Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a US SATNAV and then bringing it home

• 16-04-2009 5:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am taking a roadtrip in the US this Summer but adding a SATNAV to the car rental seems to increase the price by almost one third. Does anyone know if I bought a SATNAV over in the US to use on roadtrip can I then bring it back here and use it in Ireland (assuming I would have to download Eruopean maps and all sorts)/

All advice welcome!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭deckstunt

My friend bought a Garmin Sat Nav in the States and brought it home and it works fine. His came with US and European maps. Do you mean is there some potential hardware snag that may catch you out if you buy in the states (like electricity voltage differences etc)? An idea on how to cut the cost of the Sat Nav: Have you considered OpenStreetMap.org as a source for free mapping. The States is well mapped. As maps can be expensive a way to save some cash would be to buy the sat nav with european maps and then supplement that with the free OpenStreetMap.org map of the USA for your holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 wallyworld

There should be no problems with Garmins as a general matter (of course, research the model just to make sure).

I did the same thing a couple of years back and got a Garmin with US/European maps. The unit has worked fine in both US and Europe and even came with electrical adapters to allow you to plug-in the charger in most places around the world. It was truly designed to be a transportable device.

Probably best to get a model with both US/European maps pre-installed, as it can be expensive to buy the maps afterwards.

Advertisement