Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrade gone wrong... some help needed

Options
  • 16-04-2009 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

greetings

As the title says I was doing an upgrade to my PC and now the computer is not booting properly... It boots up then gets to a point and shuts down. This point isn't the same every time. Basically Im running on the theory that the CPU gets too hot and then shuts down. The boot gets further the longer you leave the PC idle (the cooler it gets).

The upgrade I was doing was installing new RAM and some hard disks to set up a RAID array (never got that far) have removed everything new from the system. While I was in there I also decided to take of the fan and heatsink to clen them as they were dusty this is where I think the problem lies but I'm running out of Ideas as to how to fix it.

Any help problem solving this potentially expensive paper weight would be greatly appreciated

EDIT: so its been running for about 30 minutes... just in the bios. The Bios has a temperature gauge it basically craps out at 110 its been solid in the 90's for about 30 minutes.

these teperatures are ludicrous right? Current CPU temp 100 degrees or could anyone tell me what that temperature is?

Mobo gigabyte ds4
    cpu e6600 stock cooling

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yes they are cut off high. What has probably happened is

1) lack of thermal compound.
    2) cooler not seated properly (most likely).
    3) combination of both.

When you put the cooler back in, did you realign the push pins correctly and hear each one click in when you refitted it? If you took it off, you should also clean the base/cpu and apply more thermal paste, though not doing so would not result in those sort of extreme temperatures.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

that sounds like the seating on the fan more than anything else yeah. if the cpu is new, there should be compound on it. Just reseat the fan to be sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭ColonelCarnage

+ 1

Mind with temps of 100 it sounds like your PC should have exploded fantastically by now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

the heat sink is seated correctly the odd thing is that the cpu shouldve been running colder not hotter. Im off to buy some thermal paste today. Ive never bothered reapplying it before I can't wait to see what difference it makes.

Ironically laast part of the upgrde was an overclock... dont thisk that'll be happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It really couldn't be seated properly at those temps. In fact, one of the most common causes of overheating with that push-pin design happens when people remove the cooler and don't re-insert it correctly. If 2/3 pins are in correctly, the cooler with give the appearance and even feel of being on correctly, but even a tiny lack of contact indistinguishable to your eye can mean disaster.

Unless you scraped all the paste off, removing a cooler and leaving the same paste on, and assuming you re-seated it correctly, temps would rise but no-where near 100c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

The heat sink is seated correctly! I ran coretemp last night... within the bios it was giving me temperatures between 80-90, core temp was giving me low 50's.

I didn't have to reseat the fan again... after leaving it a few hours last night I got windows installed then left it.

Booted up the computer (12.15) without changing anything it's now core 0 36 degrees core 1 39 degrees. This is more than a little unusual.

Can anyone think of another reason why this would be the case? Leaving it to cool for 12 odd hours made a substantial difference. Running stress test at the minute

Advertisement