Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camcorder Woes - Not Fit for Use/Of Merchantable Quality

Options
  • 16-04-2009 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭

On the 4th of January 2008 I purchased a Samsung Camcorder (Model VP-D371) from an Electronics store in Tenerife. The camcorder was demonstrated to be working in the shop by way of a very brief recording and playback.

When I arrived home I found that the camcorder was broken. Half of the video was corrupted on playback. There was no signs of damage to the camcorder or it's box which had been well packed and put into hand luggage. Samsung UK were contacted after we tried cleaning the video heads ourselves. After much wrangling back and forth about where the camcorder was purchased we were given a warranty repair by their authorised repairers over here (Dimpco). This repair took place on January 23rd 2008 and the entire video head/motor drum was replaced - they even sent back the broken one.

We tested the camcorder and it appeared to work just fine. Since then we've used it 4 times and it worked every time, the most recent of which was in September 2008 for my graduation. We also keep the camcorder in the safe, so it's not thrown under a bed or anything. I went to London on Friday and tested it briefly before leaving, everything appeared to be in order.

While in London I took a lot of video. When a tape change was required I noticed that the video corruption had returned because I played back the last 2 or 3 minutes before the changeover (Corruption only shows on playback, not during recording). I cleaned the heads and put in a new tape and crossed my fingers - it didn't do much good.

When I got home I found that it was the exact same for both tapes (high quality Sony) and for the entire 2 hours of recording I took. I was unbelievably sick over this, thoroughly disappointed.

I gave the tapes to a friend who tested them in his own Samsung, and yes they were corrupted. He played a tape he recorded on his camcorder on mine and it was fine. He recorded stuff with our camcorder onto his tape and played it back in his own camcorder - corrupt. Everything pointed to our video head/drum being shot again.

So I contact Samsung, explaining the story and they put us onto BAVS who are their authorised repairer in Ireland now. BAVS are trying to charge me for the repair because it's out of warranty since January 4th 2009 (12 months).

In stark contrast, video heads are NOT meant to break after 12 months. My friend has his camcorder for 6 years and the original head is going strong. Even the engineer I spoke to from BAVS said "Wow! Heads are meant to last years".

We don't trust the camcorder anymore, it's just after screwing us over two times too many and we're left now with a piece of scrap that's going to cost us more to repair than to buy new (brand new VP-D371 models go for €120).

My dad's incredibly angry over this and thinks we might have a case. I just didn't want him going off to file a small claims court thing without getting some opinions from here - some of you seem pretty well versed in this sorta stuff :) Surely there's a comeback for us?

The guarantee card says international warranty btw, just in case that becomes an issue :D

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

On the 4th of January 2008 I purchased a Samsung Camcorder (Model VP-D371) from an Electronics store in Tenerife. The camcorder was demonstrated to be working in the shop by way of a very brief recording and playback.

My dad's incredibly angry over this and thinks we might have a case. I just didn't want him going off to file a small claims court thing without getting some opinions from here - some of you seem pretty well versed in this sorta stuff :) Surely there's a comeback for us?

The guarantee card says international warranty btw, just in case that becomes an issue :D
    Cash back at original point of sale only and since it is not an Irish bought item from a Irish company you can't use the SCC to get money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

This is where Irish law ends up not being on your side. Your contract is with the retailer and even though the manufacture carried out a repair their warranty of 1 year is at their discretion.

The European guarantee has been quoted here a few times, where an item can be argued to be defective even up to 5 years after purchase depending on the item, but as far as I can remember it is also the retailers responsibility to fulfill this warrenty rather than the manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

As Nody said, the SCC will not entertain a claim as it was not bought in Ireland.

I think your tale of woe just underlines the risks in buying from electronics stores in holiday destinations like Tenerife. Just don't do it!

There are plenty of highly reputable retailers on the net where you will get such items cheaper than in those stores. And they will be genuine and new.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Thanks for the opinions, glad I came here even if the news wasn't great :( Will tell the folks tomorrow then I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Never buy electronics in the Canaries, it's never what you think it is, and it rarely works for long. Although the Islands are part of the EU, they are exempt from certain aspects, and consumer protection may also be one of those.

Cut your losses, and forget it, would be my advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Thanks for the opinions, glad I came here even if the news wasn't great :( Will tell the folks tomorrow then I suppose

there was a thing on the radio recently about a european group for such cases as yours. mainly it was for internet shopping and such from europe only but im sure your will apply as the EU has a 2 year guarentee in place.

contact the consumer association and mention the europe wide comsuner agency might help you a bit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭DOS

Samsung have a terrible customer care setup. They keep loosing call logs etc... I wouldn't waste time or effort on them. Next time spend your money on a good Canon or even JVC. These guys know how to make stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Isn't there a European SCC now? Would that cover it?

Advertisement