Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weed ID

Options
  • 16-04-2009 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Good evening,

Could somebody please ID this weed for me? It seems quite resistant:mad:

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Looks like Fireweed, does it have pink flowers in tall spikes? Roundup should control it but keep an eye on it as it can spread very quickly. Cut off flower heads before they seed, digging is not a realistic option.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

bmaxi got it spot on.
    With digging and pulling the weed tends to regrow, however stay at this for a few sessions and you may break the back of it.
    it can be quite resistant to roundup though as it has a slightly waxy barrier on the leaf surface. I have seen it rise again after a roundup application, so again a few sessions may be needed.

Have had good results with a herbicide called "Basta" (appropriately named for this weed).

edit: forgot to mention we call the weed willow-herb here in the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jim from Cork

This weed doesn’t seem to grow too big. It seems to like the edges of my driveway.

I wouldn’t be much of a gardener myself… most of my weed control is done from a Knapsack! This particular chappie seems resistant to both Roundup and Simazine… I’ll give Basta a try.

Thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Pull them out before they set seed - they are shallow rooted and come out very easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Minder wrote: »
    Pull them out before they set seed - they are shallow rooted and come out very easily.

Fireweed is like Oxalis and other creeping rhizomes. You only think you've got the root.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Maybe that's why I am pulling them out year after year?:)

Advertisement