Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Independent college add

Options
  • 16-04-2009 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

A few days ago the Irish Independent had an add for some college in Wales saying something about it was only 90mins from Dublin, you could do a law degree and needed alot less points! And something about getting a grant.

Anyway does anyone know what college it was, as I cant find the paper?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Would you really commute to Wales??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭r14

This is probably the degree they're talking about.

It's the undergrad degree that Portobello offer i.e. the Portobello degree is actually awarded by the University of Wales.

You'd really need to do your research if you decided to go down this route. I'm not sure if it's a recognised degree for the bar so if you wanted to become a barrister you'd still have to sit their two year diploma.

Any degree will allow you to sit the exams to become a solicitor but bear in mind in Wales you will be studying the law of England and Wales, not Irish law. There are enough differences to make it difficult. While it may take a lot less points bear in mind that future employers will see straight through this. It's already next to impossible to get a job as a solicitor and doing a foreign law degree instead of a well recognised Irish one will not help.

If you just want to study law go for it. If you want to work in law in Ireland avoid like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

was it bangor university in north wales? they do a fair few law degrees. you may as well check out england if you are checking wales. same grant system i think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

pathway33 wrote: »
    was it bangor university in north wales? they do a fair few law degrees. you may as well check out england if you are checking wales. same grant system i think

yeah your definetly right, if your going to the bother to go to wales, then england would be a better choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 paperglue1234

yes its definately bangor university. i considered doing it too. it was offered at 355 points i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

The commute would grand, 99mins on the HSS, then drive for a while :)

International commuting for college FTW

Advertisement