Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's what I experienced in the dole queue

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

easyeason3 wrote: »
    Just back from signing on.

As I was standing in the queue, a mother & two daughters came in & stood behind me. They knew two guys who were standing in front of me & so the conversation started between the two groups.
    So after discussing which mutual friends were riding who these days, how they shouldn't be standing in the queue because ' those cnuts behind the counter know I'm not working so why the fcuk should I have to wait, sure
    I've never had a job ha ha ha', one of the daughters who was no more than 14 asked her mother for a ' fag, I'm dyin' for one & you never bought me any this morning ', the other daughter who is about 17 started saying that she wants to be settled in a new house before the baby is born & ' yer wan behind the counter better not give me any bull**** '.

Anyone else have story to add?

i blame the teachers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Yeah I heard a story a while ago about a young mother trying to get on a bus with a buggy & because the buggy was a bit bulky she decided to leave it on the pavement because ' social will get me another '.

I'd love to know if that actually happened but I know a few heads where I'm from that would probably chance it :)

That story been doing the rounds for a few years now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

shezzie wrote: »
    + mobile phone allowance

Never heard of such a thing, I'm suprised
    Yeah I heard a story a while ago about a young mother trying to get on a bus with a buggy & because the buggy was a bit bulky she decided to leave it on the pavement because ' social will get me another '.

I'd love to know if that actually happened but I know a few heads where I'm from that would probably chance it :)

That story is years old, I first it 6 years ago.
    I'm not saying the CWO wouldn't get you a new buggy, they probably would.
    It's just a story everyone seems to have heard off. But has it realy happened hundreds of times that people on buses are discussing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I would love to add a story but i have noticed a large portion of posters have become very hostile towards people on the dole lately. I am not contributing because of this.

I would say I agree this exists but not to the extent you say. What i have big problems with is the backround problems. Has anybody considered the amount of money social welfare fraud costs us every month, I am not talking about those women in the line but rather those people claiming that should not be

We seem more able to complain and moan about these women but sit by while large amounts of people rip off the welfare system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Volvagia wrote: »
    You can avoid nasty situations like that by getting a job.

yea...easy peasy:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I know most people on here might not believe me but I actually saw something very similar happen early last year. I was waiting for the 38 bus in the estate where I lived and the bus was about 100 meters away. In the distance 2 women came running towards the bus stop. One of them was pushing a child in a buggy. There must have been something wrong with it cos the woman took the child out of the buggy, left it in the middle of the footpath and just carried the child and ran to the bus stop and got to the bus. I asked her if she wanted to collect the buggy and she just looked at me blankly and got on the bus with the other woman.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

As I was standing in the queue, a mother & two daughters came in & stood behind me. They knew two guys who were standing in front of me & so the conversation started between the two groups.
    So after discussing which mutual friends were riding who these days, how they shouldn't be standing in the queue because ' those cnuts behind the counter know I'm not working so why the fcuk should I have to wait, sure
    I've never had a job ha ha ha', one of the daughters who was no more than 14 asked her mother for a ' fag, I'm dyin' for one & you never bought me any this morning ', the other daughter who is about 17 started saying that she wants to be settled in a new house before the baby is born & ' yer wan behind the counter better not give me any bull**** '.

Anybody with any sense will say "Yes,thats been going on for years and its a ****in disgarce"..there are others however who will say "have you got a link?
    How do you KNOW they were unemployed?"
    These people dont exist,you're a racist and a facist"
    And other such bollocks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

I lol'd at the story OP

Please post more

Dont mind the haters
    Keep your spirit up and eyes open
    And am sure your aunt appreciates the help you give her for free - rather than her claiming home help off gov (so basically you do have a job);-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,094 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Degsy wrote: »
    Anybody with any sense

Have you got a link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

hit the nail on the head there buddy. it works wonders.

Banned.

As for stories; I've a friend on the dole.
    When he goes to the SWO for his monthly signing he starts talking to people in the queue and asks them if they've been working at all lately.
    Just does it for a laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

I remember the last Recession and this sort of behaviour (shouted conversations in public) was rife back in them days too.

As was the dole bashing. "They" coined the term Work Shy for anyone who'd been signing on for more than a month as you clearly weren't looking for, or interested in working. The fact that there were no jobs available wasn't taken into consideration, you were only unemployed because you were a shirker. Yeah, if that's what helps you sleep at night, get on with it.

"False" advertising of jobs has been going on for ever. I went for an interview in an office - never heard back from them, turned out they didn't hire anyone they just shared the work out among the staff that were already there. Rumour had it some places were advertising non existent jobs so that people could apply for them to prove they were looking for work - although that always seemed a bit far-fetched to me!

I remember being sent to a shop (from the dole office) that was looking for staff, the woman started screaming her head off. She'd no job going at all and didn't know why people kept coming in asking ... that sort of thing happened more than once (and it's still going on nowadays a mate of mine went to an address for an interview and the place didn't exist)

Tallon wrote: »
    If you don't mind me askin, what type of a job are you looking for?

A blowie, obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Just noticed in post by shezzie,post 83.
    There is such a thing as a mobile phone allowance,is it for real?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

holly1 wrote: »

I hope not. That would be taking the p!ss to a new level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

The telephone allowance for pensioners was extended to include mobiles a couple years ago alright. Dunno if applies to people on the dole though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Volvagia wrote: »
    You can avoid nasty situations like that by getting a job.

I will be unemployed from monday. I have been job hunting for 2 months and have had one interview. They told me I wasnt technical enough, but I could apply for a more junior role, to prove my technical ability.

I work in security, and part of my job is to hack into corporate networks. That interview was half way between a smack in the face, and being rodgered with a small car. I never intended on going on the dole, but it looks like I will have to. And to anyone who says I am scrounging, for the last 2 years I ahve been paying over a grand in tax a month. I think I deserve it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

I hope not. That would be taking the p!ss to a new level.

Well I got the impression they worked for social welfare,maby someone else would know,is there such an allowance!!!!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

I have never heard of that before - but I did witness a similar(ish..very ish actually!) incident whereby a woman (foreign national) put her two children onto the bus while she was folding her buggy (as a lot of mothers do - I have done it myself on occasion) she had her foot on the first step of the bus and the driver closed the doors and drove off leaving the woman running after the bus with a buggy she couldn't even push as it was half closed. All of us on the bus shouted at the driver to stop and he went on and drove around the corner before he stopped - knowing full well what he had done...

But in relation to all things 'dole' like - did anyone receive this email? apparently it was a letter submitted to the Independent:

I recently had a long conversation with a friend of mine who lost his job. He was in a reasonably good job and after a little bit of overtime was earning a gross salary of 35,000 per year. So I asked him the obvious question of how he was going to cope now with four children to feed and, I have to be honest, the answer startled me. He was actually a lot better off and now in a position to go out golfing every day while his children are at school Frankly, I did not believe him until I sat down and did the sums. On a salary of 35,000, his annual net income after the mini Budget was28,854, after all deductions. Now he is on the supplementary welfare allowance which -- with a wife
    and four children -- gives you 443.90 per week, or 23,083
    annually. As he also has a mortgage, he is entitled to mortgage interest supplement which pays all the interest on your mortgage. In his case, this was 1,200 per month of his 1,500 mortgage, or 14,400 per annum. He is also entitled to back-to-school and footwear payment of 905 per year for four children, a medical card which is worth, on average, say 500 per year (probably more) and a heating supplement which Icannot quantify In total, he now has tax-free income of 38,888, an increase in his net income of 10,034 per year for working on his golf handicap. Based on the calculations after the mini-Budget, you would need toearn more than 47,000 per year if you have four children to justifycontinuing to work. This is even before taking into account the costs of working, such as petrol, car maintenance, tolls, lunches and so on. Now in any civilised society, and especially in a society in a deep recession with a huge welfare bill, surely the government must give
    people an incentive to go out and work. Making the child benefit taxable or means tested later this year is just going to make the situation worse and encourage more people to give up work and rely on the State to live.It could even drive our small economy to collapse as the welfare bill gets bigger and bigger as more people, including myself, ask: why should I bother to go out to work when it is basically costing me money to work?. Unless something radically changes, I will be joining my mate on the golf course very soon.

I have no idea how true it is - but I thought it was very interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

The letter is true it was in the Irish Times or Indo yesterday.

It was written as a letter to the editor. The point of the writer was. There is no incentive to work. Really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

An ipod and a book is essential for dole cue I've found!
    I did see one girl there who looked like she was about to break down in tears felt so sorry for her....

So many other people like that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Ouijaboard

At the end of the day, people on the dole didnt run this countrys economy into the ground , people like this did: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fas-chief-splashed-8364400000-on-credit-card-1711709.html

Nobody can deny that there is a rip off the dole attitude prevalent in this society, I just find it funny that there's a chunk of people in this country who really resent everyone who signs on because they are still in their own dead end job and up to their ears in debt and blame everyone who 'takes the easy way out'. Its a shame really, no doubt the social welfare and HSE 'payforall' systems need to be shaken up a bit to stop the rot but the average social climber would do better to redirect more of their anger towards people like the FAS chief above and his ilk rather than the the average joe who is having real problems getting a job in the current environment. Of course the average climber wants to be Mr FAS above and resents everybody on the bottom of the ladder.

Trouble is if the anger is not directed properly we will continue to vote the current idiots back into power and we will be looking at another reckless spending and profiteering recession in another 10 years after this one abates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

trustno1 wrote: »
    All of us on the bus shouted at the driver to stop and he went on and drove around the corner before he stopped - knowing full well what he had done...

I hope ye reported him! :eek:

Letters like that one in the Indo are old hat, there's always going to be someone who can "prove" that you're better off on the dole than working ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

syklops wrote: »
    I will be unemployed from monday. I have been job hunting for 2 months and have had one interview. They told me I wasnt technical enough, but I could apply for a more junior role, to prove my technical ability.

I work in security, and part of my job is to hack into corporate networks. That interview was half way between a smack in the face, and being rodgered with a small car. I never intended on going on the dole, but it looks like I will have to. And to anyone who says I am scrounging, for the last 2 years I ahve been paying over a grand in tax a month. I think I deserve it back.

Ill employ you...then we can take over the world....

All we need is a paper clip, some gas, a piece of string, a computer and a hostage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Milkey Bar Kid

I think people are very narrow minded at the moment. You cant compare the people who were on the dole years ago when companys were hiring anyone from 16 to 60 who just didn't want to work to the people whos who lose their jobs by the thousands every month.
    There seems to be a lot of smug people in this thread who are probably sitting at there work PC's at the moment. By next week your job could be gone and you will be standing embarrased that you insulted others about the issue.

*Im still lucky to be in a job at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭shezzie

yep there is its a once a month payment of 26 euro for mobile/telephone allowance....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Woger

trustno1 wrote: »
    I have never heard of that before - but I did witness a similar(ish..very ish actually!) incident whereby a woman (foreign national) put her two children onto the bus while she was folding her buggy (as a lot of mothers do - I have done it myself on occasion) she had her foot on the first step of the bus and the driver closed the doors and drove off leaving the woman running after the bus with a buggy she couldn't even push as it was half closed. All of us on the bus shouted at the driver to stop and he went on and drove around the corner before he stopped - knowing full well what he had done...

But in relation to all things 'dole' like - did anyone receive this email? apparently it was a letter submitted to the Independent:

I recently had a long conversation with a friend of mine who lost his job. He was in a reasonably good job and after a little bit of overtime was earning a gross salary of 35,000 per year. So I asked him the obvious question of how he was going to cope now with four children to feed and, I have to be honest, the answer startled me. He was actually a lot better off and now in a position to go out golfing every day while his children are at school Frankly, I did not believe him until I sat down and did the sums. On a salary of 35,000, his annual net income after the mini Budget was28,854, after all deductions. Now he is on the supplementary welfare allowance which -- with a wife
    and four children -- gives you 443.90 per week, or 23,083
    annually. As he also has a mortgage, he is entitled to mortgage interest supplement which pays all the interest on your mortgage. In his case, this was 1,200 per month of his 1,500 mortgage, or 14,400 per annum. He is also entitled to back-to-school and footwear payment of 905 per year for four children, a medical card which is worth, on average, say 500 per year (probably more) and a heating supplement which Icannot quantify In total, he now has tax-free income of 38,888, an increase in his net income of 10,034 per year for working on his golf handicap. Based on the calculations after the mini-Budget, you would need toearn more than 47,000 per year if you have four children to justifycontinuing to work. This is even before taking into account the costs of working, such as petrol, car maintenance, tolls, lunches and so on. Now in any civilised society, and especially in a society in a deep recession with a huge welfare bill, surely the government must give
    people an incentive to go out and work. Making the child benefit taxable or means tested later this year is just going to make the situation worse and encourage more people to give up work and rely on the State to live.It could even drive our small economy to collapse as the welfare bill gets bigger and bigger as more people, including myself, ask: why should I bother to go out to work when it is basically costing me money to work?. Unless something radically changes, I will be joining my mate on the golf course very soon.

I have no idea how true it is - but I thought it was very interesting!

BS
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055540985

yep there is its a once a month payment of 26 euro....

What???

Is this for people on disability & pensioners or is it across the board for all people signing on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭shezzie

What???

Is this for people on disability & pensioners or is it across the board for all people signing on?

i have paid a few pensioners and a few on disability - maybe it is for long term social welfare recipients rather than new peoople to it as its not all pensioners or disability recipients receive whatever their criterium is - thats a social question.. and with the cut backs on budget it maybe gone soon...

i have paid a few pensioners and a few on disability - maybe it is for long term social welfare recipients rather than new peoople to it as its not all pensioners or disability recipients receive whatever their criterium is - thats a social question.. and with the cut backs on budget it maybe gone soon...

Maybe. But if someone has a genuine reason to have one, ie: a health condition, then I have no problem with that.
    But I really hope it's not something that's handed out freely because if it is there is a greater chance of it being cut & it's the people who genuinely need it that will suffer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

Sanjuro wrote: »
    I was once in the dole queue and I couldn't understand what anyone was saying because they were all speaking Foreign.

[/social commentary]
    You should start learning foreign languages so that in future you could understand them.

Advertisement