Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Usernames

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭yayaitsme

mine is simply because ya ya its me;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Mine too. And I highly recommend our co-boarder Cheguedara, if he reads this, checks out the track "Che". It's the only anti-Che Guevara song a punk(ish) band ever recorded, I reckon.

Cool. Suicide-Che; will check it out
    . Must be something to do with him not being the romantasized revolutionary figure he's sometimes made out to be, right? (gotta say I do have a problem with people wearing the Che tshirts without having a notion of who he was or what he did though)

Not sure how my ipod will feel about something tame enough to be called 'punk(ish)' on it though...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Hurin is the name of a hero in JRR Tolkien's The Silmarillion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

just a silly work thing......but sorry now cause everyone thinks me a boy.....so not....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Kincsem (Hungarian for "my treasure") (1874-1887) was the most successful race horse ever. Born in Hungary (in Kisbér), a national icon who is widely regarded as one of the greatest horses in Thoroughbred racing history, over four seasons she won all 54 of her races against both female and male horses at various race tracks across Europe, a record that's still unbeaten.

She was born and died on March 17th.

First I bet on horses, then went to the races, then got interested in horse pedigrees, bought hundreds of books on horses and pedigrees, then wrote / am writing programs to analyse pedigrees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

moi too ...

I call Tonto, Tonto, Raam, Raam, Blorg, Blorg, Gavin, Verb ... mostly these guys

Don't forget Mr Explosions :)

Verb will always be Verb, and Blorg always Blorg... other than that, most people I use their real name, which is sometimes their boards name :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

So no one get annoyed being called by their boards name on the spins?

Hungrycol wrote: »
    So no one get annoyed being called by their boards name on the spins?

Don't think so... The_Claw's not a fan of being called Manky Bianchi, but that's it afaik :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

I'm probably the only one with my username tattoo'd on me as well aren't i ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mines taken off an old Command & Conquer game I played a few years ago, started using it as it didn't tend to be a username that was already used on alot of sites and I don't like numbers in usernames.

Although its not the same as Cabal I like the computer use meaning of cabal
    the term was used as a semi-ironic description of the efforts of people to maintain some order over the chaotic, anarchic Usenet community

Almost discribes being a mod on boards sometimes ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Junior wrote: »
    I'm probably the only one with my username tattoo'd on me as well aren't i ?

If there is someone else, I'd be willing to place a bet on who it is.

El Tonto wrote: »
    If there is someone else, I'd be willing to place a bet on who it is.

Afraid not mate :)

Have my real initials tattooed on me, but not my boards username, though now I think about it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Got it one. And don't worry about your iPod's feelings. Whatever words you might use to describe Suicide, "tame" wouldn't be one of them! (Check out the gruelling "Frankie Teardrop" on the same album. You might need a stiff drink after it...)
    CheGuedara wrote: »
    Must be something to do with him not being the romantasized revolutionary figure he's sometimes made out to be, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

Whatever words you might use to describe Suicide, "tame" wouldn't be one of them! (Check out the gruelling "Frankie Teardrop" on the same album. You might need a stiff drink after it...)

I dunno...I don't think you could clear a room with them any more. They've been so comprehensively ripped off by the likes of Spacemen 3 over the years that they're almost comfortingly familiar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

rottenhat wrote: »
    I dunno...I don't think you could clear a room with them any more. They've been so comprehensively ripped off by the likes of Spacemen 3 over the years that they're almost comfortingly familiar.

Did Suicide do that one... Misery Train, or am I thinking of someone else?

I like that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Because of my job (I work for a trade union) and I don't mind being called unionman out on a spin. But it was very much a case of the first thing that popped into my head when I was registering, and I'd only been in the job a few weeks.

I might change it to something that reflects my style of cycling.

climbshillslowly
    headwindwhinger
    doesmybumlookbiginlycra
    eurofixie
    slowlyroundmountain
    slowlyroundflat
    carbonfibrepotbelly

...or not:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

unionman wrote: »
    climbshillslowly
    headwindwhinger
    doesmybumlookbiginlycra
    slowlyroundmountain
    slowlyroundflat
    carbonfibrepotbelly

Some of those have a Native American/First Nations ring about them, esp slowlyroundmountain. Me likey, although sounds like you're being a tad hard on yourself :pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

It was an online gaming name given to me after I was told using my last name followed by the first letter of my name was not on. It's related to my family's business which I used to work for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Glitterangel76

Ok in my defence..I was in work and I just wanted to know if I could take my bike on the dart..and I had to create an account..

Anyway.. My Gran used to tell me all that glitters is not gold, my first name means Angel and 76 cos of the year I was born...It used to be an old email address so its my fall back username. Saying that my friends think it suits me...so tis all good :D

I have a tattoo that kinda matches my user name....but that wasn't the reason I got the tattoo or visa versa... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Ok in my defence..I was in work and I just wanted to know if I could take my bike on the dart..and I had to create an account..

Anyway.. My Gran used to tell me all that glitters is not gold, my first name means Angel and 76 cos of the year I was born...It used to be an old email address so its my fall back username. Saying that my friends think it suits me...so tis all good :D

I have a tattoo that kinda matches my user name....but that wasn't the reason I got the tattoo or visa versa... ;)
    Coincidentally, the Glitter Band had a hit called 'Angel face' around that time, I'm a mine of useless information BTW.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

No way, dude. Dark as some of Spacemen 3's stuff is (e.g. "When Tomorrow Hits"), it's still locked into an aesthetic of beauty. Nothing I've heard from them is in the same league as "Frankie Teardrop", which is brutally, unmelodically, insistently ugly. Check it out again - you'll know what I mean. It's about as comforting as a slipped disc.

This isn't about cycling any more, I know,so... um... anyone watching the Amstel Classic tomorrow?
    rottenhat wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

This isn't about cycling any more, I know,so... um... anyone watching the Amstel Classic tomorrow?

We could take it over to the experimental music forum if it wasn't so dead.

I know what you mean, but "Frankie Teardrop" is far and away the heaviest thing on the album...there's far more stuff like "Rocket USA" and "Ghost Rider" that wouldn't raise an eyebrow amongst even the most conservative music fans these days. And "Cheree"...anyone who can't get behind that is an imbecile in my book.

I guess I'm basically saying that it must have been very easy to be controversial back in the days when playing a synthesiser in a punk club was enough to get you bottled off stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭avalanche

the name of my last mountain bike GT avalanche which was of course stolen..

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

*bump*

I think a lot of people have joined since this thread was last visited......

Might be fun :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

*bump*

I think a lot of people have joined since this thread was last visited......

Might be fun :)

Given the way you were beaming as you crested Seskin on Sunday, i think it might be time to change yours to godifeckinlovethehills ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Possibly the least interesting of the stories, I did an impression of Captain Haddock, my mate thought I said Captain Havoc and it stuck for about a week until I started using it here. My previous boards name was very unrememberable.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Possibly the least interesting of the stories, I did an impression of Captain Haddock, my mate thought I said Captain Havoc and it stuck for about a week until I started using it here. My previous boards name was very unrememberable.
    Well I remember it....(and also your connection with Jedward!)

So Haddock it is then:D

Mine arose from last year's WW200, when I was was "awarded" number 666.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Beasty wrote: »
    Well I remember it....(and also your connection with Jedward!)

So Haddock it is then:D

Mine arose from last year's WW200, when I was was "awarded" number 666.

That's not the only time you got 666 is it? :p

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭rughdh

I've made better username choices on other forums. I'd change my boards one, but it'd cost me the price of ten audaxes. "Ru" was already taken. I thought folks would get that it was a pre-reform Irish spelling pronounced the same way. Could be wrong about the pronunciation, though.

Tiny's spelling of "rugaha" sounds and looks much better, but today I feel a bit like a Dave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭ten speed racer

From a childhood desire to own a ten speed racer that was never sated. By the time a got a road bike it was a 12 speed...

There was also a Dublin band about in the late 90s called Ten Speed Racer. They weren't very successful, but I seen them a few times and thought they were pretty good and had a great name...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Mine, something about riding a trek and being a bit mad I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Mine's crap, didn't put much thought into it & now I'm stuck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Mine's crap, didn't put much thought into it & now I'm stuck with it.

You can change it if you become a subscriber.

Mine, well mine is just awesome. Unfortunately it doesn't mean anything.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

CramCycle

It's an anagram

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

CramCycle wrote: »
    CramCycle

It's an anagram

Hello Mr. Marc Cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I think mine wins on the nerdiness front. I was rebuilding my OpenBSD firewall/server while registering. The first few usernames I tried were already taken, so I went with the name of the cipher that OpenBSD uses and bases it's logo off.

Of course, I later discovered that blowfish.com is actually a sex toy shop....

p.s. Is it sad to own a t-shirt which has the same picture as your avatar on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭coolbeans

beans wrote: »
    I was registering at my desk in work, eating a tin of beans and looking around for inspiration :rolleyes: Creative, no?

Same as beans but I'm just that little bit cooler :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Dizraeligears

Disraeli Gears

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search
    Disraeli Gears 200px-DisraeliGears.jpg Studio album by Cream Released 2 November 1967 (UK)
    9 December 1967 (US) Recorded May 1967 at Atlantic Studios, New York City Genre Blues-rock, psychedelic rock, hard rock Length 33:39 Label Reaction (UK)
    ATCO (US)
    Polydor (Remaster) Producer Felix Pappalardi Professional reviews Cream chronology Fresh Cream
    (1966) Disraeli Gears
    (1967) Wheels of Fire
    (1968) Disraeli Gears is the second album by British blues-rock group Cream. It was released in November 1967 and went on to reach #5 on the UK album chart.[1] It was also their American breakthrough, becoming a massive seller there in 1968, reaching #4 on the American charts.[2] The album features the two singles "Strange Brew" and "Sunshine of Your Love".
    The title of the album was taken from an inside joke. Eric Clapton had been thinking of buying a racing bicycle and was discussing it with Ginger Baker, when a roadie named Mick Turner commented, "it's got them Disraeli Gears", meaning to say "derailleur gears," but instead alluding to 19th Century British Prime Minister, Benjamin Disraeli. The band thought this was hilarious, and decided that it should be the title of their next album. Had it not been for Mick's turn of phrase, the album would simply have been entitled "Cream."
    The original 11-track album was remastered in 1998, and then subsequently released as a two-disc Deluxe Edition in 2004.
    In 2003 the album was ranked number 112 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time[3]. VH1 also named it their 87th greatest album of all time the same year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Raam wrote: »
    Hello Mr. Marc Cycle.

Planet X

Next Alp
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 savedbythebell

I almost got married once but i was...........saved :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

My username derives from the fact that I live in a forest & spend my time robbing from the rich & giving to the poor. For this I am hailed by all for being a thief! Hence, 'Hail 2 da thief'.

Or maybe it's because I was listening to one of my favourite bands Radiohead while registering. It's deinetly one or the other ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

My real name is Dermot, which backwards is Tom Red, which is (more or less) Tomas Rojo in Spanish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

An amalgamation of my (unfortunate) nickname, Buster and the fact that I used to play bass. Originally joined Boards for band-related stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

great thread, missed it first time round.

mine is cause I stumbled across boards looking for info on ucd before I went, and I first started on that forum when I joined, never realised you could post on other forums at the time..and I joined the UCD one.. so... :pac:

Basster wrote: »
    An amalgamation of my (unfortunate) nickname, Buster

your one hard guy, love your work on mythbusters.

Oh and to the OP [Velo] I thought yours was the word for 'bike' in french :)
    disappointed to learn otherwise here xD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

Boring, mine just comes from my first bike when i started cycling 3yrs ago the one and only fabtabulous fondriest max carb. I have added five more bikes to the stable since so maybe a change of name is on the cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭leftism

000cb5e1.jpeg

Also because i am both left-handed and left-footed...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

Mine, well mine is just awesome. Unfortunately it doesn't mean anything.
    Do you have a very quiet twin Dirk, who has a similar awesome username? Looks like he had the idea before you:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭girvtheswerve

Mine comes from a nickname for Girvan Dempsey, the former Irish rugby player.

Always thought it was funny and came into my mind when I was setting up an account...

Do I play rugby? Of course not:D

Advertisement