Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texting Problem.

• 16-04-2009 7:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭

I was hoping someone could help me with a texting problem. I'm on the O2 network.
    My friend lives in Northern Ireland. I can send her a ordinary text message with no problems, but if I want to send her a picture text message - it won't send. I don't know enough about this to understand why the picture won't send, yet the ordinary text does.
    Is there a simple solution here. Do I need to set up something especially for sending pictures by texts to the North.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Texts are different than MMS. MMS are sent over a data connection. Have you tried sending an mms to anyone even down here? When you send to NI is it giving you an error, or is the person just not receiving them?

It could be your settings in your phone but easy enough to fix, but try sending one to roi first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

O2 don't support MMS to non-Irish mobile numbers. This is probably why.

I would suggest setting up email on your handset and on the other persons and using that as a possible alternative (check out the data rates).

Random wrote: »
    O2 don't support MMS to non-Irish mobile numbers. This is probably why.

But if its a irish number she can still get it being abroad. Need op to confirm

Davy wrote: »
    But if its a irish number she can still get it being abroad. Need op to confirm
    Sorry, you're right there. I'm assuming it's a UK mobile number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Graceland

Texts are different than MMS. MMS are sent over a data connection. Have you tried sending an mms to anyone even down here? When you send to NI is it giving you an error, or is the person just not receiving them?

It could be your settings in your phone but easy enough to fix, but try sending one to roi first.

Yes I do send picture texts a lot in the Republic and I have no problem with them.
    When I send to NI, it gives me an error message "failed unknown network error".
    Is there a setting on my phone that I could change to sort this out. It would be great if there was.

• Advertisement

I'm assuming it's a UK mobile number.

The mobile I'm texting is a Northern Ireland phone number. Do O2 not support picture texting, except only to Irish mobiles?

Graceland wrote: »
    The mobile I'm texting is a Northern Ireland phone number. Do O2 not support picture texting, except only to Irish mobiles?
    That's correct. O2 only support* MMS to Irish mobiles.

*while it may work randomly to non-Irish mobiles it's not supported by O2 and if it doesn't work then that's it, it just doesn't work.

*while it may work randomly to non-Irish mobiles it's not supported by O2 and if it doesn't work then that's it, it just doesn't work.

Well that's news to me - Do you know if other networks are the same, or is it just O2.
    I just presumed that once you could send a text, that you could also send MMS as well.
    You learn something new everyday, lol.

Graceland wrote: »
    Well that's news to me - Do you know if other networks are the same, or is it just O2.
    I just presumed that once you could send a text, that you could also send MMS as well.
    You learn something new everyday, lol.
    Meteor - don't support it.
    Tesco - unsure, but assume they don't as they're on the O2 network and I'm assuming they share a lot of their agreements.
    3 - unsure.
    Vodafone - I think they support it but I can't stand their website.

Tesco - unsure, but assume they don't as they're on the O2 network and I'm assuming they share a lot of their agreements.
    3 - unsure.

It's the first time I ever sent a picture text to NI - never thought I wouldn't be able to, I just thought it would be a matter of paying extra.
    Thanks for all your help. It's good to know these things, instead of thinking there is something wrong with the phone, lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

you can send mms to 3 and t-mobile in the uk/ni from an irish 3 phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

3 - unsure.

You can send MMS to english numbers on vodafone yes:)

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    You can send MMS to english numbers on vodafone yes:)

Good to know,, but i have to back up what random said,,, i cant stand their website either. Its my biggest hate with 087

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Good to know,, but i have to back up what random said,,, i cant stand their website either. Its my biggest hate with 087

couldnt agree with you more!

Yes cause i send mms to a uk number every week and it works fine, they just wont guarantee it.

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    couldnt agree with you more!

Good to know :pac:

;)

Advertisement