Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

car seats for 4yr old

Options
  • 16-04-2009 3:58pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

just wondering if anyone has used the isofix seat / booster chairs for four years + ?

I've always used the isofix car seat for my little boy, but he's turning four soon and is already 19kg. is it worth paying the extra to get the isofix or just a standard seat/booster?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

My two year old is 16 kg's, so I'm looking into the possibility of going down the booster seat road soon.

In relation to Isofix I would happily pay the extra few euro based on the fact that they are near 96% installed correctly as oppossed to the the standard seatbelt type which is 30%

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

If your child is at least 15kgs he's safe to go on a booster seat/cushion. A cushion is just the bottom part while the seat has a higher back on it. While it is legal and safe to put the child on the cushion provided they are 15kgs it is recommended to use a high back booster for extra protection around the head.

There is no istallation when it comes to booster seats. The child's weight holds the seat against the car and the seatbelt holds him against the seat. Isofix holds the seat in place, so it is safe for the other passangers in the car if the child is not in the seat. i.e it wont be thrown around the car in event of an accident. Having said this, if you buckle the seatbelt over the empty seat belt this will do the same job.

Hope this clears it up a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

delly wrote: »
    My two year old is 16 kg's, so I'm looking into the possibility of going down the booster seat road soon.

In relation to Isofix I would happily pay the extra few euro based on the fact that they are near 96% installed correctly as oppossed to the the standard seatbelt type which is 30%

Your current seat can hold up to 18kgs....usually children arent ready for booster seats til they're about 3-4...however if your child is coming up to the max age then it is indeed time to look for a new seat!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

thanks everyone for your advice. decided to go for a Graco Logico LX Comfort in the end, it seemed to be the only one with a really comfortable seat, so as we do a lot of travelling by car, thought it was only fair he didn't have to sit on a hard seat:)

Advertisement