Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accountants selling raffle tickets in Perth!!!!

Options
  • 16-04-2009 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I met two guys today one Irish and one English, they were trying to sell me raffle tickets. I talked to them for a bit and found out they were both chartered accountants who came to Oz a few months ago hoping to find some work. After two months of finding nothing they ended up doing this and geting flip all for it!!

This is a sign of the times guys and bad news for qualified travelers hoping to find good work:mad:

The party is over guys:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nextondat

That doesen't supprise me at all, I've been in Perth for over a month with 4 of my friends and we can't get any jobs. We've called so many places and as soon as they here the Irish accent we get the usual "jobs gone mate":mad: Theres a bit of an anti WHvisa thing round here at the mo aswell.... Nice one oz!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Guys, it's been said again and again on this site, the WHV is a working HOLIDAY visa. It's unrealistic for you to expect to get solid work in your chosen profession when you're on a holiday visa. That visa is not now and never was designed for people to get a short-term 'career' job. It's designed for you to work in order to supplement your holiday spending.

It's a different kettle of fish for skilled migrant visas - the work is still here, just not as easy to get as it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 juju40

Guys, it's been said again and again on this site, the WHV is a working HOLIDAY visa. It's unrealistic for you to expect to get solid work in your chosen profession when you're on a holiday visa. That visa is not now and never was designed for people to get a short-term 'career' job. It's designed for you to work in order to supplement your holiday spending.

It's a different kettle of fish for skilled migrant visas - the work is still here, just not as easy to get as it was.
    I'm sorry but you are totally wrong,even when you are only after work to tied you over for your workingholiday it is still very hard to find.what do you suggest people do, sell raffle tickets,work for con artist call centers who do not pay the proper rate of pay.There is going to be a large growth in people being conned into these kind of jobs just so they will be able to survive,i also believe that there has been a large increase of homeless irish on the streets of major citys in australia,young men who for what ever reason cannot find work and feel they cant come back to ireland because they know how bad it is here.I am open to any suggestions you might have,but there is no point in telling people everything is fine an work is available for everyone,when you and i know it isnt.

I didn't say it's fine and there's work available for everyone, so I suggest you read my posts properly before misquoting and misconstruing me.

And frankly, anyone who comes here on a working HOLIDAY visa and expects to get solid career-type work is a foolish person who hasn't done their research. As for homeless on the streets of the capital cities - what is this, a bad Christy Moore song?

Here are some suggestions - don't take a holiday you can't afford in the middle of a recession - because that's what a WHV is. Don't go abroad on a visa that won't facilitate you working a career job when you have financial commitments back in Ireland. If you have a temporary visa and find yourself homeless and without hope of a job, ask family to help you get back to your country of origin. If they can't help you, declare yourself to the authorities.

juju40, this entire forum is full of precisely the sort of advice you're talking about so hold off on another ridiculous rant before you read it, okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

juju40 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but you are totally wrong,even when you are only after work to tied you over for your workingholiday it is still very hard to find.what do you suggest people do, sell raffle tickets,work for con artist call centers who do not pay the proper rate of pay.There is going to be a large growth in people being conned into these kind of jobs just so they will be able to survive,i also believe that there has been a large increase of homeless irish on the streets of major citys in australia,young men who for what ever reason cannot find work and feel they cant come back to ireland because they know how bad it is here.I am open to any suggestions you might have,but there is no point in telling people everything is fine an work is available for everyone,when you and i know it isnt.

1) any stats on these people living on the streets? Or you just make it up?
    2) any link to where everyone said work is fine and available? cause if you actually read any of the threads on this forum, you know no one is actually saying that at all. MJD pointed out on a WHV it would be harder to get than a skilled visa (as less restrictions and less chances of the person leaving the job quicker after being trained etc)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 juju40

I am not prone to having a rant as you say,but do you expect me to just ignore what other people are writing and experiencing,or just take your word for it.Its called freedom of speach,and if i want to write my views on anything i am entitled to do that,as you are yours.What i have not mentioned is that my son is staying in your country at the monent and cannot praise the australian people enough,he had a very bad start to his holiday when he was mugged on the second day and very badly shaken because of this.But he has had great support from both the hostel where he staying and the police,so do not think that i am having a go at you personally,because i am not.Now as for my facts i am telling you what i am being told by people who are there and who have come back to ireland,listen,our country is not the nicest place at the moment,banks going under,goverment gangsters,a leader who is being investigated for ilegal property ownership,gangland murders,you name it we have it,so there is no christy moore song that can cover this,not even dont forget your shovel if you want to go to work,as the constrution industry has gone belly up.Is it any wonder that anyone who has any bit of sense and has the funds to go is going to your country,dont forget,as if we will let you,we have always left our country to find work and now is no different.

:D

1) You don't have freedom of speech on this forum.
    2) Nowhere did I say that there's plenty of work, come one come all. I said there are still jobs for skilled migrants who come on skilled migrant visas, but there are fewer than there were and they're harder to get. I stand over that statement. By 'harder to get' I mean you may not be able to find work in the city where you wanted to live, and you might not be able to find work in a city at all - the countryside may be your best bet.
    3) I don't think you're having a go at me personally. I think you attacked a point you thought I'd made, that I didn't make at all.

So I'll make the basic points that are made again and again on this forum, yet again, for your benefit:

The WHV is a working holiday visa. It was useful in a past life to get people a start with companies who may be inspired by them and therefore sponsor them. THAT NO LONGER APPLIES. It's just a working holiday visa - a visa designed to let you take a 12 month holiday that you can supplement with part time work here and there - enough to get you on to the next sunshine-n-beer party. At the moment WHV-type work is very thin on the ground and you could be lucky or you might not be lucky. Subsequently, the people who come over with the bad idea that they can get enough work here to pay for their financial responsibilties back in Ireland, be that mortgage or car loan or credit cards - those people are in for a shock. I know you have to speculate to accumulate, but you'd be better off not spending your money on a WHV and a return flight to Oz if you're that strapped for cash.

If you have nothing to lose in Ireland, and a little cash on you, then you can try Australia, but be prepared to spend a lot of time strapped for cash if you're on a WHV.

I'm not surprised your 20 year old son can't get a start. It's sad, but it doesn't surprise me. In my opinion, as I posted on another thread, he should try the projects builders to see if he can get a start as a tiler, and if not, try moving out into the countryside to see if he can get part time work out there - but it won't be as much fun as living in the city with the other backpackers, which begs the question: does he want a job or does he want a holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

I think most people here are Irish and actually living here so have first hand experience as opposed to second hand hearsay...as said previously the working holiday is primarliy a holiday so if coming here (and even intending to work) you should at least have enough cash to last a year and a fare home in case of (during bad times) there is little casual work...

I also think most people are well aware of the gombeens running the country...makes us all a little sad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭live2thewire

most irish go to australia for a holiday, especially the ones in last 6 months, if they were that desperate they would go to Germany or France and try find work, but no they are attracted to bondi beach and the sunshine which you can't fault them for but lets not compare them to the polish or lithuanian immigrants. for many i doubt it has hit home or they are aware that this is a global recession hence many viewed 'oz' as some kind of gold rush country where they would go and have the 'craic'

Advertisement