Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boosting O2 hsdpa modem signal

• 16-04-2009 2:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭

A friend of mine has recently purchased a subscription to O2 wireless broadband.

He purchased the Sierra Compass 888 modem as part of the deal. His signal is quite marginal downstairs it is fine upstairs in his house.

Before he signed up he had trialled a neighbours older modem (the blue & white Huawei model ?) which has 2 usb connectors. He seemed to pull in a more reliable signal downstairs with that model. To be sure of this we are going to try both modems side by side some evening shortly.

He is asking me about generally how he might be able to boost the signal sensitivity of the modem indoors.

Is anyone familiar with these types of devices ?

Signal booster

Any chance they might be of any use to him ?

I've also a sneaky suspicion that the older (Huawei) modem with the twin usb connector may be benefitting the signal sensitivity compared to the newer sierra model which has a single usb connector.

Is this daft or might I be on to something there ?

--ipl

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

iplogger1 wrote: »
    A friend of mine has recently purchased a subscription to O2 wireless broadband.

He purchased the Sierra Compass 888 modem as part of the deal. His signal is quite marginal downstairs it is fine upstairs in his house.

Before he signed up he had trialled a neighbours older modem (the blue & white Huawei model ?) which has 2 usb connectors. He seemed to pull in a more reliable signal downstairs with that model. To be sure of this we are going to try both modems side by side some evening shortly.

He is asking me about generally how he might be able to boost the signal sensitivity of the modem indoors.

Is anyone familiar with these types of devices ?

Signal booster

Any chance they might be of any use to him ?

I've also a sneaky suspicion that the older (Huawei) modem with the twin usb connector may be benefitting the signal sensitivity compared to the newer sierra model which has a single usb connector.

Is this daft or might I be on to something there ?

--ipl
    How about you just get a 3G Wireless Router and leave it upstairs where the signal is best and connect to it via Wi-Fi?

http://www.solwise.ie/3g-routers.htm

3g-routerscenario1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I would agree with cpu-dude..
    You need to bring the 3g device to every spot in the house and see what the signal is. For example, on one window of my house, I will get ZERO bars, and on the other I get FIVE. Might be sufficient to just get a router and plant it at the best spot.

I had the draytek 3g router and it worked well.

Advertisement