Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2008/2009 NBA Playoffs

Options
  • 16-04-2009 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭

Never mind any of the topics of MVP's or regular season games the Playoffs have finally arrived.

Hopefully it will be a Lakers-Cavs finals. Hope what ESPN are saying about Garnett isn't true:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

That sucks if Garnett misses the playoffs, although the Cavs and Le Bron are the team to beat, I would still fancy Boston come the playoffs. Without KG though it will be a lot tougher.
    I haven't watched as much NBA recently as usual due to the Warriors sucking so much, it just turns me off, really looking forward to the playoffs, I think they could be extremely good this year.

East

I think Detroit could put up a good fight against Cleveland although that could be wishful thinking but I do think they can push them a little.

Obviously have to pick the Celtics against the Bulls but if Derick Rose turns it on they could give them a little scare, a good test for the Celtics.

Can't really see Orlando losing to Phili, I think Alston was a very good replacement for Nelson, should win easy enough.

The Heat V Hawks is tough one to call, Hawks have had a great season but Wade should bring Miami home in my opinion.I hope the Heat win, love watching Wade play.

West

Lakers should and will beat Utah but heres to hoping Jerry Sloan shocks us all. Won't be a walk in the park but they should win.

Hornetts V Nuggets is one game I am really looking forward to. Really tough one to cal, Nuggets have been in great form and Billups have proven to be a great trade. I think if Chris Paul turns it on the New Orleans will win but it will have to be for every game.

Dallas V Mavs will be a great match up, Dallas seem to be finding some good form coming into the playoffs and will really push San Antonio all the way. Could be the end of an era for one of these teams, have a feeling Mavs might pull it off.

Houston V Portland is extremely tough to call, can't really pick a winner. Portland maybe if they can keep Yao quite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

East

(1) Cleveland V (8) Detroit- Iverson tradionally owns the Cavs but since he's not playing Detroit simply don't come close to matching up well. The Pistons having a rookie coach, supbar PG play since Billups was traded and no interior defenders to really keep Lebron out of the paint means the Cavs should take this in 5

(2) Boston V (7) Chicago)- If Garnett really is done well it's impossible to see them beating the Cavs in a 7 game series but thats for another day. Chicago may have won 14 out of the last 17 games I think? but I think Rondo can deal with Rose and really in order for the Bulls to stay in the series not only does Tryus Thomas have to post up 20 and 10 games but they have to shoot the lights out consistenty,. Celtics in 6

(3) Orlando V (6) Philadelphia- Orlando closed out the season horribly with losses to the Knicks and Grizzlies and the sixers match up well against the Magic with their athleticism on the inside. There is potential for an upset here. With that said, I expect the Magic to win this series despite their recent mediocrie play. Magic in 4

(4) Atlanta V (5) Miami Big Wade fan as well especially after the Olympics but the Hawks just seem to have more depth. What will be interesting to see is how the Heat players respond when Atlana starts doubling Wade at half-court late in the game bcause you know it's coming. Other guys will have to step up and that's asking alot from rookies. Still Miami in 7. Just can't bet against Wade...

West

(1) Los Angeles Lakers V (8) Utah Jazz The Jazz have been playing like garbage lately but having watched this series last year I wouldn't be surprised if Phil allows Deron Williams to be a scorer and not get the perimeter guys like Brewer, Kirilenko, and Korver going. Okur could be a problem for Gasol but the Lakers take this in 4

(2) Denver Nuggets V (7) New Orleans Hornets Most underrated series in the Playoffs. Has the potential to go the distance but I just think Billups is a nightmare matchup for Paul. He doesn't turn the ball over and is a guard that has no problem going down on the block against a smaller player or shooting over the top of him. As well as that Peja will have nightmares defensively against the likes of Melo plus the Hornets donn't have any sort of player to contain JR Smith who has been shooting lights out the last few games. Nuggets in 6.

(3) San Antonio Spurs V (6) Dallas Mavericks One of my all time recently favourite playoff series which unforunately ended with that Manu boneheaded play. no Manu this time around but Duncan is playing out of this world and unlike Dirk he has more of a supporting cast who can hit shots when needed. Spurs in 5.

(4) Portland Trailblazers V (5 Houston Rockets) I think the Blazers are the only team that can give the Lakers a decent matchup but focusing on this series . Pyzbilla/Oden I think will Neutralize Yao enough. Outside of that, the Rockets don't have a lot of firepower )Ron Artest the exception.) I hink there are going to be some exciting games in this one though. Portland in 6

• Registered Users Posts: 38,497 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Eastern Conference

(8) Detroit Pistons vs. (1) Cleveland Cavaliers
    1. Sat, Apr 18 – at Cle, 3:00 pm EDT
    2. Tue, Apr 21 – at Cle, 8:00 pm EDT
    3. Fri, Apr 24 – at Det, 7:00 pm EDT
    4. Sun, Apr 26 – at Det, 3:30 pm EDT
    *5. Wed, Apr 29 – at Cle
    *6. Fri, May 1 – at Det
    *7. Sun, May 3 – at Cle

(7) Chicago Bulls vs. (2) Boston Celtics

1. Sat, Apr 18 – at Bos, 12:30 pm EDT
    2. Mon, Apr 20 – at Bos, 7:00 pm EDT
    3. Thu, Apr 23 – at Chi, 8:00 pm EDT
    4. Sun, Apr 26 – at Chi, 1:00 pm EDT
    *5. Tue, Apr 28 – at Bos
    *6. Thu, Apr 30 – at Chi
    *7. Sat, May 2 – at Bos

(6) Philadelphia 76ers vs. (3) Orlando Magic
    1. Sun, Apr 19 – at Orl, 5:30 pm EDT
    2. Wed, Apr 22 – at Orl, 7:00 pm EDT
    3. Fri, Apr 24 – at Phi, 8:00 pm EDT
    4. Sun, Apr 26 – at Phi, 6:30 pm EDT
    *5. Tue, Apr 28 – at Orl
    *6. Thu, Apr 30 – at Phi
    *7. Sat, May 2 – at Orl

(5) Miami Heat vs. (4) Atlanta Hawks
    1. Sun, Apr 19 – at Atl, 8:00 pm EDT
    2. Wed, Apr 22 – at Atl, 8:00 pm EDT
    3. Sat, Apr 25 – at Mia, 6:30 pm EDT
    4. Mon, Apr 27 – at Mia
    *5. Wed, Apr 29 – at Atl
    *6. Fri, May 1 – at Mia
    *7. Sun, May 3 – at Atl

Western Conference

(8) Utah Jazz vs. (1) Los Angeles Lakers
    1. Sun, Apr 19 – at LAL, 3:00 pm EDT
    2. Tue, Apr 21 – at LAL, 10:30 pm EDT
    3. Thu, Apr 23 – at Uta, 10:30 pm EDT
    4. Sat, Apr 25 – at Uta, 9:00 pm EDT
    *5. Mon, Apr 27 – at LAL
    *6. Thu, Apr 30 – at Uta
    *7. Sat, May 2 – at LAL

(7) New Orleans Hornets vs. (2) Denver Nuggets
    1. Sun, Apr 19 – at Den, 10:30 pm EDT
    2. Wed, Apr 22 – at Den, 10:30 pm EDT
    3. Sat, Apr 25 – at NO, 1:00 pm EDT
    4. Mon, Apr 27 – at NO
    *5. Wed, Apr 29 – at Den
    *6. Fri, May 1 – at NO
    *7. Sun, May 3 – at Den

(6) Dallas Mavericks vs. (3) San Antonio Spurs
    1. Sat, Apr 18 – at SA, 8:00 pm EDT
    2. Mon, Apr 20 – at SA, 9:30 pm EDT
    3. Thu, Apr 23 – at Dal, 8:30 pm EDT
    4. Sat, Apr 25 – at Dal, 4:00 pm EDT
    *5. Tue, Apr 28 – at SA
    *6. Fri, May 1 – at Dal
    *7. Sun, May 3 – at SA

(5) Houston Rockets vs. (4) Portland Trail Blazers
    1. Sat, Apr 18 – at Por, 10:30 pm EDT
    2. Tue, Apr 21 – at Por, 10:00 pm EDT
    3. Fri, Apr 24 – at Hou, 9:30 pm EDT
    4. Sun, Apr 26 – at Hou, 9:00 pm EDT
    *5. Tue, Apr 28 – at Por
    *6. Thu, Apr 30 – at Hou
    *7. Sat, May 2 – at Por

I thought I'd do a decent playoff post for my 5000th post on boards.

My take on it. I'm a Celtics fan by the way so any bias has to be understood. I will be reasonable though.

Firstly the Western Conference playoffs. The Lakers are clear favourites to make it all the way to the Finals and try and make up for last year. I think the team has improved on last season. Kobe is his usual self, but Pau Gasol has been more impressive than ever this year imo. The return of Andrew Bynum from injury has made them look almost unstoppable. Now Derek Fisher is a fine point guard but he has not been at his best towards the end of this season. This is the one possible weakness in this team. Trevor Ariza is another player who has improved a great deal this season. I like their chances with a very strong bench that includes Sasha Vujicic and Lamar Odom.
    So who can take them? Well for me its down to the three top seeds and they only meet one of them. The Nuggets finished the season strongly after a bad start and unhappy fans with the departure of Allen Iverson.
    Their starting five have been very impressive since then with Carmello Antony really settling in and becoming more of a team player as well as an outstanding individual talent. Of course on Defence Nene has been awesome averaging 5.4 defensive rebounds per game and 7.8 overall and his improved scoring contribution has been huge also. Overall this team is the one team for me that can possibly take the Lakers.
    The Spurs of course are never out of the picture in the West but I just feel that Tim Duncan has not been the same player this season. His stats proved that too being down on his lifetime average in both points and rebounds this season. Of course they have Ginobli and Parker there too and they are fantastic players but I just feel that they lack the depth to challenge the Lakers over five games.
    I believe the Lakers will beat any team in the finals with the exception of the Denver Nuggets. While the Nuggets have lost twice to them, they got the better of them in their most recent encounter and this team has really been on fire over the last couple of months. The problem for me is that I see the Spurs beating the Nuggets if they meet.

On the Eastern side there is no doubt heading into the playoffs that LeBron and the Cleveland Cavaliers are huge favourites and rightly so. LeBron is streets ahead of anybody else(even Kobe) in the NBA right now. They have been simply awesome and that hammering the Celtics took the other night was misery for me but a reality check heading into the playoffs. I watched the Bulls the other night against the Raptors and they looked distinterested and almost like they wanted to meet the Celtics rather than the Magic in the playoffs. Garnett is crucial to the Celtics cause, maybe not in the first round but he has to be ready for action after that or we are going nowhere. As well as Paul Pierce has played this year, the team is not up to it defensively without KG.
    The Cavs are going to cruise to the finals, there is no team capable of taking them down over a series. I'll be surprised if they suffer more than two defeats before the Western Conference finals.
    Some people like the Magic but as good as Dwight Howard is and I love watching him play, I don't think Orlando have the bench to go all the way. I would fancy the Celtics with KG to take them, I think they are a year or maybe two away from being serious contenders, its all about adding depth for them.
    I'd love to say the Celtics can do it, but its all about KG right now. Hopefully we can get him back to his best, and who knows if we make the Conference finals again we just might take it.
    Overall though it has to be the Cavs for me from the East.

And when it comes to a final, I think the Lakers might just be too strong for the Cavs, but who knows just what LeBron is capable of when his back is to the wall, we've seen it before.

Red Auerbach is a legend but I'll say this about Phil Jackson, he got six titles with MJ and another three with Shaq/Kobe but if he wins with this team its a more incredible achievement that the other nine imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I agree with eagle eye's post.

The Lakers should reach the finals without too many problems, maybe only the experienced Spurs could take a game or two from them, but they are missing Ginobli with a long term injury I think.

If the Celtics get KG back at full fitness for the EC finals then they could give the Cavs a tough series. The Celtics are experienced and very tough, plus with Rondo having a great season they now have 4 players who could easily drop 30 points. That said LeBron had a poor finals last year shooting badly and making poor decisions, I can't see him doing that again. The Cav's also have a stronger all round offensive team with Mo Williams.

Lakers to beat the Cavs 4-2 in the finals!

eagle eye wrote: »
    [
    Red Auerbach is a legend but I'll say this about Phil Jackson, he got six titles with MJ and another three with Shaq/Kobe but if he wins with this team its a more incredible achievement that the other nine imo.

I think thats a very interesting point. I always felt as a coach he was somewhat overrated with the amount of talent he had and the fact remains he should never have been outcoached by the likes of Doc Rivers or Larry Brown but getting those two respesctive Laker teams to the Finals in the first place was an achievement. It's the fact that he has managed to blend Bynum into the lineup this quickly thats pretty incredible for me.

• Advertisement

Boston V Chicago is first up, still have to feel Celtics have too much for them with Pierce and Allen, also Rondo when he gets going.
    First of many playoffs for Rose you have to think, looking forward to watching him play. This is a young team, hopefully they can play loose.

I said previously that the Pistons could push Cavs but thinking about it, it could be a blow out, Detroit still have a lot of their core players, hope they can show they still have some fight in them

Could be a long day on the couch :pac:

Celtics V Bulls gone to OT !
    What a brilliant game it has been, even if the Bulls lose, they deserve some credit for this performance. I honestly think they have been the better team, had a couple of calls go against them.
    Rose v Rondo has been great, Rose has been out of this world, first playoffs :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Anyone got a stream that's working?

Yeah Rose was class but Noah has to take a lot of the credit, his rebounding made the difference imo. :(

Chicago deserved to win this game. All-around contributions from everyone. Not only was Rose unbelievable, but contributions from Salmons, Noah, Thomas and many others helped their cause.

• Advertisement

Yea, have to agree about Noah, he was extremely good today, didn't rate him too highly when he came out of Florida, something about him annoyed me too but he is extremely competitive and did very well today.

Rose is a great talent though, the Bulls can really build around him for the future. He has a great attitude as well, very hard working and when he is interviewed he genuinely comes across as respectful and grounded. Has a great demeanor about him.
    He had some game - 36 pts and 11 ast, cool as you like from the free throw especially down the stretch

So I gave the Cavs game a miss and intended to watch the Spurs but missed it also. One playoff game per day does not do it for me, so I had to watch the Rockets at Portland.

I haven't seen the Rockets at all really late in the season, I was always thinking they were in contention until they lost McGrady.

Well I just watched a sick first half from Yao who is currently 9/9 FG, 6/6 FT, 9 Reb. and 1 block. And Dikembe came in to give give him a rest at one stage and he had 6 Reb. in a short space of time. The Blazers are known as a very strong home court team but they are getting destroyed here and most of its down to Yao, currently at halftime its 62-44.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

is the NBA shown on sky sports these days?
    if not any other channels got it?

Cavs - Lakers final, Lebron to burn Kobe in the final. :)

http://veetle.com/viewChannel.php?cid=49d76b4b9e7ad Very good stream. Charles Barkley needs to lay off the burgers though! :pac:

Boston, Orlando, San Antonio, & Portland all lose their first games? If the Lakers & Cavs are on a collision course for the NBA Finals, they're definitely off to a good start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sslazio11

As a Spurs fan our shot at the title went out the window with Ginobili's injury forcing him out of the playoffs. Great game from Parker last night to draw the series with the Mavs level, I think San Antonio can do this in 7, and maybe, possibly take the Nuggets in the second round, but they just don't have the firepower for the Lakers. If they couldn't do it with a gimpy Ginobili last year, they're not doing it without him this year.

I think Boston's shot at the title went with Garnett being ruled out, a Rondo shot away from going 2-0 down to the Bulls is not a good sign. It really does look a nailed-on Cavs-Lakers finals. Will be a great series, impossible to call really.

Another great game between Boston and Chicago, Gordon put on a masterclass performance in shooting, game could of went either way but Allen was able to produce yet again. Chicago didn't show any respect to Davis, he kept on knocking down jump shots, Miller never got close enough. Looking forward to game 3, did anyone see Garnett shouting down at the Bulls players with this mental look on his face when Allen got the winner, he is insane, priceless !

Spurs and Dallas is still a tough one to call, can't really stop Parker when he gets going but Dallas still might edge it out.

Cleveland v Detroit tonight, Pistons must figure out some way to contain LeBron, it doesn't look good though, could be a quick series !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

ust watched game 2 of the bulls-celtics

is there anything like the atmosphere of a close basketball game in the playoffs? when ray allen hit that three to clinch it i thought the roof was going to come off the place!

great battle between allen and the bulls' ben gordon, some terrific shots being hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

Can we watch the playoffs in Ireland? Are they on sky sports??

• Advertisement

The Hornets have the worst bench in the NBA.

Someone explain to me how they made it deep in the playoffs last year :confused:

Sea Devils wrote: »
    The Hornets have the worst bench in the NBA.

Someone explain to me how they made it deep in the playoffs last year :confused:

Chris-Paul

Excellent result for Miami last night, there is no stopping Wade when he gets into a rhythm. He got some well needed help off Cook, O'Neall and Beasely too, they have a nice looking team when they get going, Beasely will be a big player for years to come.

Celtics at Bulls tonight, tough one to call, I want to say the Bulls will take it at home but you can't write off the Celtics just yet with the caliber of players they have, it will hopefully be another great game, atmosphere will be brilliant.

I think the Jazz could beat the Lakers tonight, Utah is a hard place to go and win, should be close.

Spurs v Dallas, who knows

I'm hoping the Celtics can get it together tonight. As I said before though we are going no further without KG. He is so crucial on defence, the guys just don't know how to play without him. Now we've lost Leon and Rondo hurt his ankle the other night so we don't know how he will perform. On the plus side great to see Scal back, but we need Rondo for all our games right now and Pierce is due a big one. Scal is one of my favs, love to see him come up big tonight on his return.

The Lakers are gonna whoop Utah imo. I think this one is over in four games.

Lakers look fairly comfortable against Utah. Think the Jazz only led once in this series and that was in the first 90 seconds of game one. In other words when Kobe doesn't have to break sweat until the 4th quarter well then you're in trouble. That being said even without Okur I can possibly seeing them win tonight although if you look at the above perdictions I'm not the most reliable...

The way Miami bounced back against the Hawks was pretty cool. If O Neal and Beasley give wade some help then the heat could advance. Can't count out the Hornets against the Nuggets even though Paul needs a lot more hel from Peja etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Celtics very impressive in game three tonight, so far.

Yeah, it was a very good performance. Pierce was superb tonight and Rondo was class again. Good performance by all five starters. Marbury played well too, delighted to see Scal get some time and drain a three pointer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

Celtics very impressive in game three tonight, so far.

Where are you matching the game Arthur? Are they on any of the terrestrial channels?

Yea, the Celtics played very well last night, as said all 5 starters played well and players off the bench also contributed. Having said that, I don't think it was anything spectacular, for me it was more of a case of the Bulls being absolutely woeful altogether, they never got going, committed turnover after turnover, missed shot after shot and gave up fairly early. It might be that the occasion got to them but I would expect a closer game come the weekend.
    Celtics have the better players but at home you would expect the Bulls to push them all the way.
    Kenny Smith hit the nail on the head last nigh when talking about Rondo, players need to get out to him quicker and put a hand in his face when he shoots, he will shoot a good percentage when uncontested but if there is decent pressure you will see him miss the majority. It will also stop him getting that extra couple of steps and burst of speed he is able to build up and go to the basket. I think players have to show him a bit more respect.

Go on The Jazz I say !!! Although its only one win and the Lakers are still odds on, the Jazz put on a great performance, well Boozer was unreal, he really took the game to them and was aggressive all game and took it to the basket when it mattered. Atmosphere was brilliant, go on the Mormons.

Dallas seem to be in control, Duncan didn't get a sniff.

Detroit is in early foul trouble with wallace on 4 and Rip on 3 in the first half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Baldie wrote: »
    Where are you matching the game Arthur? Are they on any of the terrestrial channels?

The stream mentionned above. Don't think they're on TV anywhere in Ireland.

Advertisement