Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's what I experienced in the dole queue

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭shezzie

easyeason3 wrote: »
    Maybe. But if someone has a genuine reason to have one, ie: a health condition, then I have no problem with that.
    But I really hope it's not something that's handed out freely because if it is there is a greater chance of it being cut & it's the people who genuinely need it that will suffer.

isnt that the truth but i think thats the only way our government know how to govern - you know let the rich keep the money and let the poor get poorer and poorer - have spoken to some pensioners who cant afford the heating bills and say they are resorted to putting on a few jumpers cause they cant afford the heating - that is absolutely crazy - these are the very people who need the help the money and services

the government must think they'll never get old and needy though they are the rich ba**ards so they''ll be sorted so it doesnt really matter bout the rest of us - they drive me to distraction -

had one or two customers who literally didn't have a penny and cause i know them from coming to me over the years - one week the social didnt send them the money - they were so upset - they had no money so i gave them a few bob of my own money to sort them - only because i know them wouldnt have other wise as you do hear the stories - she tried paying me back the next week she had a small baby so told her to treat the child to something nice...its always nice to be nice and if i was down on my luck i would hope someone would help me out....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

i went there for the last two weeks, as mutual support for a friend cause they're kinda ashamed, but anyway the first time was funny cause i was looking at all the people who i went to school with signing on, and the the second time was also funny cause about half the people there come into my shop and got a vodka an apple juice..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

shezzie wrote: »
    i have paid a few pensioners and a few on disability - maybe it is for long term social welfare recipients rather than new peoople to it as its not all pensioners or disability recipients receive whatever their criterium is - thats a social question.. and with the cut backs on budget it maybe gone soon...
    It's just for those on disability and pensioners.

People getting basic JSA/B just get the basics.

As for the argument that you're better off on the dole than working;
    If you make €300 a week, you may spend €100* of that getting to and from work, lunches and other bits and pieces.
    The thing is though, you'll be working and not sitting on your arse all day.

*It's very easy to go through €20 a day on little things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

shezzie wrote: »
    isnt that the truth but i think thats the only way our government know how to govern - you know let the rich keep the money and let the poor get poorer and poorer - have spoken to some pensioners who cant afford the heating bills and say they are resorted to putting on a few jumpers cause they cant afford the heating - that is absolutely crazy - these are the very people who need the help the money and services

the government must think they'll never get old and needy though they are the rich ba**ards so they''ll be sorted so it doesnt really matter bout the rest of us - they drive me to distraction -

had one or two customers who literally didn't have a penny and cause i know them from coming to me over the years - one week the social didnt send them the money - they were so upset - they had no money so i gave them a few bob of my own money to sort them - only because i know them wouldnt have other wise as you do hear the stories - she tried paying me back the next week she had a small baby so told her to treat the child to something nice...its always nice to be nice and if i was down on my luck i would hope someone would help me out....

That's very sound of you to give them a few quid. I have a friend who is working at the moment but she is coming out with about the same amount of money as me at the end of the week because the company she works for is extremely stingy on wages & they have introduced a pay cut even though they haven't seen a drop in profits.
    Anyway she has a wedding coming up in the summer & I made a dress for her. She bought the material, which cost about €40 - €50. She tried to pay me for making it & when I refused money she nearly cried because she couldn't afford it even though she knew she was a project because I'm new to making dresses & had told her from the start I wouldn't, couldn't, charge her.
    It's always nice to do something nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 red-demon

Went - took a whiff - head my breath - got dizzy - left

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Anyone see Paddy o Gormans tv show where he was in the dole lineup in Cork there were so many people, its still on RTE player and is good watching as he is really good at listening to people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I found it awful the last time I was in a dole queue.

I'd always enjoyed dehumanizing the people on the dole and complaining about the drain on my taxes, but then found myself queuing with them for benefits!

I did briefly consider only accepting 50% of my benefits, in keeping with my trenchant views on social welfare reduction, but that's really only for people that deserve to be on the dole. People from houses with pebble-dash on them and so forth.

The problem was this: how would the world know that I'm unique, different and that I went to college even though I'm in exactly the same boat as everyone else in the queue?

Thankfully, I find that posting cruel and cliched vignettes about the other recipients anonymously on boards restores some modicum of superiority and worth.

I didn't say this to them at the time obviously! One of them offered me a read of their paper (The Star!!) and I just about stammered No Thanks through a rictus grin of fear and disgust.

I'm different. I will persevere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

stovelid wrote: »
    I found it awful the last time I was in a dole queue.

I'd always enjoyed dehumanizing the people on the dole and complaining about the drain on my taxes, but then found myself queuing with them for benefits!

I did briefly consider only accepting 50% of my benefits, in keeping with my trenchant views on social welfare reduction, but that's really only for people that deserve to be on the dole. People from houses with pebble-dash on them and so forth.

The problem was this: how would the world know that I'm unique, different and that I went to college even though I'm in exactly the same boat as everyone else in the queue?

Thankfully, I find that posting cruel and cliched vignettes about the other recipients anonymously on boards restores some modicum of superiority and worth.

I didn't say this to them at the time obviously! One of them offered me a read of their paper (The Star!!) and I just about stammered No Thanks through a rictus grin of fear and disgust.

I'm different. I will persevere.

Maybe been on the dole will knock some of the snobbery off ya.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I think you somewhat missed the point buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

In general, I'm always horrifically unimpressed by the things I see in places where they hand out money. I'm not going to go into any further.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Read again Jonjo. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Wuggectumondo

Once in the dole queue these two heroin addicts or something were really off their heads in the queue. The woman passed out and her boyfriend put her lying on the bench at the back. Then he started calling her but she didn't budge. So he started shouting her name and throwing bits of paper at her to try and make her move!

Another time this drunk man was telling me that he's been an alcoholic since he was 12. His friends were supposed to go to the dole office with him but they got arrested on the way in for drinking in public. He tried to steal a bottle of vodka from Lidl the week before and is getting FINED (not rehab or anything). After signing on he said he was off to Smithfield with his friends to drink for the rest of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

After signing on he said he was off to Smithfield with his friends to drink for the rest of the day.

Sounds like he's living the dream

Advertisement