Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downes

• 16-04-2009 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Used to live down this neck of the woods. Can anyone tell me if Downes on Thomas St. is still going strong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Hell yes!

as is the No.9

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

KingLoser wrote: »
    Hell yes!

as is the No.9

Hardly going strong with half the pub closed. The good half as well. And certain renovations have taken a lot of the charm out of the place. It's not the place it used to be, much as it pains me to say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Flan45

That's a shame, always liked the place. Presume you mean the old half is closed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

The back bar by the off licence is open for parties, music gigs and whenever it gets busy. the front bar is still going as strong as ever.

Which part are you referring to, Merlante?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Don't stomp you'r feet or you'll need a dust mask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

yeah loved that place, used to enjoy a few pints on Sunday night. Its like the place hasnt changed since the 50s and it still holds a charm.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Spins

Downes still going strong at weekends, old section (LHS) is in fact still packed every Saturday night. You can hire out other side for parties etc. They closed this side to bring more of an athmosphere to the other side and imho it worked. Yes, they did certain renovations but as much as we'd like it to remain falling down around us, the charmingly grumpy owner has to protect his future. I have to commend him on managing to put down a brand new carpet that looks like it's 50 years old. Where else can you go for a game of squash and a pint with a waterford blended whiskey chaser followed by a game of snooker if you wish. Oh, and there's no music to take from the banter, smashing!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The lack of loud music and frowned upon mobile phone use are of great benefit imho

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

And no kids.

PRAISE THE LEWRD!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

magick wrote: »
    Its like the place hasnt changed since the 50s and it still holds a charm.

1950s? 1850s? 1750s? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭j walsh

Like a trip back in time ok,
    Sheer Class!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Flan45

the charmingly grumpy owner

There may have been renovations but some things haven't changed so:)

Flan45 wrote: »
    There may have been renovations but some things haven't changed so:)

Johnny Snr passed away, I dunno, about 7 or 8 years ago. His son, Johnny Jnr (equally grumpy) runs the place now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

its one of those wonderful undiscovered places with good craic. I remember first going into it many moons ago i though it was just an old mans pub oh how i was wrong.

I remember a a few years ago we accidently gate crashed a party in the other room and noticed the crowd was a bit on the rough side, then we saw the banner "congrats on getting out johno" we left for the main bar quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Cabaal wrote: »
    The lack of loud music and frowned upon mobile phone use are of great benefit imho

Is the cloth on the snooker table still wafer thin and the cue ball flies up and down the table a million times if you miss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

Is the cloth on the snooker table still wafer thin and the cue ball flies up and down the table a million times if you miss?

Don't miss :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Chochese wrote: »
    Don't miss :P

or else you could wait half an hour for the ball to stop moving :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭m3llowship

Nicest Boozer in Waterford IMHO. Cant knock the rickety chairs, the log against the wall used for a bench and yes John can be grumpy but it suits him!

I dont go there as much as I want to, to be honest

The squash courts are the business, but they removed the steps to the "viewing gallery" if you could ever really call it that!

m3llowships perfect sunday.
    Into downes' for about 7pm, couple of cold bottles of McArdles and then up to the ballybricken take away for a battered burger, home in bed at midnight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Used to go in there years ago but packed it in.Could never understand why people love the place so much.Its alright every now and then , but the regulars licking the arse of the owner always irritated me.Bloke I know went there almost every day for the bones of 10 years and got barred few years back basically cause he didn't go along with the sycophants, though it was really bad treatment of a regular , as did a few others who don't frequent the place anymore.

Fair enough. Not a good story RE: the 10 year regular being barred. Still really like the place tho. Maybe the owner might be a bit too grumpy for some sensitive souls but I just don't let it bother me. Don't go to bars to chat to the staff anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement