Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LEONARD COHEN

Options
  • 16-04-2009 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

Im new to Leonard Cohen. All I really know of him is that he wrote Suzanne and Hallelujah. Im thinking of buying a CD of his and I was wandering which would be a better buy for somebody like me who is new to his music:
    would you recommend
    LEONARD COHEN Live In London (2CD)
    or
    LEONARD COHEN The Essential (2CD)?
    Both are out at present, I guess I will buy one of these anyway and see what he is all about...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Well, when its back in again I recommend 'The Essential.' Its how I started out with my Leonard fix. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

I bought the 'live in london' dvd last week, and I can honestly say it's three hours of pure genius. Just under £10 at amazon.co.uk

I always recommend 'The Essential Leonard Cohen' to any newbies, it's the songs chosen by Cohen himself, and it's only £7 at amazon.

If if had to choose between the two, I'd go with 'live in london' on either cd or dvd.

Roll on July..Can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I wasn't hot on the Live in London album, feels a bit lifeless (and it's made my mind up on whether to go see him or not, that's €100 saved!).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

I disagree!

Saw that same gig effectively in Stockholm about 6 months ago. It was really really good I'd highly recommend going to him and would go straight away again if he adds a date to the tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Woden wrote: »
    I disagree!

Saw that same gig effectively in Stockholm about 6 months ago. It was really really good I'd highly recommend going to him and would go straight away again if he adds a date to the tour.

Everyone I know who went said it was easily the best concert they were ever at, some said it was almost a spirtual experience.

Can't wait for July. Never seen him before, and I reckon this is his last trip to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

"The sublime Webb Sisters... the incomparable Sharon Robinson... thank you friends..." :D

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Songs of Love and Hate is where I started.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

just to get back to you all...I bought his live album and really enjoyed it....so I have just bought the best of CD also ...have not yet listened fully to this one yet but Im sure I will enjoy it. thanks everyone!

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Saw him live last year and without doubt one of the best gigs I've ever been to - going to the next gig too, tickets arrived yesterday... can't wait :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

You can't go wrong with the Best of...
    516M7H3KHDL._SS500_.jpg
    He looks great on the cover too, kinda like a non oily Brian Ferry, if there is such a thing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Flashback

Memories of sitting on a floor in somebodys living room listening to LC , surrounded by aging hippies ,some looking like manic depressives

Seriously I love LC :D

Advertisement