Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kerisik (toasted coconut)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Desiccated coconut will be fine - as it is dry fried to get it toasty, starting with a dry product would be preferable. It might be a little grainy in the finished dish, give it a whizz in a blender first to futher break down the flakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I thought it would be fine too, though one site I checked said it should be fresh and that you might get frozen fresh coconut.

This one says canned which could still be moist

http://happyhomemaker88.wordpress.com/2008/10/21/how-to-make-kerisik-toasted-cocunut-for-rendangs-dry-curries/
    (You can use canned dessicated coconut if fresh ones are not available in your area, but the cooking time will be shortened for this)

This site says http://www.mowformedia.com/client/idamansuri.com/kerisik.php
    Kerisik is made from toasted dessicated coconut and processed using high end technology. Dessicated coconut is toasted and processed with emulsifier method.

Most asian shops sell coconuts all year round. I would have the wok down low for fear of burning too quickly, I thought it would be better done in an oven.

I love coconut, there is a philipino shop in dun laoghaire oppostie walter pub with loads of different coconut products.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

After reading the OPs question I went and bought a kilo of beef shin. The beef rendang has been cooking for about three and a half hours and just getting to the stage where it splits (all water gone) and the meat and solids from the sauce fry in the oil giving it that dark colour.

Jasmine rice and braised bok choy for sides.

Advertisement