Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Import tax for UK

• 16-04-2009 11:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    After much thinking, I'm going to go for the Nikon 24-77mm 2.8.
    Have any of you been stung with import tax from Hong Kong?
    I bought the 70-200mm VR last year, but I can't remember if I had to pay anything extra!

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Its not a matter of being stung, its a matter of what's legal. And as far as I understand it, if you import from outside of the EU then you are liable to pay taxes and duties as appropriate.

Having said that it is somewhat hit and miss from reports here in the past. I think it best to assume it is part of the cost of your item. With sterling rates what they are, many users have gone north or to a .co.uk to buy in recent times.

Moderation Note: To subsequent posters; Any information, advice or instruction on mechanisms to illegally import items is a ban offence - boards wide policy. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭ViDuchie

Price + Duty + VAT @ 21.5% on that total. They will also use their own exchange rate to calculate all this.
    I've been caught for VAT on delivery charges also in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

If you are purchasing for delivery to the UK then onestop-digital will refund the VAT you pay to customs if you send them a receipt.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Even if they do mark it as gift, the item still could be checked and you would be liable for VAT etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

Also have a think about if the saving is really worth the hassle 6 months down the road if something goes wrong with the lens and you have to send it back to Hong Kong. From my experience after taxes you might only save around 15% from the UK prices by importing from Hong Kong....you might be better getting a price from somewhere like warehouseexpress and then seeing if one of the bigger camera chains in the north will price match - this will also save you 35stg shipping..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

A lot of prices in the UK are as competitive as HK now, due to the Euro/Sterling exchange rate.
    You're better off purchasing from another EU country, to avoid any confusion about Import Duty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

I think you can only claim the VAT back if you are VAT registered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

anoble66 wrote: »
    Also have a think about if the saving is really worth the hassle 6 months down the road if something goes wrong with the lens and you have to send it back to Hong Kong. From my experience after taxes you might only save around 15% from the UK prices by importing from Hong Kong....you might be better getting a price from somewhere like warehouseexpress and then seeing if one of the bigger camera chains in the north will price match - this will also save you 35stg shipping..

Lenses have international warranty (that excludes certain regions like Canada and the USA). Nikon UK will have no issue with a Nikon lens purchased in HK. Digital bodies are a different matter altogether.

Advertisement