Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lactose Overload

Options
  • 16-04-2009 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody got any experience/advice/combative measures against this?
    Our two and a half week old seems to have it as she's not settling well at all, squirms in pain, and seems to have to put in a lot of effort when doing a poo. We're trying the 'block feeding' ie feeding from one boob until it's drained but any other suggestions would be great.

more information on it here
    http://www.babycareadvice.com/babycare/general_help/article.php?id=18

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Hi:)

Oh, I remember this well.

My first two children were breastfed and had 24 hour colic (as I was told then). I nearly lost my reason with exhaustion. On my second I twigged myself that there was more to it and queried lactose intolerance.

Anyway, for my third I decided not to breastfeed as my previous two had such big issues and the paediatrician at the hosp explained about milk protein intolerance etc and gave me a prescription for formula.

Sorry, I really am going somewhere with this.

When I weaned my second child I went to lactose free S*M*A and found it helped and my 2 month old is on that now (the prescription formula is only foul altogether) and it def helps.

When I was breastfeeding I didn't eat any dairy or red meat myself as I found this made my sons worse. Try not to severly restrict your diet though (like I did!!!) swap things in and out for a few weeks to see if anything helps, but you need to eat well for your sake and the babys.

My two month old still makes a production of a dirty nappy, i.e. the whole room will know what is going on :pac:

Maybe you could describe the discomfort a little more?

Also, while stopping breastfeeding is not ideal and you probably don't want to, don't feel that you should struggle on if the going gets tough, you will only run yourself into the ground and thats no good to anyone.

Again, sorry, I have rambled a bit, I was trying to cover all the basics. Maybe you can pick out a few points that you think might be applicable (if you want to of course) and I can be a bit more detailed, or pm me if you like :)

Just remember, look after yourself too :)

Edit:

Thats a great article and I suspect that is more what my children had rather than an intolerance and I fully agree with the immature gut thing as I always felt they produced the gas in their gut, not took it in with the feeds.

Advertisement