Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Madden Retires

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I wonder if the EA games will stop being called after him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

I wonder if the EA games will stop being called after him.

Funny thing is they havent used him in years to do full recordings. He gives them voice samples. Im sure he will still gladly take the huge contract for very little work. A few hours talking into a mic.

I wont miss him I have to say he rambles on too much these days anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Sad to see him retire, i really liked his broadcasting skills, he was the voice of the NFL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I wont miss him I have to say he rambles on too much these days anyways.
    That's true but he was the best I know of at seeing linemen's mistakes and great plays. That said, you don't know if somebody was talking in his ear about it. I'll still miss him even though him and Al had a tendency to wander at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

SeekUp wrote: »
    Who will do Sunday Night Football with Al Michaels now?!?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Cris Collinsworth take his place.

Will miss him he may have not been the same in recent years but during his peak when paired with Pat Summerall that was my favourite commentary team in recent years,

Thank god that mancrush on Brett Favre is over:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

jdivision wrote: »
    That's true but he was the best I know of at seeing linemen's mistakes and great plays. That said, you don't know if somebody was talking in his ear about it. I'll still miss him even though him and Al had a tendency to wander at times.

Very true he saw the plays others didnt. Its a pity in later years he rambled more and more as he was a great commentator and analyst back in the day. I have to say I will deep down kind of miss his rambles :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

Very true he saw the plays others didnt. Its a pity in later years he rambled more and more as he was a great commentator and analyst back in the day. I have to say I will deep down kind of miss his rambles :D

Can't say that I ever heard any of the old broadcasts . . . but I do know that I will miss his promotion of turducken around Thanksgiving!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Depressing news, really loved listening to John Madden. He has his own opinions on things but I learned a lot about the game years ago just by watching him. All the scribbles with the magic tv pen showing you what was going on was just brilliant.
    What made him unique is that he always watched the line closely and as a former lineman himself he was quick to give credit to those players. Also as a former coach he could read the game better than most and call a play just before it happened.
    There is nobody to replace him, I would say my favourite now is Troy Aikmen although he is a bit to nice about mistakes. There is a huge hole being left there now, I'd say Daryl Johnson is likely to replace him, I don't see Collinsworth getting back into commentating fulltime on tv, he did it before and he would always get the no.1 job at one of the networks if he wanted it. I think he is happy doing what he does now. He is a great analyst and he would be the best replacement imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

LEGEND. In every sense of the word.

John Madden's Raiders teams of the 70s are a big reason that I became a football fan. He was a maniac on the sidelines.

I can't believe that he has been in the booth for 30 years. I think it is more of statment of denial of my age on my part than anything else.

I have honestly never knownthe NFL without John Madden in one form or another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

One of my favourite comments from Madden is on the final drive where he says the Patriots should go conservative with their rookie QB and play for overtime. His doubt made the achivement more remarkable and epic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,316 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Sea Devils wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Cris Collinsworth take his place

We can only hope! best man out there and does 8 games a season? For shame...

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

How sweet Favre & Madden to spend their retirement together LOL

A true broadcasting legend but really should hve done this years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well the good news is that Chris Collinsworth is taking the place of the legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

SeekUp wrote: »
    Who will do Sunday Night Football with Al Michaels now?!?

Andy Gray :p

ah john madden is a ledgend and its sad to see that he is officialy out of the business,

have to agree with tallaghoutlaws, his rambles can get a bit annoying, but il miss him all the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭JJ

It's sad to see Madden go. I'd agree his games with Pat Summerall were the best. Madden always had funny and quirky stories to tell and had an insight into the game that few people have. You can tell he's always talking with the players and knows what's going on in their heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭TheHeadhunter

Raging he is gone and not happy about Collinsworth gettin the job, his voice irritates the hell out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Crapjob Sean

Hazys wrote: »
    Sad to see him retire, i really liked his broadcasting skills, he was the voice of the NFL.

Harry Kalas was the voice of the NFL for me.
    Hazys wrote: »
    One of my favourite comments from Madden is on the final drive where he says the Patriots should go conservative with their rookie QB and play for overtime. His doubt made the achivement more remarkable and epic.

Heh. Indeed.

I was never really a fan of Madden as an announcer. For me he stated the blindingly obvious too much.
    I'm glad he's retired so I can stop actively disliking him and give him the respect his record deserves.

He introduced me to turducken, and for that, John, I will always be grateful.

Advertisement