Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much will this cost?

• 16-04-2009 1:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭

approx cost to fix this:
    peugeut307copy.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Alot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Alot.

+1000

Door, glass, rear wing, bumber, light (maybe), maybe interior trim, moulding, handle and then the sill to fill. Add in paint...ouch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

*this is not mine :cool: but the owner is looking to replace the rear door as whole, so the bumper, rear light is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 supadude

1000 or more....also we are in recession so garages will charge extra

j@utis wrote: »
    *this is not mine :cool: but the owner is looking to replace the rear door as whole, so the bumper, rear light is ok.

Dont get you? Does he want all the damage fixed, or just the door?

All of it, i would reckon 3-4k. Just for the door, maybe €700-€850? Its nasty either way.

• Advertisement

supadude wrote: »
    1000 or more....also we are in recession so garages will charge extra

:confused:

A garage will punish an individual customer because of the global financial status? Think your wrong on that one buddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Did the rear wheel get a smack too...the arch is damaged above it? What year is the car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭bladespin

At a guess, using both new parts and repairing what they can a garage wouldbe looking at around €3k for that kind of work. Garages are feeling the pinch too as mentioned, beware, some will definately try it on, others will quote decent prices to try to get the work, shop around.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Dont get you? Does he want all the damage fixed, or just the door?

All of it, i would reckon 3-4k. Just for the door, maybe €700-€850? Its nasty either way.

she wants it all fixed, back to the state it was before the accident (too optimistic???).
    will buying another door from the scrap yard be more expensive than fixing this one?
    bumber fixings were ripped out, rear arch is ok - damage is on the side above it - deep scratches bends etc, rear wheel is ok, car drives the same as it used to.
    it's pug 307 year 2005 with 100k miles on it, paid 6k eur 2months ago.

she wants it all fixed, back to the state it was before the accident (too optimistic???).
    will buying another door from the scrap yard be more expensive than fixing this one?
    bumber fixings were ripped out, rear arch is ok - damage is on the side above it - deep scratches bends etc, rear wheel is ok, car drives the same as it used to.

It could cost up to 3-4k to repair that back it its original glory. Was it her fault or someone elses?

I reckon that could be an uneconomical write-off.

Get an estimate done, and maybe get insurance involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

To have it fixed up perfectly would cost too much in relation to the value of the car...ie it's beyond economic repair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Your looking at a new rear quater panel, new rear door, new trim pieces, possible new bumper. I would say in excess of 5k. The quater panel will need to be cut out and a new one welded into place. Had this alone on a pervious car cost in excess of 4k to supply fit and repaint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

You can get a door/window from a scrapped car no problem. Should be cheaper than new. Replacement bumber from the same source shouldn't be too much extra. Quaterpanel looks liveable as it is. So long as you're not fussy about the end result, you can certainly have something liveable and driveable, but perhaps not saleable.

In any rate, I doubt it'd be an economical repair if you plan to sell the car afterwards, but if you just want a car to drive, and can't afford a replacement, it's certainly possible to fix it.

EDIT... that damage to the sill though looks terminal. That's an NCT failure right there. And it's pretty much impossible to fix.

this is what happens when you don't yield to buses...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You could get an estimate for the repairs from a body shop. My guess is that it will cost at least half the value of the car to be put right properly. My guess is that an insurance company would write that car off as being uneconomical to repair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

She's scrap I would say. Not only would it cost 2-3k to fix at a guestimate that is but the value of the car will significantly drop due to the accident.

Also I would of thought garages would be cheaper now with a recession on :confused:

How on earth did that happen anyway?

now, after nearly all repair work has been carried out and cost a 'massive' 600eur + replacement back doors and rear bumper fixings, I'm uploading the these pic for you to judge if it was worth it:
    307Side.jpg

307Back.jpg

Is it me or is the back bumper a different colour?

The rear wing and rear door look like they're different colours compared with the front door too....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

Is it me or is the back bumper a different colour?

The rear wind and rear door look like they're different colours compared with the front door too....

Add to that a wobbly sill (is it just filled:eek:), gap between the doors and the panel gaps between the rear bumper and wing. Id say the OP got their 600euro's worth, and no more.

I certainly wouldn't want to crash in that car now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

was it 600e plus parts? or 600e all in ??

don
    't know if its the pics or not, but it doesn't look right!!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Christ that repair job on the bumper is awful and look at the first pic, did they respray the car from the centre back? it's a different colour!

Adjust brightness and contrast.... look at the state of that spray job? Is it rippled or sprayed really badly?
    i714072_untitled-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

That sure looks like a €600 botch job to me. That car will be VERY hard to sell down the line. Just keep the crash damage shots to prove to any prospective buyer that the car wasn't a right off to begin with.

I think it will be quite obvious to any future potential buyers that there was a serious amount of repair work done to this car.

As the lads say, keep the evidence to prove it wasnt a write off. As the old saying goes, you only get what you pay for...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Well thats the worst way to spend €600 I've seen today anyway. Finish looks sh1t - wouldn't touch that thing with a bargepole. Bad panel fit, colour on the door is off, the bumper is a disgrace and I shudder to think what it's like on the bits you cant see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

what options the car owner actually had here?

-go trough insurance, loose your no claim bonus and most likely the car as well (economic write off)
    -fix the car properly and spend 3-4k for car that is not worth much more
    -fix it cheaply and continue driving.

If the car structure is ok, then I think spending that money to fix it might not be that a bad idea, IF the owner of the car does not try to sell it, drive another 100k miles to that car and it is worth nothing anyway.

well, the bumper is being finished off in two weeks time (she was desperate to get her car back and didn't want to wait untill repairs guy comes back from holidays).
    passengers door was different color (blue) and even if the repairs guy got the right color paint by color code the rest of the car is faded over years and thefore they don't match. and you don't see that much difference in live as you see in the pics.
    and afterall it was cheep quick job: you get what you pay for ;)

itarumaa wrote: »
    what options the car owner actually had here?

-go trough insurance, loose your no claim bonus and most likely the car as well (economic write off)
    -fix the car properly and spend 3-4k for car that is not worth much more

If the car structure is ok, then I think spending that money to fix it might not be that a bad idea, IF the owner of the car does not try to sell it, drive another 100k miles to that car and it is worth nothing anyway.

first of all: it was insured with 3rd part only (owner had two claims in last two years so full comp was too expensive).
    she had to claim here again: insurance to pay dublin bus 1600eur for repairing scratches on the front bumper of the bus.

2nd: spending 3k for repairing 6k worth car: it's just crazy.

so the 3rd option is the only way to go: drive it like this untill it dies.

I think personally I'd have called all the scrap yards in Dublin and beyond to get a new door and bumper to just bolt on. There has to be silver ones somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

steve06 wrote: »
    I think personally I'd have called all the scrap yards in Dublin and beyond to get a new door and bumper to just bolt on. There has to be silver ones somewhere.

thats what I would have done.....

• Advertisement

Traynors have 36 silver 307's being dismantled!

http://www.traynors.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

itarumaa wrote: »

Now the owner has a car they can park anywhere!

(I like the 500 in the background.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Jaysus, I can't say I would have even spent 600 euro on that. I'm sure a bit of paint (100-200max?) and a bit of your own labour and you would of gotten a better job.

As said, I'm sure you would find a silver bumper/door around some where.

I don't see that at 2400 saved, more like 600 hundred wasted IMO>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

first of all: it was insured with 3rd part only (owner had two claims in last two years so full comp was too expensive).
    she had to claim here again: insurance to pay dublin bus 1600eur for repairing scratches on the front bumper of the bus.

In that case there's no point in spending big money on repairing the car, based on past history she's obviously gonna bin it again sometime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

In all fairness to OP, i think it looks a grand job for the price that was paid.

So what if its not 100%, most people wouldnt even notice. Considering you can pick a 05 up now for about 8k, spending anyting more than 1k on this would have being pointless. Drive for next year or so, selling it on again to someone who doesnt know/care about a 100% panel/paint job.

steve06 wrote: »
    Traynors have 36 silver 307's being dismantled!

http://www.traynors.co.uk/

wow, that's some choice! knowledge is power! but I'm afraid it's too late now...
    and one more 'funny' story: a month or so ago she bought silver doors from uk scrapyard, 30pounds to ship it over here, got it delivered in 10 days, opened the box, woohoo the same nice silver color, but... it was for the wrong side!! imagine this telling the salesman 'driver's side door please' about one million times and then they send you the door for the opposite side. so, she had to wait another week for them to collect the wrong ones and then one more week to get the right door and arrived but blue in color LOL.

• Advertisement

Zube wrote: »
    Now the owner has a car they can park anywhere!

(I like the 500 in the background.)

true, that's why it's been on the road while my dinky power aka fiat 500 is resting on the driveway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

On a side note, those twirls on the reg to "hide" it, don't really work.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

If its not your car and you hit it send in the insurance company. Ask the company for the option to pay the agreed cost at the end of the process.

This is what they do.

If you have to repair it the door from a scrappy will be cheaper.

Dabko wrote: »
    So what if its not 100%, most people wouldnt even notice. Considering you can pick a 05 up now for about 8k, spending anyting more than 1k on this would have being pointless. Drive for next year or so, selling it on again to someone who doesnt know/care about a 100% panel/paint job.

This attitude is why there are so many sh!tboxes on our roads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

now, after nearly all repair work has been carried out and cost a 'massive' 600eur + replacement back doors and rear bumper fixings, I'm uploading the these pic for you to judge if it was worth it:
    307Side.jpg

307Back.jpg

And THAT is a great example of asking for people opinions on body work on cars on this forum is a pointless task. A recent thread about an accident where the guy thought he was getting taken for a ride re the repair cost would also highlight that particular aspect of photographs of damage.

If the guy is happy with the repair and the price and has taken into account resale value etc, then fair enough. Good work.
    In relation to the last comment about "****ty cars", I would suggest that this job for €600 COULD be as good as a job which cost €2000. Cost of work DOES NOT determine quality of work. This type of work wouldnt make the car "****ty" either.......Looks like a decent car to me and doesnt appear any of the work would effect driving of the car.

These recessionary times will make people more aware of how to keep a car on the road, rather than get rid of it. There is a marked rise in the number of people applying for apprenticeship mechanics at the moment and that is because people will spend more keeping what they have on the road rather than unnecessarily "upgrading (with the help of a loan) every two years.

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    These recessionary times will make people more aware of how to keep a car on the road, rather than get rid of it.

Perhaps, but the gigantic bubble we just popped means that Irish people are mostly driving new cars.

Even if they are forced (economic outlook difficult times etc. etc.) to buy an older car, they are not, NOT, ever going to buy a crashed yoke like the car which started this thread.

It's scrap.

The only reason it's fixed and on the road is that it is worth more than scrap value to its owner.

Zube wrote: »
    Perhaps, but the gigantic bubble we just popped means that Irish people are mostly driving new cars.

Even if they are forced (economic outlook difficult times etc. etc.) to buy an older car, they are not, NOT, ever going to buy a crashed yoke like the car which started this thread.

It's scrap.

The only reason it's fixed and on the road is that it is worth more than scrap value to its owner.
    And is there anything wrong with that? What makes the car "scrap"?

Irish people are mostly not driving "new" cars. New car sales from last year and this year would suggest that.....The way certain cars are build "new" nowadays, I'd feel much better off in a 10 year old car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The car looks good to me, of course the way a car looks should be irrelevant (within reason) Once it's structually and mechanically sound thats all that really matters.

I wouldn'd know if the fix above leaves the car structually sound but if it does I say well done to the op, the €600 invested was money well spent as they would not have purchased much of replacement car for that.

Some people appear to equate quality with money, that is not always the case.

I would imagine that who ever did the op's car did so at a reduced labour cost but if the parts cost less than €600 and the quotes here ranged from 3 to 5 k you would have to think there is huge profiteering on this type of work.

I think a few people are missing the point here. A new door, tail light and bumper could have been sourced in Traynors for probably less than €200, that would have left €400 to sort the sill and touch up a few other bits which would have been more than enough and the car would look good - right now it looks shocking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

Considering the age and mileage on the car I don't honestly think it's a bad deal. If another 200 euros had been spent on a bit of detailing and a decent paint job it would have been money well spent. Also, that colour silver on Peugeots is a disaster to match and even if you got silver parts you'd still have to paint it to blend in the colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,882 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

So she caused 3 accidents in the last 2 years? I don't want to sound like an arsehole on a high horse, but should she not reflect on this? Does she have a full license?

unkel wrote: »
    So she caused 3 accidents in the last 2 years? I don't want to sound like an arsehole on a high horse, but should she not reflect on this? Does she have a full license?
    Good point........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

junkyard wrote: »
    Considering the age and mileage on the car I don't honestly think it's a bad deal. If another 200 euros had been spent on a bit of detailing and a decent paint job it would have been money well spent. Also, that colour silver on Peugeots is a disaster to match and even if you got silver parts you'd still have to paint it to blend in the colour.

+1, for how bad the damage was i'd be looking for atleast €1K as a nixer.

I know lads who charge €240 for a scratch no bigger than your index finger on a bumper. :eek:

Op that was a knock down price.

unkel wrote: »
    I don't want to sound like an arsehole on a high horse

Too late!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It looks woeful in the pictures, I can only imagine what it looks like in the flesh. That said, an old 307 is worthless at the best of times and spending huge amounts on bodywork doesn't make too much sense.
    At a risk of sounding mean, Given the drivers track record it'll probably get a few more scrapes before it's retirement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement