Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnancy: Please dont jump down my throat!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Ciks

Yeah, the birth thing is what scares most people I think. Yet i'd love a natural birth (if ever I got to that point) - obviously I've been brainwashed!
    I'd probably be gasping for an epidural 20 minutes in :P
    ... Seems funny that people look down their noses at women who opt for pain relief during labour. I mean, would they sneer at someone wanting a shot before having, say, a tooth removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Ciks wrote: »
    Yeah, the birth thing is what scares most people I think. Yet i'd love a natural birth (if ever I got to that point) - obviously I've been brainwashed!
    I'd probably be gasping for an epidural 20 minutes in :P
    ... Seems funny that people look down their noses at women who opt for pain relief during labour. I mean, would they sneer at someone wanting a shot before having, say, a tooth removed?

Oh I think if I do it I'll be yelling for the pain relief before it starts :D

Hehehe, not a bad idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I'm even scared of the epidural. I don't want kids for the forseeable future anyway, so I'm not even thinking about it.

This thread has freaked me outthough - but i'm glad I'm not the only person scared by pregnancy.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I don't know why it's always the horror stories you hear...:confused:
    Anyway, just to let you all know it's not always THAT bad. My 2 were relatively easy and quick. Painful yes but nothing I couldn't handle.
    Just so you know....

• Advertisement

I'm grand with the whole pregnancy thing.
    It is the idea of childbirth, that makes me queasy.
    And consequently nobody but nobody is allowed to share gory details with me. Ever. It is bad enough that I discovered the maternity pad section in tesco. :mad:
    I aim to be taken completely unawares by the other horrors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I think a healthy fear of pregnancy & birth is quite common. The first thing I did on finding out I was pregnant was burst into tears, absolutely horrified. I didn't enjoy pregnancy at all so even those that who half want to get pregnant are not skipping through meadows of pastel & blooming gorgeously! :)

Dinkie wrote: »
    I'm even scared of the epidural.

Hehehe, this reminds me of Kim in Scrubs:

"I hate pain so much I’m hoping there’s a pill you can give me so that getting the epidural itself won’t hurt."

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭2SWEET

When i found out i was pregnant on my first child i was terrified of the whole experience ahead, including the thought of having something growing inside, Thankfully for me it didn't last!! It was like the hormones did take over and once i got to 12 weeks and was over the morning sickness i enjoyed every minute of it!!
    I'm now on my 3rd pregnancy and still enjoying knowing that there is a prefect little person growing inside of me, it's the best feeling in the world!!
    The best advice i've ever been giving by another mother,was 10 yrs ago during my first pregnancy, she was a total stranger to me, a customer in the cafe i was workin in.. all she said to me was every woman is different and so every pregnancy is different, trust your own instincts and don't listen to the horror stories, it's all worth it when you finally get to hold your baby and you haven't really ever loved someone until that moment!! It's stayed with me to this day and during all 3 of my pregnancies i remembered her words!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

For my first pregnancy i spent the whole nine months getting ready for a "labour" - not a baby - i was so consumed with what was ahead of me. Im now pregnant with my second and i couldn't give a continental !!! Drugs are wonderful - epidural all the way!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It's just hard to know I suppose.

Two women I know who vowed never to have children and weren't big fans of them... and a bit scared of them... are the ultimate earth mothers now. Don't think my cousin was too crazy about having children either but she'll be having baby number 2 soon and seems pretty darn chuffed about the prospect.

Advertisement