Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ron Dennis Quits F1

• 16-04-2009 11:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭

BBC wrote:
    Ron Dennis has handed over complete control of McLaren Racing to team principal Martin Whitmarsh, ending his 43-year involvement in Formula 1.

The 61-year-old stepped down as world champion Lewis Hamilton's team boss on 16 January, but stayed involved in F1.

However, Dennis will now concentrate solely on McLaren's Automotive company.

"I am the architect of this restructure of McLaren. I have no qualms about leaving Martin to look after all matters connected to F1," said Dennis.

"I feel enormously enthused about the prospects for both the McLaren Group and for McLaren Automotive."

As executive chairman of McLaren Automotive, Dennis will lead the group's project to develop a range of pure McLaren sports cars, with the launch date for the first model set for 2011.

And with McLaren due to face the sport's governing body, the FIA, on 29 April charged with breaching the International Sporting Code, Dennis admits his departure will be welcomed by two of F1's biggest names.

"I admit I'm not always easy to get on with. I admit I've always fought hard for McLaren in Formula 1," he said.

"I doubt if (FIA president) Max Mosley or (FIA chief executive) Bernie Ecclestone will be displeased by my decision."

More to follow.

BBC.

Also on SSN now.

Wonder has McLaren's slow start toeh season got anything to do with it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Have to say I was never a fan.

The timing of his step-down makes me ponder on his involvement in the decision-making process connected to the lying affair...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

"Ron is an immensely complex individual," said Whitmarsh. "Nobody would doubt his passion for this sport and team. There will, inevitably, be some things I will miss about him and I won't miss other things about him. He would say the same about me."

In other words, "I don't like him and I'm glad to see the back of him."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    If it wasnt for him and his team orders DC would probably be a WC. Alas it was not to be.

I don't know if I'd go that far, but he would've been remembered as more than a journeyman, which he's better than.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭vectra

About bloody time
    I would agree with Lightning there about DC

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

I'd say he's going to save McLaren the wrath of the FIA for the 'liegate' affair. With him gone, there's a lot less hatred for McLaren. In saying that, good riddance, he gave a lot to Formula 1, i'll give him that, but F1 through the late 90's and 00's would've been all the better without him. He grew way too powerful and pigheaded (IMHO).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Not surprised this was always coming since his announcement in pre-season.
    I was never a fan of him or McLaren.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Now who's going to be the villian of the show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭vectra

FrostyJack wrote: »
    Now who's going to be the villian of the show?

Brawn :rolleyes::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭enzo7

martin whitmarch.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭BarryM3

Dennis announced on March 1st that he was stepping down..This is not new news!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,398 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

bit sad to see him go, always liked his attitude towards racing, was always about performance and the engineering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭enzo7

he stepped down as team principal on march 1st, this is him leaving the formula 1 team fully.

i for one wont miss him!

Advertisement