Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Strangers and a farce

• 16-04-2009 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

What about that stupid competition that Beat ran. It was so wrong in so many ways and to see the father of the "bride" actually taking part and giving her away. Interesting to see that there doesnt seem to be any mention of the event on the Beat website now that the whole thing turned out to be an unmitigated flop. Serves them right. They got what they wanted - publicity, but, methinks, more negative than positive. I am sure the people in TCH are amused. Funny thing too that Mr Mc Carthy didnt have anything about it on his programme, i.e. unless i missed it. If it was any other station or publication other than a sister one he would be at his usual sanctimonious tut-tuting and laughing at the stupidity of the whole thing.

Comments

It seemed like a crazy idea from the start. I dont think it will do Beat any favours. What a waste of money and time. As for the couple themselves, they were hardly so stupid as to believe it might work out. Some people will do anything for attention/drama/ publicity.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ill move this into the city forum as BeatFM is based in Waterford.

Topic Moved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭W1llz0rz

Why what happened with it? I don't ever listen to Beat, just heard about all this from friends. Did it go belly up or something? What a stupid idea from an even more stupid radio station. Repeat FM they should call it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

to be fair to BEAT they have done this experiment in a number of countries around the world and I believe that on a couple of occasions that they stayed together and they still are today.

I kept a vague interest in the show because I listen to BEAT going into work and I thought the girl "Lady" sounded nice. I didn't like the sound of ya man to be honest. I wasn't impressed by the photos on the wedding day they didn't seem happy and I wasn't surprised when Mrs Ziedth told me it didn't work out.

For everyone who is giving out about them trying it I'll tip my hat to them for trying something different. its an easy option to take the WLR route and have people ringing in giving out about the various articles in the munster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

The father of the bride had two options, support her daughter or not. What would you do? Her friends put her in for this competition and I suppose it was a case of I'm in this far now....

In saying that, her family, obviously, were not impressed with her but hey, it's done now and I'm sure they've received some kind of remuneration for it.

I think it was a poor choice of promotion from Beat but they managed to get Vodafone on to sponsor and several other reputable companies and it was managed in many areas of the national press so i suppose they might view it as a success. Only they know for sure though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

W1llz0rz wrote: »
    Why what happened with it? I don't ever listen to Beat, just heard about all this from friends. Did it go belly up or something? What a stupid idea from an even more stupid radio station. Repeat FM they should call it.

See: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0415/1224244720828.html

Its been in pretty much all the papers since the weekend. A lot of critiscim pointed in the direction of BeatFM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

heard about this through boards and had a look at the pictures there

This probably sums it up pretty well from the sounds of it:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=4334&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=cc07c975bcdfa268cdbaae5c1ba2d115

ziedth wrote: »
    I kept a vague interest in the show because I listen to BEAT going into work and I thought the girl "Lady" sounded nice. I didn't like the sound of ya man to be honest. I wasn't impressed by the photos on the wedding day they didn't seem happy and I wasn't surprised when Mrs Ziedth told me it didn't work out.

It would seem that she hasnt been so nice in recent weeks, judging by comments by "Batman", BeatFM and local papers. Big hint from Batman, I felt, in todays Indepdent.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

this ain't at all surprising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 steveaustin

I listen to Beat most mornings before flicking over to Ray Darcy on TodayFm at 9pm. The morning crew on Beat can be quite funny and entertaining while I'm trying to wake up. So by default I ended up following this.

To be honest I thought it was tacky mainly for adding in the wedding element and the silly interviews (Neighbours or Home&Away? KFC or Micky Ds? Blue or Black? etc).

I think who ever put there names forward (or someone elsesname forward) are brave but they must realise they have signed themselves over to the media intrusion by doing it. I'd say now they are properly sick of reading about themselves. It will be old news next week cause Cowen will do something to take our minds off it :-)

btw, what type of "expert panel" did they have? I wouldn't have matched the two of them.

Here is a Social experiment that would probably work with a bit of thought put into it -
    Do blind dates really work?

Set up 5 blind date couples using an "expert panel" and send them out on a sponsored restaurant night out, no radio crew following them with a mic, interview them next day then come back to them in 3 months time and interview them to see how they got on over the few months of space off the radio.
    No need to reveal names until after the 3 months. Call them Couple A , B etc. Keep it simple!!!!
    You would need a few couples cause using 1 couple wouldnt be a good gauge for an experiment.
    Another angle to it could be matching them using their star signs.
    Or even better, have 5 blind date couples and match each couple using a different technique. So no need for expert panels :-)

I reckon Ray Darcys show could pull something like this off because they understand what is tacky and what is not. Ray would say it on the radio if he thought a bit was tacky or not and that is why people like his show. Well that is what I think anyhow. No mention of weddings :-)

Daysha wrote: »
    Not to sound pedantic or anything, but the station isn't called Beat FM.

I have my own connections with the station so I'm not going to say much, but it was obvious from the outset not everyone would be in favour of something as outlandish as two strangers. But, that said, I don't blame Beat for trying something different to gain extra listeners and advertising revenue, especially in the current economic climate.

You know, just from that first sentence, I knew you were going to say that you worked with the station in some capacity. They are obsessive about this whole "It's actually called Beat 102-103"....just because there are a million other beat fms in the world. We don't go around saying WLR 97.5fm do we? And we're not gonna start saying Beat 102-103 so don't bother trying to get us to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

You know, just from that first sentence, I knew you were going to say that you worked with the station in some capacity. They are obsessive about this whole "It's actually called Beat 102-103"....just because there are a million other beat fms in the world. We don't go around saying WLR 97.5fm do we? And we're not gonna start saying Beat 102-103 so don't bother trying to get us to.

:confused: Talk about trying to be confrontational!

You're right, we don't say WLR 97.5, because that's not it's name, just like RTE Radio 1's name isn't RTE1FM, just like Beats name isn't Beat FM.

I don't call it Beat 102-103, just Beat. Unlike you I'm not trying to start an argument, I was simply making a point.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

You're right, we don't say WLR 97.5, because that's not it's name, just like RTE Radio 1's name isn't RTE1FM, just like Beats name isn't Beat FM.

I don't call it Beat 102-103, just Beat. Unlike you I'm not trying to start an argument, I was simply making a point.

And whats the difference between some calling the station Beat FM and others calling it just Beat, because the way I see it both are not the correct title.

http://www.beat102103.com/

So in essience when you said
    Not to sound pedantic or anything, but the station isn't called Beat FM.

The same could be said of you
    I don't call it Beat 102-103, just Beat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Caliden wrote: »
    heard about this through boards and had a look at the pictures there

This probably sums it up pretty well from the sounds of it:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=4334&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=cc07c975bcdfa268cdbaae5c1ba2d115

I thought this was a joke. I mean, I thought it was a joke picture that you found on the internet. But it's actually them!
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0415/1224244720828.html
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/images/2009/0415/1224244720828_1.html

I too was just making a point. I think the people working for beat should worry more about rescuing their station from certain obscurity than being nitpicky about a name.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

http://www.beattwostrangersandawedding.com/index.php

The website for this farce is still up and running

The stations ratings are probably through the roof, advertisers and sponsors are probably delighted. Things fecked up, it was a big risk and probably a disastor in general but I think its safe to say that all those involved got what they wanted out of it. Sure they get negative comments but im sure for each pissed of listener its been replaced by someone else. You know what they say.. no publicity is bad publicity.

Beat have always copied other stations in terms of games etc. This was just another one but on a larger scale. It just didnt work very well.

I think anybody who came out wrong was definitely the couple.

(Btw, I prefer BeatFM or Beat. Beat102103 not a fan off.. what does it matter what its called anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I too was just making a point. I think the people working for beat should worry more about rescuing their station from certain obscurity than being nitpicky about a name.

LOL

Oh man...:D

Anyway, Sully, I can't tell you what the ratings have been like recently, cause I honestly don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

In my opinion, the station should be called 'Let's play the same crap songs over and over and over again FM'. The Breakfast Show is the only one worth listening to. Anyway, let's get away from the naming issue as it's off-topic...

I heard somewhere that while they were trying to decide who would be the bride and groom, the girl who would eventually be picked as the bride described herself as 'a cross between Catherine Zeta Jones and Charlotte Church'. Naturally I assumed she meant in looks, but having seen her photo, I assume now that she meant her ideal man is a geriatric rugby player...

• Advertisement

I just read the article from the times there,

Poor "LADY" isn't exactly shining herself in the best light I mean even if you hate the guy during the honeymoon its best to just come out and say we had a nice time but are going to remain friends Etc. as against kinda writing him off the way she did.

I'll have to admit that picture from caliden made me lol.

What did "Batman" say about her Sully? I missed that.

ziedth wrote: »
    What did "Batman" say about her Sully? I missed that.

Very little really. He wouldnt comment like she did and just said that some stuff she said was hurtful and untrue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

after this farce.... what are the chances of either of them getting a date in the next 12 months.... seriously who would want to be seen out with them

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

robtri wrote: »
    after this farce.... what are the chances of either of them getting a date in the next 12 months.... seriously who would want to be seen out with them

two chances, bob hope and no hope and bob just left town :pac:

robtri wrote: »

She had one lined up since around the wedding according to her interview. Some old friend of hers or something.

He is a free agent and is open to offers. So he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Happy to say this completely passed me by - I must have been listening to grown up radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Was the girl from Tramore??

scout353 wrote: »
    Was the girl from Tramore??

Ya seemingly,

When I saw her pic I was convinced I knew her from somewhere.
    Very little really. He wouldnt comment like she did and just said that some stuff she said was hurtful and untrue.

To be fair i think thats the more Mature option, I never like to see people come out in the paper and slag off someone its outright cowardly IMO.

I like BEAT Breakfast I must say apart from that I generally wouldn't listen too it in fact I couldn't name you one DJ outside of Mary, Niall and Vinnie. I think they are always worth a listen IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Aquos76 wrote: »
    And whats the difference between some calling the station Beat FM and others calling it just Beat, because the way I see it both are not the correct title.

http://www.beat102103.com/

So in essience when you said
    Aquos76 wrote: »
    http://www.beattwostrangersandawedding.com/index.php

The website for this farce is still up and running

So really the site should have been called beat102103twostrangersandawedding.com ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

I hooked up with her before.. :(

Advertisement