Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comfort Eating

• 16-04-2009 11:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Ive been doing well on WW for the last 4 months and am just 7lbs away from my target weight. I got engaged 5 weeks ago and plan to marry next April. Thinking this would spur me on even more to reach goal (im not quite ready to start trying on the dresses!!) Ive gone completely the opposite. Not sure if its stress or nerves, but Im finding myself constantly hungry and constantly snacking. All the restraint and discipline I had been using for the last few months seems to have gone out the window and I actually feel powerless (I know this sounds like a major cop-out!!). Its making me feel very miserable and this in itself should spur me back into action but I cant seem to stay on track.

I guess what im looking for is tips/advice to get out of this rut.Im terrified of getting back to my original weight!

Any advce??

Thanks in advance :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Lots of the WWer people are fans of sugar free jelly, which is zero points. It would take a while to put away a massive bowl of it and you are getting water in. Also eat soups, "watered down" food is shown to satisfy your hunger more and lead to less snacking.

You could try aiming for 6 equally sized, equally spaced meals per day. I found this great since my stomach shrank due to never being overly full. So with a smaller stomach you also feel full sooner. Also your next meal is never far away so you can resist snacking easier (no big long wait until dinner).

Foods high in protein also decrease/satisfy hunger too. I made mousse with whey protein powder and sugar free jelly.

Also pick better snacks, e.g. ryvitas & cottage cheese. And if you feel like a snack enforce some rules, e.g. drink a glass of water and wait 5-10mins and see if you are still hungry, it may go away. Many people eat when really they are dehydrated to keep your water intake up. Or other rules could be to do something else instead for 10mins, I used to cook and eat out of sheer boredom, and when I cooked I would put on loads as I saw it as a waste of electricity to cook small amounts, but I would end up scoffing the lot :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

You are getting into a cycle at the moment and when you say comfort eating i would imagine its sugary high GI food. I don't think it is stress or nerves more that the more of the high GI stuff you eat the more you crave and it's difficult to break. Get through a day or two without the junk snacks/white bread and it should pass and you will be back to having more control so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

Thanks rubadub, I think I gotta start thinking properly about it again. I have that protein shake from Nutrition X, guess i could use it to fill me between meals. Im a bit of an emotional eater,so could be linked to the fact am feeling a bit overwhlemed about organising a wedding!

cheers for the tips, hugely helpful as always :)

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

How 'bout you try to keep healthy during the week, and allow yourself the weekend off?

Have 1 day where you go lax on the health regime - maybe 2, it depends on the individual / excercise, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

Thanks eveyone for your advice - all very helpful.

Was off work last week and finally down from the high of the last few weeks (engaqement!) so can start back into a routine. IVe stocked up on salad and fruit for work so hopefully Im getting back into the zone now :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement