Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

about advanced entry..

Options
  • 16-04-2009 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi!
    I am a university student from Estonia( You might not know where it is, so I have to say we are in EU;)) and I am trying to get into your university with advanced entry..I am studying almost the same thing in university in Estonia(in first year) and most of the subjects which i have taken match with those subjects in Business and Management course where i wanna get in(2nd year)..so I have some questions?!
    1. How many people usually are taken in with advanced entry?( maybe you guys know..)
    2. When usually are told that you get in or not?:D

well, thank you anyway. :)

M.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

According to the information here:

http://www.dit.ie/study/undergraduate/advancedentry/

1 - It depends on how the existing students do in their exams
    2 - No definate timeline giving

Maybe email them and ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 cha-rity

well, thanks anyway, i'm gonna check this brochure about advanced entry, i dont know why i didnt do it before, hehe,

i have send my application and all the stuff what has to be send with application...so it seems that i just have to wait....a long time...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭live2thewire

hi, definetly try e-mail, but i will try to look for this information for you anyway.

oh and sure we know estonia, but i always thought it was in a different place on the map :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

cha-rity wrote: »
    well, thanks anyway, i'm gonna check this brochure about advanced entry, i dont know why i didnt do it before, hehe,

i have send my application and all the stuff what has to be send with application...so it seems that i just have to wait....a long time...:(

Hey!

I entered via advanced entry a few years ago. It's actually quite an easy process! But you have to remember that lecturers have tons of things on their minds, so you might be forgotten about. Nothing personal, but you know how it can be :p. My best advice is follow up every letter with an email, and follow up every email with a phone call.

You will end up talking to the people who run the registry in Aungier St. It's unfortunate, but it has to be done! Make sure you have a list of all the modules you've done, and their equivalent ECTS credits.

It's quite straight forward, and DIT are very flexible. There are 8 Austrians on my course this year, I don't think they found the application process too strenuous.

Good luck anyway.

PS, you might not have heard, but the registration fee used to be in the region of 800 euro. Next september it'll be around 1500 euro. Get saving!

Hi!
    Thanks for information, i will consider this...but i have not got any letter or smthn like that yet. i send my application with letter about 1,5 weeks ago, so maybe they just got in the end of last week or smthn..so i have just to wait they to answer..

and did all of the 8 austrians came in with advanced entry( so it seems DIT takes pretty much students with advanced entry) ? and how soon did you get this answer that you are taken in???

also..my relative lives in ireland also and studies in one university and she told if my parents does not earn as much it needs to pay those university fees, then i can study free? so i have to pay still those registration fees?:))))

i am so hoping that they take me in...i have lived in dublin
    (2 months last year) and loving it..

Marit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

You aren't an Irish citizen, so you'll have to pay fees. Probably a few thousand euro. And everyone pays registration as well.

I get the feeling that you didn't actually contact anyone in DIT before you sent your application form. Did you email or ring the course co-ordinator?

Well, I did called the school and they said that i have to fill in this advanced entry application and forward it to them with all other papers they wanted(school leaving examinations, etc). Thats all what they said...

Okay, now i know :D then my relative told me bull**** :D because she havent paid anything.. i did understand the same after reading "fees" section that all EU citizens are handled the same...

now i am a little confused...

i got this from DIT website :

EU Nationals who are first-time undergraduates and resident in an EU state for at least three of the five years preceeding entry to the Institute are normally not required to pay tuition fees.

and that stands for me too...

and also i read from citizensinformation.ie webpage that,

The family income limits for eligibility for a maintenance grant(my parents does not earn that much in a year(still have to remember that we live in Estonia where salary is so little...)) :

Number of Dependent Children Less than 4
    Full Maintenance €39,760
    Exempt from student service *(or registration) €49,690

* Full student service charge is paid where income is at or below this level.

So it seems to me that i still would fit in the "free fee"..

sunnyjim wrote: »
    You aren't an Irish citizen, so you'll have to pay fees. Probably a few thousand euro. And everyone pays registration as well.

Not true.
    There are EU fees and Non EU fees. All EU students pay the same as Irish students, there is no financial benefit to being Irish as opposed to Estonian. Some Non EU students can also qualify for the EU fees.

cha-rity wrote: »
    So it seems to me that i still would fit in the "free fee"..

As long as you are an EU citizen then you qualify for the free fees scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

Lol, business and managment.

• Advertisement

Ass wrote: »
    Lol, business and managment.

why lol?

i like it a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ditmature

Hi OP,

Just to clear up a few things:

Fees:

To qualify for the Free Fees Initiative, you must meet ALL of the below criteria:

1. First Undergraduate Qualification: Application for study in DIT must be your first undergraduate program of study at a recognised NFQ (National Framework for Qualifications) Level AND
    2. Nationality Test: You must be in possession of:
    1. a valid EU passport (note: holders of EEA or Swiss passports are considered EU students for fees assessment) OR
    2. an original, long-form Irish Birth Certificate OR
    3. an original EU National Identity Card OR
    4. be in possession of Official Refugee Status OR
    5. be in Ireland under the Family Reunification Scheme
    6. AND
    3. Residency: You must have been ordinarily resident in an EU member state for at least 3 of the 5 years preceding your entry onto your chosen course in DIT.

Grants:

If you are under 23, you will be means-tested based on your parents' income. However, if your parents do not reside within the jurisdiction of the Local Authority that awards the grant (i.e. Dublin City Council), you cannot be means-tested and will most likely be awarded a "fees-only" grant, which will cover your registration fee (2009/10: about €1500), but won't give you any maintenance payments.

If you are over 23, things might be slightly different...

More information here: http://www.dit.ie/study/mature/support/finance/hegs/

Advertisement