Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westport Activities For a Couple :) :) :)

Options
  • 16-04-2009 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

K so me and the Girlfriend are going out 2 years now at the end of April and I remember going to Westport when i was younger and loving it hence us going down now :) just wondering if people knew of fun and cheap activities (apart from the obvious :p) to do? I've been on the discover Ireland site and things like that but there is always something a local knows that kicks ass right?

I also looked at the things to do in forum but i hope to get more attention here (sorry) casuse i know i've left this kinda late!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Climb Croagh Patrick, if its a clear day the views are amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

murfie wrote: »
    Climb Croagh Patrick, if its a clear day the views are amazing.

Is ther buses out to it as neither of us drive!

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Neworder79

There is a Buseireann Westport - Lousburg service around mid-day which will drop you off at the carpark in Murrisk. But you could walk along the coast road which has a new walk/cycle path all the way from Westport Quay to Murrisk, and lovely views along the way, the Tavern bar/restaurant is a great spot for food on your way back.

If it's wet day there's a new spa at the Castlecourt. Some nice shops and galleries around town, and lots of good restaurants, Merlot at the Plaza hotel is good for flash food, Il Volcano (Italian), Sage (fish, steak) and Sol Rio (european) are fairly reliable, Matt Molloys, The Porter House and McGings bars, usually have music on the weekends. Tourist office on James st should give you a few ideas. From the Harbour there are a couple of boats doing fishing daytrips, but you might need to book a group, call to the Helm bar on the Quay. Westport House museum is worth for a look around. The Creel cafe is good for lunch.

I was going to suggest the great beaches at Old Head, Bertra, or surfing at Carrowinskey, but without a car...

hey cheers for the quick replies :) Really looking forward to heading down now but according to mates on facebook there is a place wher you can ride the pedal swans? Is this true and if so where is it?!?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

That's in Westport House.

• Advertisement

deadly thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

One of my favourite pubs in Westport

080520_Westport-Ireland-Matt-Molloy%27s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

NewOrder has covered the facilities fairly well - there are four swimming pools - the WTC Lesire Centre on James St and those attached to Hotel Westport, Castlecourt, Carlton Atlantic

I think bikes may be hired from Brehenys Castlebar Street or from the coalyard on James St.

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

If weather is sh*te, there is the cinema...don't think that's what your after though!;)

Enjoy regardless

haha the gf can't swim (and she's from tory island go figure) so the pools are out. I think we're gonna go up Croagh Patrick, my uncles says when you come back downthe pints at the bottom is the best you'll ever have!

i hope this all works out now :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 HibsAreIt

Theres two pubs at the bottom of croagh patrick, 1.The Tavern does a great meal and a nice wee pub 2. Cambells never been in such a smelly little pub in my life.:D

well i'd just like to thank everyone for their tips and things, we had a feckin blast when we were down there. We Climbed croagh Patrick and then had a few pints in the tavern at the bottom. as last poster said cambells was a bit rough and the barman even said that he was shutting due to trouble ( there was travellers everywhere!) We stayed in Mill times. very handy and cheap too! oh and pikapotandpaint is great craic if you are into that kinda stuff and they'll post it out to you too!

oh just a quick note it's a f*ckin nightmare to get there. 102 euro return for 2 from letterkenny. couldn't believe it! oh and for all those that drink in dublin, the porterhouse isn't the same as the ones in Dublin!

Thank you people of westport for a wonderful time! (cheesy i know)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

danniemcq wrote: »
    haha the gf can't swim (and she's from tory island go figure) so the pools are out. I think we're gonna go up Croagh Patrick, my uncles says when you come back downthe pints at the bottom is the best you'll ever have!

i hope this all works out now :)

Myself and herself cant swim but we would go regardless. Ive been to the leisure complex and its very good. O Malley's restaurant is very nice in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Take a spin down to Achill. Follow the Atlantic drive down to Kim beach. Absolutely gorgeous even when its raining (which it probably will be) :)

Advertisement