Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reality TV is teh scourge of modern culture!

Options
  • 16-04-2009 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭

Im not trolling but as this is a discussion forum on reality tv and both sides should be heard I refer back to my title ^^

Its basically TV for the illiterate and the brain dead offering hope in small glances to couch potatoes that some day through no work , littel effort and not earning a thing you too can become a dancing star, a chef, a pop idol, an apprentice a dragon, a nike advert, a burger king....

If people are so interested in the human-interest and himan nature there is plenty of educational programmes and documentaries but people seem to be wanted to me spoon fed rubbish about the 'ordinary' man done good story.

Everyone appreciates a good under-dog story and the likes of a battle and being victoriuous but what msgs is this sending out to the potatoes who jsut turn it off and flick over to the next channel next vile mixed msgs are people receiving? what long term cultural effects will this have on our perceptions of 'stars' and real 'talent'.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Its basically TV for the illiterate

Reading your post, I guess you must enjoy some reality tv!

I'm all for discussion, but not for generalising. Also, it's ok to hate reality tv. Take a deep, long breath and stop worrying about other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

i bet you watch dragon's den or come dine with me, and both of these are reality tv =p what's the difference between these shows and big brother

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Im not trolling but as this is a discussion forum on reality tv and both sides should be heard I refer back to my title ^^

Its basically TV for the illiterate and the brain dead offering hope in small glances to couch potatoes that some day through no work , littel effort and not earning a thing you too can become a dancing star, a chef, a pop idol, an apprentice a dragon, a nike advert, a burger king....

If people are so interested in the human-interest and himan nature there is plenty of educational programmes and documentaries but people seem to be wanted to me spoon fed rubbish about the 'ordinary' man done good story.

Everyone appreciates a good under-dog story and the likes of a battle and being victoriuous but what msgs is this sending out to the potatoes who jsut turn it off and flick over to the next channel next vile mixed msgs are people receiving? what long term cultural effects will this have on our perceptions of 'stars' and real 'talent'.

You've more or less described what Hollywood (a.k.a 'The Dream Factory') has been doing for the past century.

Why do you think reality tv is so popular? It sells the same 'underdog' stories that movies do, except now the tv execs don't even have to pay writers or actors. They just have to turn on the cameras.

Tbh, there are plenty of reality tv shows that I don't like ( Big Brother or any shows about people related to it, for example) but I do watch Dragons' Den and America's Next Top Model. And it's not because i'm a 'couch potato' who wants instant gratification. I just find them enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I have to admit i'm a little bit contradictory in my views of Reality TV, I love shows like The Apprentice/Dragons Den and I even watch X factor from time to time. But I can't stand show's like Big Brother, Basically shows that sink to the lowest common denominator.

For example, look at the firsr series of big brother. they where normal people in every sense of the word and I enjoyed watching it. then more recently they get in not putting to fine a point on it but Freaks so the HEAT readers of this world can look at them. It sickens me TBH. And I know the argument is there well if you don't like it don't watch it and I gladly don't i'm just saying as this is a discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Love it:

Big Brother
    The Apprentice
    Wife Swap
    The Speaker
    Dragon's Den
    Hell's Kitchen UK

Hate it:

How To Look Good Naked (and anything with Gok, though he makes a good panel show guest)
    10 Years Younger
    Celebrity Come Dancing (or any dancing show)
    I'm a Celebrity
    You Are What You Eat (psuedoscience rubbish)
    You're a Star
    The X Factor
    Next Top Model
    Hell's Kitchen USA
    or any drab Irish copy of the above

So it's a mixed bag of crap, but within it you'll find some good crap.

The absolute WORST reality TV though is anything imported from the US where they have to have a statement at the start saying "scenes may have been edited out of order for dramatic effect". Reality tv? I think not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Ok, I will refer back your title... ''teh'' is the scourge of Modern Culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Reality TV is exactly the same as sitting outside your neighbours window and watching them do things around the house. Its TV for people with way too much time on their hands.

As for Gok Wan...where the **** did that thing crawl out of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

ziedth wrote: »
    I have to admit i'm a little bit contradictory in my views of Reality TV, I love shows like The Apprentice/Dragons Den and I even watch X factor from time to time. But I can't stand show's like Big Brother, Basically shows that sink to the lowest common denominator.

That's not at all contradictory. You like shows you like, you don't like shows that you don't like. Genre should have nothing to do with it. For example if you like a particular sitcom that doesn't mean you have to like every sitcom that was ever made.

OP - saying that all reality TV ever made is bollocks, is bollocks. I like some reality TV shows, I don't like others. But hey, if you want to think I'm illiterate and brain dead etc. and you're somehow superior to me because I like to watch The Apprentice, then go right ahead. Give yourself a big pat on the back for your valiant protest (on an internet forum, no less) against this "scourge on modern culture".

*claps*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

DarkJager wrote: »
    Reality TV is exactly the same as sitting outside your neighbours window and watching them do things around the house. Its TV for people with way too much time on their hands.

As for Gok Wan...where the **** did that thing crawl out of?

i bet....just bet.... that every middle aged house wife is thinking the same about you :)

Advertisement