Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ever listen to FM104 / Spin and they play the same tune at the exact same time?

• 16-04-2009 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, new member here.

What's the deal with this?

The first time this happened I figured, hey - coincidence - But there have been at least 4 other occasions where it has happened.

I'll reiterate, the same song is playing in sync on both stations.

Any of you experienced this? Is there any reason for this, or is it indeed coincidence?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

I think the real question here is why anyone would listen to 2 stations at the same time...?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

So, Never sat in your car flicking through stations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Happened a good few times to me, hear a song come on change to the next preset and bam same song the same time. Happened once that 98fm, Spin and Today FM were all playing the same song and thought it was funny, but if you think about it they don't exactly have huge playlists at those stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Let me guess, was it Rihanna/Lady Gaga/The Script/Katy Perry/Chris Brown/The Killers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Let me guess, was it Rihanna/Lady Gaga/The Script/Katy Perry/Chris Brown/The Killers?

Thats what those 2 stations always play but I prefer the O' Brien group stations because they put their playlists online.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Err...Spin are part of the 'O'Brien group'.

Why would ya want your entire playlist online? Seems pretty stupid to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 jimmytwoflutes

Not stupid at all, with more and more stations using facilities like catch, listeners can instantly find out the name of what may be their favourite song. Why spends loads on a new website and then not tell anyone what music you are playing. Its just like getting a new playout system and not using it properly cos youre scared of learning new technology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

vard wrote: »

The first time this happened I figured, hey - coincidence - But there have been at least 4 other occasions where it has happened.

Any of you experienced this? Is there any reason for this, or is it indeed coincidence?

No and No

Not stupid at all, with more and more stations using facilities like catch, listeners can instantly find out the name of what may be their favourite song. .

Yeh, Catch isn't putting your whole playlist online for anyone (not just listeners) to look at. It's a song at a time, you'd want to be fairly sad sitting down writing out every song to use it in the manner I'm getting at. Maybe that idea went over your head Jimmy.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Manimal

Big Balls wrote: »
    Yeh, Catch isn't putting your whole playlist online for anyone (not just listeners) to look at. It's a song at a time, you'd want to be fairly sad sitting down writing out every song to use it in the manner I'm getting at. Maybe that idea went over your head Jimmy.

its also way too easy for rival stations to steal your playlist - all they have to do is view your website. They don't even have to get work experience students to write down all the songs they way they used to! I'm sure FM104 are thanking communicorp for posting their music logs - makes it easier for them to copy!!! Not the brightest idea to have come from the Malt House.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Manimal wrote: »
    its also way too easy for rival stations to steal your playlist - all they have to do is view your website. They don't even have to get work experience students to write down all the songs they way they used to! I'm sure FM104 are thanking communicorp for posting their music logs - makes it easier for them to copy!!! Not the brightest idea to have come from the Malt House.

FM 104 play the same stuff over and over anyway so its easy to do a playlist and they dont need to copy 98's playlist aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I notice that on Saturday nights after 6pm the two iRadio stations put on the same dance mix tape only with different radio jingles between transistions (music is i/it's a radio station)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 jimmytwoflutes

Big Balls wrote: »
    you'd want to be fairly sad sitting down writing out every song to use it in the manner I'm getting at. .

Oh so they stop the monitoring days in your place then? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Culture2007

I don't understand the whole secrecy about hiding your playlists. Can't stations get logs of other station's music from Nielsen anyway?

Personally I think it's good for a station to show the music on it's playlist through it's website. Considering most listeners tune into a station to hear the songs being played, why wouldn't you want to inform them of what you're playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Yes and Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

It's more a chart of new songs more than anything that Nielson can show you. So "Girls Aloud - Untouchable... stations playing.. Clare FM, Beat etc"..and number of spins it's had that week.

Manimal I can safely say I have never, ever heard a song on 98 and said oh we must copy that. If you wish to question me on that, reply using your real name. :D

When 104 gets Catch in a few weeks however, it won't be displaying a backlist of our biggest songs, why would the No.1 station let everyone else know what they're playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Manimal

MarkN wrote: »
    It's more a chart of new songs more than anything that Nielson can show you. So "Girls Aloud - Untouchable... stations playing.. Clare FM, Beat etc"..and number of spins it's had that week.

Manimal I can safely say I have never, ever heard a song on 98 and said oh we must copy that. If you wish to question me on that, reply using your real name. :D

When 104 gets Catch in a few weeks however, it won't be displaying a backlist of our biggest songs, why would the No.1 station let everyone else know what they're playing?

Fair play to you for replying Mark, I wasn't trying to suggest that you would be ripping off the Communicorp stations(I wouldn't see the point in that either!!) , but as you yourself acknowleged there you won't be putting up your own backlist I was pointing out that flaw with the 'catch' sites is that it can leave up too much information for other stations to look at and that situation could arise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

I thought you meant it like that alright but I suppose there's plenty of food for thought from 98s list for other stations, perhaps out of Dublin, to see what is working.

I've been 'brought up' in work to guard certain things with your life about the way things work and I guess music is a big part of that, I don't see why anyone would want that up there for public consumption. A listener would only want Catch for the simple purpose of "oh there's a song I like, I must log on or text and see what it's called" so by showing the 'now playing' that's the listener catered for.. now I can see that they might also think, damn I heard a song at 9.05 this morning on breakfast now what was it called but on a station like a commercial, they'll hear it again and can find out.

Maybe I'm too paranoid, I don't even like other UTV stations knowing anything about our playlist. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

flazio wrote: »
    I notice that on Saturday nights after 6pm the two iRadio stations put on the same dance mix tape only with different radio jingles between transistions (music is i/it's a radio station)

I was listening to a very clearly DJed dance show on i105107 last night (Saturday) at 11pm...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Happened To Me Lots Of Times That Stupid Lad Gaga Song!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

MYOB wrote: »
    I was listening to a very clearly DJed dance show on i105107 last night (Saturday) at 11pm...
    I wasn't suggesting the ENTIRE Saturday night schedule is pre recorded and played at the same time on the two iRadio stations, I was just saying that just after 6pm on more then one occasion I heard a Dance mix that was the same songs playing into each other with two different jingles between transitions.
    I'm not complaining about it either, it was actually quite cool to listen to a dance mix I picked up on the road in Kinnegad all the way to Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Happened To Me Lots Of Times That Stupid Lad Gaga Song!!!!!

Yesterday it was on 104, Spin and 2fm at the same time.

Thought I was in a horror film running away from a big strangely dress singing monster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭MaltHouse Mouse

Or maybe it is just one big conspiracy theory! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

FM104/98FM and Spin all use a short looping play list. 98 is the worst though. This station is on fairly loudly in work all day and listening to it is like shooting yourself repeatedly in the face.

The gleeful D4 presenters, the bloody cash call every hour, mention of the "world famous" cash call six times an hour, the stupid "super cool" voices that say "Dublin's 98" every ad break and the SAME TEN SONGS OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER.

I really, really hate 98FM. It is radio for morons.

So if FM104 has a similar policy they probably play the same songs at the same times several times a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I think the impression of a "short looping playlist" comes from listening in the daytime and not constantly to one station. Even on Spin, which I'd always have thought to be the worst for a small A-list, you here some completely off the wall tracks. I got in the car this morning to a Goldie Looking Chain song, for instance.

Not having worked in Irish commercial radio I don't know how heavily playlisted stations are; but we do not appear to be as bad as the UK (where it seems you actually DO get the same 9 songs every hour in a different order, with a tenth random one for good measure). Yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Celebrity mania

This evening, driving home, I turned on the radio; I usually avoid it - unless the dreadful Spin 103.8 is playing their “10 hits in a row” and I don’t have to listen to their buttery, Celtic kitten accents - but The Knife just isn’t that relaxing after a hard day at the office (spent falling in love with the new Jaguar XFR and speculating about what kind of car a man at the office drives; he was offended at the insinuation that he might drive a Ford, but he said his own vehicle is “not dissimilar” to the new Focus “in terms of performance”. The mind boggles) and I was hoping for some Journey or, at the very least, a bit of Coldplay to soothe the elevator-lover in me.
    But alas, no - my car radio, which has a mind of its own that is usually entirely lovable and quite often directs me toward the hidden gem of East Coast FM, where they play good music and tend not to talk so much (perhaps due to the Wexford accent. . . but I digress), decided to boycott FM104 and the newly-branded Dublin’s 98 (am I the only one irked by this?) which, although hardly radio gold, may at least have provided some relief from the cloying tones of Brian and Clare on whatever chart Spin 103.8 professed to be championing.
    And so there I was, stuck between 2FM and a hard place. I chose 2FM, not because of my affinity with it or my strong political views about the restructuring of Rick O’Shea’s show, but because Rihanna’s Live Your Life was playing in the background, which I enjoy (less for the sentiment and more for that criminal, TI, whose boyish charm is not entirely objectionable). Then they turned to the phones. Oh, the phones! And, being as I was in the process of turning right with my wing mirror in the wrong position (every day when I return to my car it has moved, slightly, almost imperceptibly - or, at least until I need to turn right and realise that I can see nothing) I was unable to change the station. And it went, to quote the Reverend Run, a little somethin’ like this:
    Martina just texted in to request a song and, can I just say, Martina, I salute you! She’s at home with the two little lads in bed and the big lad out at work and she’s doing the ironing with 2FM on the radio, and, for her, Kings of Leon!
    Celebrities Photos

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Advertisement