Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB to create 3,700 jobs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

that all good and well, the greens want 10% electric cars on the road by 2020. wow great, are the government going to make these cars themselves? maybe thats their plan to get us out of the economic downturn, we can use all the empty multinational factories that are left behind.

That press release and the ESB announcement today need to be taking with a huge bucket of salt. As i said over in engineering I dont think there is a mass produced electrical only car on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

And as well as the EV1, that anyone would want, the patents on the best available battery technology (which are held by the oil companies and not generally used) must be close to expiring.

So, on top of a new infrastructure of charging stations etc etc, the incredibly cheap running costs of EVs, and the massive number of short journeys undertaken each journey in Ireland - the green car revolution could shape our future in a big way, particularly if there are engineers ready to build them.

I haven't read the press release, so I don't know if the 3,500 jobs are all going to be working on projects to generate electricity or if some of them will be working on the infrastructure for electric cars, but I hope they will be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gnxx

I suspect that we could be heading towards another voting machine fiasco.

The green party is pushing to have recharging facilities provided in various locations. Early this week I read an article suggesting that Dun Laoghaire council is up in arms over installing these points for the 20 or so electric cars on the road in the area. ( Link below )

No doubt that the ESB will roll out this infrastructure, only to find that the Japanese electric cars that the Irish will prefer do not have the same plug as the French electric cars.

No doubt millions will be spent on obsolete technology. I suppose though, on a brighter note, by the time it is delivered in 2030, we will have long forgotten about the "Green Party".

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/row-over-83645k-power-points-for-green-cars-1709032.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Ah, all you non-believers. Change is afoot, my friends. With even America having a president not in the tightened clutches of the oil magnets, the way forward is green.

Being slightly more serious, the world can't continue and Ireland can't continue the way things are now. To think that is to be ignorant.

Ah people will always try to find reasons to hate things without thinking through the positives :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

This post has been deleted.

There is nothing wrong with a "new deal" if it got us somewhere and didn't cost the earth. Being a republican I guess you don't rate FDR :rolleyes:

One of my ideas is to start using out of work tradesmen/builders and get them working on school buildings, hospital buildings, prisons, etc
    They have choice of either take the job or lose the dole.
    Project managers and buidlers are given bonus if they complete projects on time and within budget, otherwise they do not get hired for next project and dole is cut.
    The ESB is not funded in anyway by the Taxpayer. Yes their customers pay for their product but that's a different debate. The Regulator will ensure that those availing of the new sustainable projects (electric vehicles etc) will be the ones to pay. Here is a company doing what it's supposed to do and all we do is moan before the details are even announced.
    And by the way ESB jobs are not Public sector they are Private Sector jobs.

Why de fu** does this always get trotted out when someone mentions ESB.
    Private sector company me ar**.

Where can I buy shares, since they are doing so well ?
    Who are it's sharehoilders ?
    Who does the board report to and who choses board memebrs and chairmen ?
    Answer these questions and then tell us how many private sector companies fit into this category ?
    Oh I hear it coming Bord na Mona :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

murfie wrote: »
    that all good and well, the greens want 10% electric cars on the road by 2020. wow great, are the government going to make these cars themselves? maybe thats their plan to get us out of the economic downturn, we can use all the empty multinational factories that are left behind.
    We may not make them ourselves but we have a lot of research into batteries happening in this country. The roll-out of EVS, be they BEVs or plug-in hybrids, will save us money by:
    -reducing the cost of running our vehicles
    -reduce dependency on imported fuel
    -reduce our carbon emissions and therefore reduce any costs of purchasing credits as well as avoiding fines.
    -the money that we do spend on fuel (ie electricity) will stay within the country, not send over to an OPEC member.
    -cutting down on respiratory diseases (and the cost to the HSE) through zero emissions.
    murfie wrote: »
    That press release and the ESB announcement today need to be taking with a huge bucket of salt. As i said over in engineering I dont think there is a mass produced electrical only car on the market.
    There are mass-produced hybrids and plug-in hybrids are going to be mass-produced starting next year. It's a reality and if we don't jump on the technology now, we'll just be left behind.
    gurramok wrote: »
    Mark this down, they better not hit consumers with this.
    The whole point of the smartgrid, an integral part of their investment, is to reduce costs for consumers through demand response technology, including smart meter monitoring at home.
    gurramok wrote: »
    Yes, alot of it is dependent on electric cars taking off, very far fetched.
    Why is it far fetched? Toshiba have recently announced a battery that can be recharged in 90 seconds. Other companies are working on improving battery technology to reduce weight and size while increasing capacity and reducing costs.

There are options for either rolling out a recharging network that already exists in a number of countries or adopting a battery replacement system. We already have the network capacity to produce sufficient levels of electricity. The cost/km is actually very, very low.

THe recharging of electric vehicles at night fits in very well with the current electricity generation patterns. Moreover, there are talks of treating EVs as a form of microstorage for the electricity grid.

There are other huge advantages to grid-vehicles (BEVS & PHEVs) as any efficiencies in the generation of electricity are deployed practically instantly throughout the fleet. Improvements in ICEs take years to penetrate the fleet.

Advertisement