Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Tocco Ultra or Nokia 5800??

• 16-04-2009 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Hi!

Im due an upgrade with Vodafone next month and was browsing their web,looking at phones.Both the new Samsung Tocco Ultra and Nokia 5800 are on sale for a really decent price of €39.99(with Perfect Choice 600 but can always change price plan later).So,wondering which I should go for?I text quite a lot so the Samsung appeals cos of its slide out keypad and wouldnt fancy using the touchscreen to text.But I've never used a Samsung,always been Nokia and been very happy with all handsets that I've used from them.Dont really care for wi-fi or using my phone to store music as I have an Ipod.Camera looks decent on Samsung,8mp.Both seem to have gotten good reviews on the net,maybe probs with Samsung battery?Anyone any experience of both these phones?Or is there a decent alternative?Dont fancy switching networks to O2 to get an Iphone.Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

In my experience Samsung batteries arent the best, but no manufacturer's are these days. Expect to get 1-2 days usage out of it before a charge. I'd take it from the number of replies in the Nokia 5800 thread that find fault with the phone, i'd go for the Samsung. The specs are great for the money, nice, slim phone and has the benefit of a real keypad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 supadude

i have the omnia which is like the tocco but has wifi...the omnia battery is very good lasting about 3 days(i use it alot) so i presume the tocco is the same as the phones are very very alike...the omnia as far as i know got the best phone for a long period of time as it has everything on it and i think the tocco is the same except it doesnt have wifi...

also the tocco has that very pretty tough screen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Op have a look at the N86 and see if you would wait the 2months for it. Its nokias first 8mp camera and would also slove the texting/touchscreen problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

supadude wrote: »
    i have the omnia which is like the tocco but has wifi...the omnia battery is very good lasting about 3 days(i use it alo

Unfortunatly they aren't that alike. I had a tocco for a few months last year and the battery would only ever last 2 days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Tocco Ultratouch pros:
    Capacitive touchscreen (more sensitive)
    OLED screen
    Slide-out keypad (personally I would count that as a bad thing..)
    Slightly smaller/lighter
    8mpx
    Faster HSDPA (apparently, wouldn't be sure about that)
    WVGA video

5800XM pros:
    Larger screen (3.2 vs 2.8")
    Higher res screen (640 x 360 vs 400 x 240)
    Includes 8GB card
    Wifi
    Longer talktime (8h vs 4h)
    Multiple text entry methods (on screen t9, landscape qwerty, portrait mini-qwerty, stylus handrwriting-recognition)
    Includes GPS software (Nokia Maps. According to GSM arena the nav software on the Ultra is optional)
    3.5mm headphone jack
    TV-out

So.. draw your own conlclusions :P

Personally, I've just bought a 5800XM. It's cheaper to get Sim-free, and it's not a Samsung.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Davy,had a look at that N96,its only got a 5mp camera and its not for release until the third quarter of the year,thats what it said online anyway.

The 5800 seems to be getting more negative comments than the Samsung although both batteries seem poor enough.Both have a GPS function but I wonder how exact they are.My main concern is that I'm used to texting with a keypad and have never used a touchscreen to text before.Is it more difficult?Thats why the Samsung appeals to me cos its got the slide keypad.But I've been a happy Nokia user so I'm undecided!

toby2111 wrote: »
    Davy,had a look at that N96,its only got a 5mp camera and its not for release until the third quarter of the year,thats what it said online anyway.
    Davy wrote: »
    Op have a look at the N86 and see if you would wait the 2months for it. Its nokias first 8mp camera and would also slove the texting/touchscreen problem

;)
    The N96 has been out for some time,,, the N86 is on the way and is 8MP

http://europe.nokia.com/link?cid=PLAIN_TEXT_1221144#/main/landing
    http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n86_8mp-2713.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 shrew

go with the samsung. i have used both in work. and the samsung seems the easiest to use! although they say horses for courses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Don't forget that the 5800 has sold in bucketloads, so the presence of more negative comments in light of this is hardly surprising. Don't see a 45 page thread on the Tocco Ultra ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Sorry Davy,checked out wrong phone!!Yeh,looked up that N86,looks very impressive.Any ideas when its gonna be available here?Will Vodafone be stocking it and will it be available for €39.99,like the other two?

Think I'll pop down to a Vodafone store and get a hands on demo of Nokia 5800 and Samsung Tocco Ultra,get recommendations from the sales rep and decide then which of those 3 to go for.They all prob have pro's and con's..

• Advertisement

toby2111 wrote: »
    Yeh,looked up that N86,looks very impressive.Any ideas when its gonna be available here?Will Vodafone be stocking it and will it be available for €39.99,like the other two?

Meant to be here in july. Couldnt guarantee vodafone will have it, but i would out my money on they will.

Advertisement