bit of PC revisionism, these days his cigarette has been replaced with a piece of straw)

Anyway, some interloper got there first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

We have a 'Manky Bianchi' too (The Claw)....

I don't mind my username, and am happy for people to call me Tiny or Mr Explosions... my problem is that 'Al' is too short for most websites -damn them and their 3 letter minimum!

Oh man, Hercules San Marco is by far the coolest name ever! Screw internet names, I'm changing my real name to that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

Mine is just my initials, terribly boring!

You can just call me Bianchi from now on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement