Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

felt on roof of workshop?

Options
  • 16-04-2009 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

hi need some advice lm putting a roof on a shed at the moment and a neighbour suggested to me that l should felt same as he says it will elimate condesation and body got any suggestions what have they done in there work shops?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

You mean felt as a roof covering? ie the heavy guage torch on felt that you can paint etc, or using the lighter felt under a corrugated roof? If the latter then that is what the felt is for, to stop condensation dripping off the corrugated iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭cycling is fun

If the latter then that is what the felt is for, to stop condensation dripping off the corrugated iron.
    yes the above is correct thanks for the quick reply its to stop condensation dripping off the corrugated iron. is it really an issue? never paid much attention before
    again thanks for the quick reply

To be honest I'm not sure if you can actually get felt anymore, as such, I heard it was done away with, but I'm not sure. I'm not sure what the name on it was, or what guage it is etc. There is a new membrane that you can get now in hardware stores, building providers etc. Its almost like cloths, but doesnt let water through and its breathable.

I put a corrugated iron roof on a workshop extension recently and used this new stuff, its easier to work with than felt anyway, easier to manage!

You'll need this felt/membrane alright, it'll prevent drips and seal the shop a little more from draughts, cold etc. You'll need a roll of chicken wire too, you'll have to lay that down on your rafters first, then the felt and finally the galvanise sheeting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

you can still it alright im doing a job with it at the moment. its called mineral felt. sheet the roof with 3/4" structural plywood, paint it with the bitchumen primer that comes with the felt and roll out the felt. when the primer is wet the felt sticks to it and then double fix it with felt nails. let the felt run down into the gutter aswell just to take all the water.

ok thanks for the reply will speak to my roofer tomorrow and see if we can do this thanks for your reply and help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭hop2it

if you haven't all ready got the corregated iron yet i you suggest anti drip cladding it,s a great job no need for chicken wire with it nice and tidy

as it happens l have not got the metal yet as a roofer suggested l wait till shed was roofed so l could know for sure what length to get heard the non drip stuff is expensive though

cork1 wrote: »
    you can still it alright im doing a job with it at the moment. its called mineral felt. sheet the roof with 3/4" structural plywood, paint it with the bitchumen primer that comes with the felt and roll out the felt. when the primer is wet the felt sticks to it and then double fix it with felt nails. let the felt run down into the gutter aswell just to take all the water.

Isnt mineral felt the heavier guage stuff with like the little pebbles in it? I think the OP is going with a corrogated roof and looking to put a lighter felt under it as protection against condensation.

well the battons have been put on today and the roofers are gone, l did not put felt on so it looks like its non drip sheeting or nothing will have to see what cost is before ldecide shed is 64 feet long 12 feet of this will be a work shop so am concerned more about this than the other part, which will hold a diesel tank turf and maybe coal as well from talking to the builders they think it should be ok without felt as its an old stone shed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

The felt under the corrugated sheeting is a good idea to prevent condensation alright, but it is a fire risk. I'd prefer the breathable membrane option- Tyvek or any of those would do a good job.

• Advertisement

Thanks to everybody how offered there advice regarding putting felt on my roof got more info here than l did on the diy forum went with non drip in the end and the roof was finally fitted 2day thanks again

Advertisement