Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Usernames

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Oh man, Hercules San Marco is by far the coolest name ever! Screw internet names, I'm changing my real name to that!

You'd be primed to go into business as a gigolo if you did.
    LDB wrote: »
    Mine is just my initials, terribly boring!

And I always thought it meant Lady B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

Oh yea, that sounds much better :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

I started working in a factory around 12 years ago, I was quiet young and was working in the stores helping out or being the gofer, some of the lads didn't know my name so started calling me Junior as a slag, so I kept the name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Oh man, Hercules San Marco is by far the coolest name ever! Screw internet names, I'm changing my real name to that!

I think someone said it a while ago but Dirkhairdoo would be better:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

+1 Hercules San Marco. I will contribute to a fund to help ROK_ON change his name to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

A certain boardsie has his (real) name and country flag gracefully stickered on to his bike.

Against all odds I thought it looked brilliant.

Someone suggested we do the same with our boards monikers, but that's a little too close to the Star Wars jersey for my liking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

Mine's a poker term. Was actually playing online when I registered and it was the first thing that popped into my head...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Lumen wrote: »
    A certain boardsie has his (real) name and country flag gracefully stickered on to his bike.

Someone suggested we do the same with our boards monikers, but that's a little too close to the Star Wars jersey for my liking.

Or maybe onto some board apparel? I wouldn't mind it on a cycling cap (can't spell the french term).

Or maybe onto some board apparel? I wouldn't mind it on a cycling cap (can't spell the french term).

Only if I can have my post count dynamically updated like this:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Needabike

Well lets face it......we all do don't we

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭StudentC

The first time I posted was in one of the education forums, I wanted my actual name but somebody already had it and the many variations I tried. So with the forum that I was posting to in mind, I went with student and C for my name.

I can't say I like it, but at the same time, I don't lose sleep over it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 supadude

No-Daddy-Not-The-Belt

Crouch Waffle

Superdude

Need-money-for-ninja-lessons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

mines from a poem my math teacher showed us while trying to avoid haveing to actually teach us anything.

abcdggs
    mnoggs
    sdrggs
    rdrggs

*its a poem exploring many key themes and aspects of the cultural background of the period.* lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I know mine makes me look like The Enemy, but there's a reason where it started. When getting insured on my first car, I was sure I had the 'just cripple him for no reason' checkbox ticked on my insurance policy. I setup a randomer e-mail address just to try to get an anonymous sort of quote and i've just stuck with it ever since.

It was early days for Internet customer service, but they didn't even reply to my e-mail quote request!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

el tonto wrote: »
    You'd be primed to go into business as a gigolo if you did.

Love the new avatar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

supadude wrote: »
    No-Daddy-Not-The-Belt

Crouch Waffle

Superdude

Need-money-for-ninja-lessons
    you wouldnt happen to play frisbee in ucd??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Raam wrote: »
    I hate introducing myself using my Boards name, so cringy.
    At least you don't run the threat of being punched or spat at.:D:D

Don't know what was going through my head when I picked TTM. Have nothing what so ever to do with the tax system other than paying tax. I was called something else but had to make that person(+all posts) disappear quickly from Boards.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Love the new avatar.

See what I did just there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

See what I did just there?

*Swoon*!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

It was me who suggested it, and if I can get my name changed, then I will put that decal on my bikes.
    Che - if you are reading can you post the link to where you got the name decals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

You can get them here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

@Tonto- stop that.

Aquinas73 wrote: »
    You can get them here

Shame they can't do them on a clear background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

77448.jpg
    Good old Grimey, whatever happened to that guy anyway?

200px-Tombgshci.jpg

He died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

Itsfixed

I like fixed wheel bikes and I also like fixing things, so seemed a good idea at the time. In a similar vein, thought about going with jim'llfixit for a while but I thought better of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭stopped_clock

I like the sound of that actually... Is that the kind of thing that's *not cool* if one's bicycle travels slowly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

I like most of you don't like my boards name, I picked it as I had just watched a film called mallrats, which I thought was hilarious at the time.....its funny now, not hilarious. There is a mall security guard called LaFours in it, but I spelled(sp? :) ) it wrong....hence lafors.

Everywhere else my username is ZippyIJK (as in Zippy & my 3 initials)
    I always wondered how I could change it.....subscribe you say...hmmm maybe

They ruined all our best names like Bruce and Lance and Julian. Those were the toughest names we had! Now they're just.... ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Nothing to do with the Race Across America, nor with sheep.
    When registering for Boards I was first "Boss", but that was rubbish so then I was listening to Lemon Jelly and went through the songs on the album and came up with "King Raam", which is just as rubbish, so I eventually shortened it to Raam.

I thought it was after the Race Across America :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I was named after a 1980's bike, I don't know what my parents were thinking :D
    http://www.yodathewise.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/vektar.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

vektarman wrote: »
    I was named after a 1980's bike, I don't know what my parents were thinking :D
    http://www.yodathewise.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/vektar.htm

They were thinking you would be the coolest kid on the street cycling a bike like that. And they were right. I also had that bike in black when i was a kid, wish i still had it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Gavin wrote: »
    Quake 3. So Nouveau.

Verb was my Quake moniker, which was previously --G--. It struck fear into my opponents.

Quake, eh? Pesky kids! I became Civilian Target after watching a news report on the bombing of Serbia, back in the days when I was signed to Indigo with a flash 33.6k modem... so I guess that was about 1997.

Sadly absolutely nothing to do with being on a bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

CheGuedara - the Kerry version of Ernesto Ché Guevara!

I'm quite interested in the man and his history and it handily lended itself to a username

(can I count on your support in the coming revolution? Don't forget - it's only treason if we lose!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

bruno_wideweb__470x329,0.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

mine tells me apart from stub and stun in real life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

[quote=Hungryboards.ie - Reply to Topiccol;59848087]Rattling my brain years ago trying to come up with an ebay username and my wife came up with Hungry because, you guessed it, I'm always hungry. Oh and my name is Colin! Hungrycol was born![/quote]
    Also thought you had a fancy for the big hills, likewise with ventoux. Mine like ba and LDB is my initials sy. How original:o (Seamus " In the days of ****")
    By the way wonder how each of you ( who have met) were disappointed with the real package when compared to the username.:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I was called something else but had to make that person(+all posts) disappear quickly from Boards.

Were you TimAllen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

sy wrote: »
    Also thought you had a fancy for the big hills, likewise with ventoux. Mine like ba and LDB is my initials sy. How original:o (Seamus " In the days of ****")
    By the way wonder how each of you ( who have met) were disappointed with the real package when compared to the username.:pac::pac:

If you saw me you know it is more of a case of "feed me" then "col climbing whippet".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Were you TimAllen?

I know I've said it before but
    CheGuedara wrote: »
    Ssshhh,

he
    's like Beetlejuice - say his name often enough and he'll appear back ssshhhh!

films-beetlejuice.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I thought I was naming myself purely after a track by the awesome 70s band Suicide. But then I found out I was also naming myself after a crappy action movie (named, in fairness, after the same Marvel Comics character as the Suicide track).

From that point on, I've firmly believed my name was complete sh*te.

I thought I was naming myself purely after a track by the awesome 70s band Suicide.

I love that album. One of my favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Mine too. And I highly recommend our co-boarder Cheguedara, if he reads this, checks out the track "Che". It's the only anti-Che Guevara song a punk(ish) band ever recorded, I reckon.
    I love that album. One of my favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Call me Ruby Castelli ...

Tonto ... you know you will always be Tonto to us ... as a matter of fact I demand on behalf of all cycling forum boardsies to revert back to Tonto ... please ( even thought I quite the new name and avatar )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Tonto ... you know you will always be Tonto to us ... as a matter of fact I demand on behalf of all cycling forum boardsies to revert back to Tonto ... please ( even thought I quite the new name and avatar )

+1. Very funny and all that but... As you were! As you were!!!

I can't really remember how or why I picked this stupid bloody moniker. It was a long time ago when hotmail was a big deal etc. etc. I've been tempted to cough up the dough to subscribe, but I'd probably only change it to something even worse. Repeatedly. //sigh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

Mines just my initials DB, and Cyc represents the fact that I like to cycle! I would cringe if I had to introduce myself as a boards username alright, mine's a bit crap!

Out of interest - on the boards spins, I assume that you refer to each other by your real names rather than usernames (you seem like a very friendly bunch!). I should really find this out by joining you guys on a spin soon after some serious work on my climbing abilities!

• Advertisement

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Were you TimAllen?

Chirst no.:p:p

Used to post a lot on a forum related to my line of work. My employers don't like employees posting on Boards and I heard in work that they were actually trying to find out who I was. If someone had looked back through my posts they'd have figured out who I was quite easily,so asked the mods to remove
    my complete Boards history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

DBCyc wrote: »
    Out of interest - on the boards spins, I assume that you refer to each other by your real names rather than usernames (you seem like a very friendly bunch!). I should really find this out by joining you guys on a spin soon after some serious work on my climbing abilities!

Do. We are friendly. Mostly.

I've been guilty of calling people in real life by their boards name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

niceonetom wrote: »

moi too ...

I call Tonto, Tonto, Raam, Raam, Blorg, Blorg, Gavin, Verb ... mostly these guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

niceonetom wrote: »
    Do. We are friendly. Mostly.

Fair play...I am bad enough at remembering names without having to worry about remembering real names and usernames!

+1

Your new avatar,for some strange reason, reminds me of the Ultimate Warrior from the wrestling years ago.

UltimateWarrior005.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement