Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's what I experienced in the dole queue

• 16-04-2009 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭

Just back from signing on.

As I was standing in the queue, a mother & two daughters came in & stood behind me. They knew two guys who were standing in front of me & so the conversation started between the two groups.
    So after discussing which mutual friends were riding who these days, how they shouldn't be standing in the queue because ' those cnuts behind the counter know I'm not working so why the fcuk should I have to wait, sure
    I've never had a job ha ha ha', one of the daughters who was no more than 14 asked her mother for a ' fag, I'm dyin' for one & you never bought me any this morning ', the other daughter who is about 17 started saying that she wants to be settled in a new house before the baby is born & ' yer wan behind the counter better not give me any bull**** '.

Anyone else have story to add?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,012 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I got up and went to work.

STORY NOT RELATED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

the happest places on earth.

Disneyland Pah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

so did you manage to hear who was riding who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Should've asked for a ride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

They should siphon off that element into another room for faster processing and gas them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

easyeason3 wrote: »
    Anyone else have story to add?

I'm just after chasing a little black mouse around the jacks in work. One of the girls just came out of there screaming, asking "Fizman, how are you with mice"?

"You're in luck" I replied, "I'm awesome"!

I locked myself into the loo with said creature, and spent 10 mins trying to catch the pesky little fecker. Man he was quick. Fastest mouse i've ever seen. I could have just squashed him into little pieces but he was just so damn cute!!

I've set 2 humane mouse traps now though, so he'll be in one soon hopefully. Prob has bout 24 other mates around the place now though!!!

EDIT: Oh, was I only supposed to give a dole story? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

frag420 wrote: »
    so did you manage to hear who was riding who?

I was stuck in the middle, I couldn't help but hear. Thankfully I don't know who they are but given what I saw I have a funny feeling they would make Eastenders appear mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

RonMexico wrote: »
    They should siphon off that element into another room for faster processing and gas them.

lol. thanks for that man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

eh this just sounds like any other day in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

You can avoid nasty situations like that by getting a job.

• Advertisement

I was stuck in the middle, I couldn't help but hear. Thankfully I don't know who they are but given what I saw I have a funny feeling they would make Eastenders appear mild.

like a big dole sex sandwich??

pat butcher on top and peggy below ya!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

Did this actually happen OP or have you just interweaved the all of the archtypical characteristics of dole scroungers into a topical (yet fictional) story?

pat butcher on top and peggy below ya!!

I just got a little bit sick there, thanks :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

so did ya riode here for a fag?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Hardly an entertaining story.

Now if you'll excuse me... there's work to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Volvagia wrote: »

How smug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,012 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

OP are you Roddy Doyle, spinning more yarns about recessionary Ireland?

He was sh*te at it too

I just got a little bit sick there, thanks :p

spit or swallow?

Mr.Lizard wrote: »
    Did this actually happen OP or have you just interweaved the all of archtypical characteristics of dole scroungers into a topical (yet fictional) story?

No it genuinely happened which is why I posted the thread.
    Something similar happened a few years ago when I was in court & it shocked me to the core.
    In both situations I was amazed at how they managed to treat the whole thing as a fun night out. Seriously all they were missing was a few high stools & drinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Neverwhere

Volvagia wrote: »

you, kind thing, are the type of thing that makes me very very angry.

you know we ARE in a rescession....and beleive it or not there is very little in the way of work. Who would have thunk it, I know I know.

And you know, many people are out there searching for many mysterious and mythical work positions. In the mean time they sign on to this little thing called the dole so that they don't starve and end up sitting on street corners.

ffs not everyone is waster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

pat butcher on top and peggy blowin ya!!

FYP:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I was once in the dole queue and I couldn't understand what anyone was saying because they were all speaking Foreign.

[/social commentary]

quote=Volvagia;59851565]You can avoid nasty situations like that by getting a job.[/quote]

That's really good advice, I must try that. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I was stuck in the middle, I couldn't help but hear.

A passing observation of mine is that there is a definite link between decibel levels of a conversation and the socio economic background of these folk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Neverwhere wrote: »

you know we ARE in a rescession....and beleive it or not there is very little in the way of work. Who would have thunk it, I know I know.

And you know, many people are out there searching for many mysterious and mythical work positions. In the mean time they sign on to this little thing called the dole so that they don't starve and end up sitting on street corners.

i came within a gnats cock of losing my job (actually lostit for a week but got taken back again thankfully) and figured having been given 7 weeks notice and being (IMHO quite a good prospect for potential employers) i'd have no trouble finding something new and exciting.

I've been doing IT type contract work for years in the UK and then here but have been in the same contract for four and a half years and the economy i left then was a lot different to how it is now and the lack of anything even remotely decent scared the living crap out of me.

one of the lads here was let go at xmas and it took him and his wealth of experience andqualifications 4 months to find something. :(

seems like it's very easy these days to end up totally fooked before you realise what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

EF wrote: »
    A passing observation of mine is that there is a definite link between decibel levels of a conversation and the socio economic background of these folk.

My own theory is that with 10 kids to a house they need to shout, scream and gesticulate in order to get any attention from their mother (and sometimes their father(s) if he's(they're) actually still in the picture). It's a pity they can't realise it is no longer a requirement once they venture out from their hovels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Without sounding rude, get a job

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Mr.Lizard wrote: »
    My own theory is that with 10 kids to a house they need to shout, scream and gesticulate in order to get any attention from their mother (and sometimes their father(s) if he's(they're) actually still in the picture). It's a pity they can't realise it is no longer a requirement once they venture out from their hovels.

And god help you if youre caught listening in..What the fk are you looking at ye little f**in ee**t. It's the kids I feel sorry for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

Neverwhere wrote: »

I don't recall calling anyone a waster?

• Advertisement

Tallon wrote: »
    Without sounding rude, get a job

I plan on going to visit the tree that all the jobs are growing on & I'll get one then.
    THIS THREAD WAS NOT STARTED AS A RANT AGAINST UNEMPLOYED PEOPLE.

Advertisement