Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have Rush Ever Played Ireland?

• 16-04-2009 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if the Canadian band Rush have ever played in Ireland? I saw them a few times over the years when in live in New York and I seem to recall some Irish guy telling me there that he read a interview with Neil Perth years back saying Ireland was a country Rush would not play cos of the IRA.

It's could of been bull****, but have Rush ever played Dublin does anyone know?

PS: They are an amazing band.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Any tour info I've found online suggest that they have never player here. I did hear something them considering a show here on the R30 tour, but that was just a rumour.
    to recall some Irish guy telling me there that he read a interview with Neil Perth years back saying Ireland was a country Rush would not play cos of the IRA.

Well, you could subsitute that for many bands - Iron Maiden for example (who have played here). I heard similar stories about the likes of Deacon Blue & Wet Wet Wet!

Neil Peart strikes me as far too intelligent a man to use an excuse like that :)
    PS: They are an amazing band.

Yes they are & I'm listening to 'Snakes & Arrows' at the moment! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

They've never played here but hoping the O2 might catch their eye, and maybe the Odyssey in Belfast too, cause I think the hassle of getting here for one or two gigs and lack of decent venue have kept them away. Pretty sure its not the Ra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Yeah, I feel Rush fall into the "too big for Vicar Street, too small for the O2" category as far as Irish gigs go. I suppose one of the indoor RDS venues would be more suitable but I'd imagine adapting the venue takes a bit of work and they're not particularly suited for concerts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

How do you mean? The main income of bands, especially these days, is from touring. so to say that they're not suited is BS. They have an amazing live show, unfortunatly I have to watch them on DVD's and youtube. I'd love it if they played here. Them and Dream Theatre who have never played here either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Yes,as stated by Howard Ungerleider ( Rush lights tech) they did consider playing here for the Snakes and Arrows tour, but needed two venues, Odessy and the O2 to make the logistics worth while. Of course the Point was under re construction at the time.
    Sadly i don't think we will ever see them play here, i don't think they would sell out both venues here. Amazing to see them play to a 95% full MEN arena in Manchester. They do have a good drawing power in the UK, but when was the last time they even got air play on the radio here.:(
    Anyways, looking forward to the next tour, hopefully 2010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

btw Rush have two tracks and an appearance of some sorts in the movie I love you man.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭fluke

LD 50 wrote: »
    How do you mean? The main income of bands, especially these days, is from touring. so to say that they're not suited is BS. They have an amazing live show, unfortunatly I have to watch them on DVD's and youtube. I'd love it if they played here. Them and Dream Theatre who have never played here either.

sorry to be a stickler but yes they did, my bro saw them a few years back in vicar street, it was the 6 degrees of turbulence tour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

galwayrush wrote: »
    i don't think they would sell out both venues here.
    If we all buy 3 or 4 tickets each - problem solved!
    btw Rush have two tracks and an appearance of some sorts in the movie I love you man.:cool:

Yeah, its been getting middling to good reviews, kinda intrigued but looks like a right load of sh1t tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

They do have a good drawing power in the UK, but when was the last time they even got air play on the radio here.:(

Well...there was that morning on Today FM when Matt Cooper was filling in for Ian Dempsey & he played 'Far Cry' :) I was early for work that day!

Actually Dublin City Anna Livia FM have played a couple of Rush tracks on LiveDrive - they had a rock week a couple of months ago, played 'Spirit...' and waaaaaaaay back in it's pirate days Phantom used to call istelf 'The Spirit of Radio' & used a bit of the song as a jingle...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Bring Rush to Rush I say..:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

fluke wrote: »
    sorry to be a stickler but yes they did, my bro saw them a few years back in vicar street, it was the 6 degrees of turbulence tour
    Ah, cool. My mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Would it work if they had another god support band? Goodness knows I'd like some Porcupine Tree with them:D Heres hoping it happens sometime, sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Zerroth

Ive wanted to see this for a few years now! Looks like I will have to travel for it at some point.

Advertisement