Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giottos Tripod, opinions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

My opinion? There very well built and very expensive.

Friend has one and its very big and solid, so solid that you could sit on the top without any problems (well almost)

I personally dont like ball heads but they serve a purpose but not mine.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Its slightly cheaper here with a better head:
    http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Tripods/Giottos/Giotto%27s-MTL9351B-Tripod-%2B-MH5011-3-Way-Tripod-Head

I like manfrotto tripods as they're among the lightest and have a good rep. Easy to carry around and such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

Its slightly cheaper here with a better head:
    http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Tripods/Giottos/Giotto%27s-MTL9351B-Tripod-%2B-MH5011-3-Way-Tripod-Head

I like manfrotto tripods as they're among the lightest and have a good rep. Easy to carry around and such.

They won't post to Ireland tho if the item is over 0.4Kgs as I found out last week when ordering a monopod :(

So much for the "free delivery on everything" statement :rolleyes: & I even emailed them to see if I could pay the postage & was told that it is not an option which is a pity as they are very good on price

Aah, that kinda sucks...
    Did you check out Gunne's store on wexford street?
    They've got very good prices and will probably cost you the same if you order the tripod online with the postage charges and all...
    I got my Manfrotto 190XPROB from there for about €150.

I'm in the real capital Cork :D

I'm considering these also & shipping is less than £14 which isn't bad as I want to get a few other bits & pieces from there also :) Now if only the exchange rate would improve again :pac:
    http://www.fotosense.co.uk/manfrotto-190xprob-pro-tripod-black-new-model.html
    or
    http://www.fotosense.co.uk/manfrotto-190xprob-pro-tripod-black-804rc2-3-way-head.html

• Advertisement

Ah, should have had noticed you live down in cork... =p

That looks like a decent deal if they aren't ripping you off with the postage charges.
    That tripod rocks, its really light, easy to use and carry around. Looks pretty slick too...
    While that head looks pretty good too. Gonna be better than those little ball heads which don't have much precision imo.

Looks like pound is working its way back up... its good i bought my camera when the pound was at its lowest. Absolute bargain!

So many choices, decisions, decisions :confused:

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Have the same combo thats on the fotosense link given there, nice setup and very sturdy. I would recommend the manfrotto bag listed underneath on the page aswell as its quite tidy for storing and transporting. Considerably cheaper too than what I paid for it on ebay roughly 2 years ago!

Yeah, I'm now leaning towards the Manfrotto 190XPROB with the 3 way head :) I probably won't use it much but the way I look at it is if I get I decent tripod & head now I'll never need another one :D

Go for it mate. It looks like a good deal. And that head is gonna be much better than those little ball heads. They're a lot more precise and more controlled.
    I don't use my tripod much either but they're very handy if you wanna take proper long exposure shots (better than placing your camera on a rock and hoping for the best!) or for use in a studio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Oh, and have a look at SLIK too - I use the 330dx (got it second hand for 50 euro). Solid as a rock when loaded with my little camera and all its accessories (D40, 55-200, SB600 flash) - can probably handle a lot more weight than that too.

Ergonomics are very important! - the SLIK has foam grips for when you're out in freezing weather and don't want to glue yourself to your tripod. And the centre column revereses too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Aah, that kinda sucks...
    Did you check out Gunne's store on wexford street?
    They've got very good prices and will probably cost you the same if you order the tripod online with the postage charges and all...
    I got my Manfrotto 190XPROB from there for about €150.

+1 for gunne's. bought a manfroto 055xPROB tripod and the 322RC2 head off Kathy in there about a year ago. its a bit heavy but i'm very happy with it i must say - not sure what the on-line prices are (i never looked) but I think i paid about 330 euro. fantastic people working there. Have bought my filters and little bits and bobs and one or two of my cheaper lenses off them but unfortunatley i couldn't justify buying my last camera and few lenses there. would have loved to give them the money.

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Oh, and have a look at SLIK too - I use the 330dx (got it second hand for 50 euro). Solid as a rock when loaded with my little camera and all its accessories (D40, 55-200, SB600 flash) - can probably handle a lot more weight than that too.

Ergonomics are very important! - the SLIK has foam grips for when you're out in freezing weather and don't want to glue yourself to your tripod. And the centre column revereses too.

I had a quick look at some SLIK tripods in a shop but the cheapest one was €100 & the next one up was €150 inc a 3 way head so the Manfrotto 190XPROB inc 3 way head seems like a good deal & it also has the foam grips.
    I'd like to see one in the metal before ordering tho, hopefully next week :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Lagging as used in plumbing can often be used to solve the foam on the tripod legs issue.

It bothers some people more than others. If I find it cold I use gloves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Bubble wrap I heard is good too. (Air is a great insulator!)

Oh and OP, I managed to use my dinky little 5 euro tripod for quite a while before moving onto the "ultra-expensive" ;) 50 euro one. Keep an eye out on adverts.ie and you might get lucky!

Had a look on adverts alright & nothing there

Just get the manfrotto tripod. You can keep it for the rest of your life and you won't regret it!

Your probably right, tho now I've a €300 wish list now at fotosense :eek:

All I wanted to begin with was a few faster SDHC memory cards & a monopod, now I've added a quick release head for the monopod & a tripod :pac:

I don't know how much difference a faster SD card would make. I've got a basic 4gb SD card and its more than enough for me. I just take pics, throw away the crap ones and then transfer the good ones onto my laptop.
    And i don't see the point of a monopod. Sure its easier to carry and such but its better to develop a steady hand imo and the manfrotto tripod is really light and pretty compact so it really shouldn't be much of a problem carrying it around.

So i say save your money and just get the tripod. Thats what you'll mostly need. Monopod is useless when it comes to long exposure shots and setting up good scenes.

I've a Nikon D90 & the new Sandisk SDHC Extreme III 30MB/s version is optimised for the D90 (AFAIK the D90 is the only camera currently capable of using this write speed ) I want the extra speed for sports photography as when shooting in RAW the write speed & buffer is currently limiting the FPS after a few shots :(

I'll probably end up using the monopod a lot more than the tripod especially for kayaking & surf photography ( I can hand hold for pics with the 70-300VR lens but it's too heavy when using the video mode & looking at the LCD especially on windy days )

I want the tripod to experiment with long exposure shots & possible some HDR at some point :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

there is a manfrotto going cheap on adverts right now
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=108656&cat=51

Alfie1 wrote: »
    I've a Nikon D90 & the new Sandisk SDHC Extreme III 30MB/s version is optimised for the D90 (AFAIK the D90 is the only camera currently capable of using this write speed ) I want the extra speed for sports photography as when shooting in RAW the write speed & buffer is currently limiting the FPS after a few shots :(

I'll probably end up using the monopod a lot more than the tripod especially for kayaking & surf photography ( I can hand hold for pics with the 70-300VR lens but it's too heavy when using the video mode & looking at the LCD especially on windy days )

I want the tripod to experiment with long exposure shots & possible some HDR at some point :)
    Aah, then... i see your point.

I don't really do any action photography so i was thinking on my terms... my bad.. sorry!:p

Yeah, then i'ld say you'ld need a monopod more than the tripod and i'm really not sure how much advantage a faster HD card might give you though it should give you a fair some.

And for the long exposure shots and HDR, you could always use a rock or a ledge as i usually do! :pac:

Any links for where I might get a good deal on a rock or a ledge :D postage could be a bit of an issue tho :pac:

Advertisement