Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jersey, yo

• 16-04-2009 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭

hi guys,

Im off to jersey on saturday for a few days, anyone know any good photo ops on the island?

I'm going to the underground german hospital thing, but thats all i really know about the island!

Supposed to be popping over to france aswell to see mont saint michel, but doesnt look like we can with those mad people halting the ferries :(

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Havent a clue but have a ball. My sister stayed there for a few months and said it was gorgeous, I'm sure you'll have plenty of bar photos.

If you are going to be back on time for next weekend send me a pm, gig in lucan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Havent a clue but have a ball. My sister stayed there for a few months and said it was gorgeous, I'm sure you'll have plenty of bar photos.

If you are going to be back on time for next weekend send me a pm, gig in lucan.

Cheers Rach, im back thursday, but i'll let you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

It's been a long time since I was there, but you got the underground hospital, and a few other relics from the War, plenty of good scenery, beaches, that detective lad's car, boats, rich people, old people...

I'll try remember more. I think there's a few boating trips. I went scuba diving too, which was good craic. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭l pearse

It must be 20 years since i'v been to Jersey, l remember it being very 'Holy!'... very expensive & l wore a t-shirt, saying Kiss me l'm Irish !!!!!!!!!!! jesus!:rolleyes:

Here's a site l found that might tickle your fancy....:D
    http://www.jerseyheritage.org/places-to-visit/mont-orgueil-castle
    & Jersey zoo is 7mls NE of St Lawrence.

Enjoy.
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

There is plenty of beach picture to be taken and the Zoo is really nice with quite a few of the smaller animals loose.

Enjoy, can't wait to see your pictures. Jersey is lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

There's photo opportunities everywhere on Jersey.

Rent a car while there, you'll cover the island totally and burn less than half a tank of diesel for a full 7 days there.

Plenty of war time stuff, Lion Park (keep an eye out for the tryantual and the gold bars 7 Begerac's car), the zoo is not too bad at all there's a fantasic silverback gorilla there and the meerkats are good fun to shoot too.

Pace of life is nice there, didn't find it overly expensive.

Take to opportunity to walk out to one or two of the forts when the tide is out. You'll get nice shots looking back onto the island.

Good night time shots to be had of the various harbour areas and castles too.

Corbrie lighthouse, probably one of the most photographed landmarks of the Channel Islands. Definately try for a sunset there.

Tactical wrote: »
    There's photo opportunities everywhere on Jersey.

Rent a car while there, you'll cover the island totally and burn less than half a tank of diesel for a full 7 days there.

Plenty of war time stuff, Lion Park (keep an eye out for the tryantual and the gold bars 7 Begerac's car), the zoo is not too bad at all there's a fantasic silverback gorilla there and the meerkats are good fun to shoot too.

Pace of life is nice there, didn't find it overly expensive.

Take to opportunity to walk out to one or two of the forts when the tide is out. You'll get nice shots looking back onto the island.

Good night time shots to be had of the various harbour areas and castles too.

Corbrie lighthouse, probably one of the most photographed landmarks of the Channel Islands. Definately try for a sunset there.

Thanks, I'll deffo give them a look. Were stayin with my GF's aunt and shes giving us her convertable for the week :D so travel won't be an issue
    l pearse wrote: »

Here's a site l found that might tickle your fancy....:D
    http://www.jerseyheritage.org/places-to-visit/mont-orgueil-castle
    & Jersey zoo is 7mls NE of St Lawrence.

Awesome, I will be going there, thanks
    eeyore2502 wrote: »
    There is plenty of beach picture to be taken and the Zoo is really nice with quite a few of the smaller animals loose.
    Enjoy, can't wait to see your pictures. Jersey is lovely.

Cheers, I'll be putting them up everyday, so keep an eye on my pix.ie

Looking forward to seeing them.

Ok guys, I'm back. Had a great time, Jersey was unreal. the weather was great and we went to just about everything on the island. Most of the pictures are up on my Pix.ie now, Will try and get them all up soon...

If anybody is interested in the slightest, heres an accound of what we did. I've included a few pics in case the text is a bit much and you just wanna flick through. Also don't forget to have a look at my Pix.ie

So we started off by going to a secluded lighthouse around the corner from where we were staying
    1B2A40D4D3A045F198DA4E2161479826-500.jpg

was really cool, giant causeway out to it, but when we got there we realised your not aloud go right up to it.
    CD75BFA1235D497EAF2FBE2E32639F11-500.jpg

was just about to jump the fence when the tide warning horn went off, felt like I was in a war, and we had to jog back through about 2mm of water, which is alot when your GF is afraid of water, lol

Day 2: we went to "Gerald" Durrel Zoo. it's not actually a zoo, it's a wildlife reserve, but it was truely awesome.
    D8442D23B5734C6CA8E78E23042A8D89-500.jpg
    85E7B0BDA013413983648CEF288F1757-500.jpg

After the zoo, we went to Mont Orgueil Castle, I cannot say enough how class it was. The castle was huge, took the wind outta me climbing it, but it was a lovely day.
    6810A88667CA4CCD9B622D15D58CBD78-500.jpg
    D6F888083A474725A7C0015EE7ACBDC7-500.jpg
    17A7F061A0A24F50BB286C3B7C801E2F-500.jpg

Day 3: The german underground, was so so sooo spooky. Amazing amount of history behind it. I think the strangest part was the manikens with TV screens for heads who talked to you when you walked by them, spooky.
    DADE560F18AE41279CC319E71E14B717-500.jpg
    3F85F8BDAC2F40E5BACF865B21698181-500.jpg

Day 4: The shell garden, really only went here as the GF's mum said we have to see how nice it is, but in fact it was, it was very hippieish, and the guy that runs the place is a really nice man, just chills in the garden all day.
    19B09EE7CE0D4ED5BE52ABDECD6A17A8-500.jpg

Even stranger was the little pet cemetary, where for a small donation, you can have your pet buried
    17F9D5A9C1A54473AC0B436A4A91303E-500.jpg

Later that day it was off to the Jersey Military Museum. It was a reconditioned bunker right beside the west coast bay where all the surfer dudes hang out, again, alot of history
    D437EFA6D49F40169F960F82229A662E-500.jpg
    CD5BCC019B9C41469F5308583CFDA0B5-500.jpg

Last day: Woke up early to get some nice shots but it was hella misty, not to worry as it produced a couple of nice shots
    33286C0DD63F497BACDBA1C9925BC5E0-500.jpg
    6B1E3A1306ED43AA8227E6B97742BDF0-500.jpg

.....so that about wraps it up, I'm sure I've left somethings out but my story in pics is on my Pix.ie.

Thanks for reading and looking at the pics

Tallon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Wow - They really bring back some memories of Jersey - The Military Muesum was great. They sure didn't have TV screens on mannequins when I was over there!

Glad you enjoyed yourself over there :)

• Advertisement

Thanks man, it really was a great trip, alot of memories to bring back :)

Looks like you enjoyed Jersey. I was there for my first time 13 years ago and hopefully will get back again soon.

Advertisement