Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bonfires

• 16-04-2009 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

With Bonfire night coming up soon, I was just wondering, is it illegal to contribute to bonfires? I have a three piece suite that I want rid of....

Mods, if this is the wrong forum, please move it. I didn't know where to post it.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'm pretty sure that's just dumping really. Wouldn't even all burn I would imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

highly illegal. and unsightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,267 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Isn't there some sort of polution law or something making it illegal to even burn things in your own back garden?

Bloody facist state. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

But just think of the joy that couch could bring to the children. :p

They could sit on it and watch the fire and then when it dies down throw it in to help the fire burn again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Bonfire night has become a great opportunity for householders and indeed builders to get rid of all kinds of rubbish and the powers that be won't clamp down on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Every year on the green area just outside the Train station
    an amount of rubbish with nearly always a couch or two
    magically appears and gets burned. Its like its an excuse
    for poeple in the area to dumb their crap.

I think last year or the year before said area made the papers and they gave some crazy Price on what it cost
    to repair the same the bonfire caused to the bit of grass.

~B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

But just think of the joy that couch could bring to the children. :p

They could sit on it and watch the fire and then when it dies down throw it in to help the fire burn again.

Happy memories of this.

Was reared in one the less desirable estates and there would be compititions between the avenues of who could have the biggest bonfires.
    Used go round collecting for about a week beforehand, people would let junk pile up all year for us to burn. Yup Yup. One year an old man gave us a big telly. Not recommended!!!

Remember crying one year cos we couldnt go cos it was my bros first communion the following day and we werent allowed go because my mam was worried sh woldnt be able to wash the smell of bonfire of us!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Unsightly and illegal. Bonfire material should be removed and anyone found dumping household waste severely fined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

Birdie086 wrote: »
    Happy memories of this.

Was reared in one the less desirable estates and there would be compititions between the avenues of who could have the biggest bonfires.
    Used go round collecting for about a week beforehand, people would let junk pile up all year for us to burn. Yup Yup. One year an old man gave us a big telly. Not recommended!!!

Remember crying one year cos we couldnt go cos it was my bros first communion the following day and we werent allowed go because my mam was worried sh woldnt be able to wash the smell of bonfire of us!!!!

Oh this brings back great memories!! I'd say we start one with boards members in Limerick!! My fire's coming along great with me three piece!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Hooked

For the love and honour of Christ!
    Why not just rename it BONFINE night...

Bonfire night always has and continues to be the night you get the local kids to get rid of all your crap, while they eat chocolate/toffee apples with their mates or risk cooking a few sausages... I never did figure out how we never poisoned ourselves back in the day...

Last year I got rid of my entire kitchen, 2 beds and all the leftover timber from the new deck. And threw the kids a tenner for sweets and drinks. You should have seen their faces...

If the nackers can burn fires week in week out on the side of the road, then the kids can have one night a year.

Fond memories of hogging the armchair before throwing it in...

Rant over...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

RonMexico wrote: »
    Unsightly and illegal. Bonfire material should be removed and anyone found dumping household waste severely fined.

Ok, captain buzzkill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Hooked wrote: »
    Last year I got rid of my entire kitchen, 2 beds and all the leftover timber from the new deck.

Where do you cook and sleep now?
    Hooked wrote: »
    You should have seen their faces...

Were they upset you threw out their beds or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

I am relatively new to Limerick. When is bonfire night & how did it start??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Bit about it here now sure how true to the roots
    it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beltaine

Great when your a kid but not so much when your an Adult
    as it tends to look like this nowadays:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BonfireinBraniel.JPG

~B

Advertisement