Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy restaurant in Dublin city?

• 16-04-2009 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

I'd imagine these are hard enough to come by. So what are the best healthy restaurants around the city? And what are their prices like?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 munsterfan22

Few nice veggie ones around town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Vamoose Killers

Sorry, not looking for a vegetarian restaurant as such. Meat is healthy too you know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

M&S restaurant have healthy options. Mao USED to have WW points on the menu. And generally oriental places - Yamamori/Wagamamma etc are good for healthy food. All of these places would be budget - mid-range prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

define 'healthy'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

There's a lovely one on Dawson St called The Farm Restaurant

http://www.thefarmrestaurant.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭EastWallGirl

Gruel

Good prices taste great and healthy (except for the brownie) ie not covered in cheese or crap sauces.

I think for price and taste it is a keeper.

I suppose any restaurant can be healthy (I'm assuming low fat & calorie conscious here) with a bit of menu manipulation.
    Indian - go for steamed rice and tomato based sauces, or better still tandori chicken (the dry stuff)
    Italian - go for the tomato based sauces again, no sausages! Err on the veggie side of things. Parma ham minus the fat is a great starter.
    Chinese - no fried anything, afaik prawn chow mein has a low WW point score. Stick with boiled and steamed.
    Chipper - no hope!
    Pizza - see chippers
    Bistro style - steamed or baked fish/roasted or grilled meat. Stay away from sauces and stick to salads (dressing on side) and steamed veg. Soup is always a decent enough starter and it really fills you up.
    Japanese - Sushi, ramen and most things that are not fried.

If you want a 'healthy' meal on a night out - I'd go with my original suggestions, so you don't have to look at the steak & frites with hollandaise and get tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

Anything can be healthy as long as it's a balanced portion and not stupidly high in salt, etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Italian food, get a tomato sauce based dish for mains and get salad with bresola in it for starters, its from the topside of the beef so there is almost 0% fat in it, yummy too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

There's a lovely one on Dawson St called The Farm Restaurant

http://www.thefarmrestaurant.ie/

I have to strongly disagree with this one. Bad, cold food. Awful staff. It's just a terrible restaurant altogether.

• Advertisement

olaola wrote: »
    I suppose any restaurant can be healthy (I'm assuming low fat & calorie conscious here) with a bit of menu manipulation.
    Indian - go for steamed rice and tomato based sauces, or better still tandori chicken (the dry stuff)
    Italian - go for the tomato based sauces again, no sausages! Err on the veggie side of things. Parma ham minus the fat is a great starter.
    Chinese - no fried anything, afaik prawn chow mein has a low WW point score. Stick with boiled and steamed.
    Chipper - no hope!
    Pizza - see chippers
    Bistro style - steamed or baked fish/roasted or grilled meat. Stay away from sauces and stick to salads (dressing on side) and steamed veg. Soup is always a decent enough starter and it really fills you up.
    Japanese - Sushi, ramen and most things that are not fried.

If you want a 'healthy' meal on a night out - I'd go with my original suggestions, so you don't have to look at the steak & frites with hollandaise and get tempted.

Removing fat from Parma ham cannot be done.
    And pizza is healthy!!! How can you compare it with chippers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

Oobie wrote: »
    I have to strongly disagree with this one. Bad, cold food. Awful staff. It's just a terrible restaurant altogether.

That's a shame. I've only eaten there once but there were 8 of us and the food was lovely, as were the staff. Maybe you had a bad night or we had a good one :D

Removing fat from Parma ham cannot be done.
    And pizza is healthy!!! How can you compare it with chippers?

You can remove the fat (visible around the outside) from the ham. The ham itself is very low calorie anyway. And that fat rind is very thin. But if you're counting calories, why eat it?

Pizza, maybe I should have been clearer - I'm talking about the majority of pizza offerings here in Ireland. From Dominos/Pizza hut to Mizzonis. There is not much in the way of 'healthy' on offering. And it would make up the vast majority of what people are eating here in Ireland.

olaola wrote: »
    You can remove the fat (visible around the outside) from the ham. The ham itself is very low calorie anyway. And that fat rind is very thin. But if you're counting calories, why eat it?

Pizza, maybe I should have been clearer - I'm talking about the majority of pizza offerings here in Ireland. From Dominos/Pizza hut to Mizzonis. There is not much in the way of 'healthy' on offering. And it would make up the vast majority of what people are eating here in Ireland.

Ok, understood for pizza, it makes sense. The ham has to be eaten with its fat, removing it you lose a big deal of flavour, if you're counting calories you should probably eat something else :-)

Advertisement