Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Model shoot picts

• 16-04-2009 8:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭

I had a really fun photo shoot the other evening. I used The Light Exchange studio.

The fun - two beautiful female models, and another fun photographer. A learning and sharing experience. Thanks to smelltheglove for coming along and bringing her beautiful friend.

Anyway, here are 4 images of Amie.

3447671321_86fd586fd0.jpg

3447672029_0882d179aa.jpg

3447670435_a2a9fc748a.jpg

3448483996_4603861da8.jpg

While I was happy with many results, I certainly came to realise I've a lot to learn about studio shoots and how to play with the lights.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Well very different to sports Paul - 3rd would be my favourite. Nice work.

The guitar shot has a reflection on the body of the guitar (smelltheglove holding a light perhaps?)

Did you find the light exchange a good studio / well equipped / easy to deal with?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

Paulw wrote: »
    I had a really fun photo shoot the other evening. I used The Light Exchange studio.

can you put the photos of the models on another site, I can't see them cause flicker is banned here in Dubai

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

mayotom wrote: »
    can you put the photos of the models on another site, I can't see them cause flicker is banned here in Dubai

Images also on my Pix.ie account
    AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Well very different to sports Paul - 3rd would be my favourite. Nice work.

The guitar shot has a reflection on the body of the guitar (smelltheglove holding a light perhaps?)

Did you find the light exchange a good studio / well equipped / easy to deal with?

Yeah, very different but as much fun.

I can see a reflection in the guitar, but at 100% magnification, it's not a person, but the reflection of the fan used to have fun with her hair.

Now, as for the Light Exchange studio - brilliant to deal with, very helpful and accomodating. The studio has good lights (4 strobes). There are no props, so it's a case of bring your own. The area is small enough, but enough to do what I needed. I'd certainly use it again, and their evening prices are great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

3rd one is really nice Paul, the fall off in light really works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Nice shots Paul. Looks like yez had a good time.

Of the four, the third one does it for me. Seems the flash sync speed has darkened the bottom of it, otherwise, a very nice shot. The shadows in the other three are a little bit distracting. I like the pose in the forth image, though the colour balance seems a little off.

• Advertisement

As I said, I've a lot to learn about using studio lights. I need more practice.

As for the flash sync, that was actually somewhat intentional. I was trying something new.

Thanks for the comments guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

Great shots Paul, looks like you all had a fun day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Loving Pauls pics, havent gotten to even look at mine due to laptop chaos but we did have a great time. The guitar used was also used on my last shoot with Amie and I had to work on the reflection in pp, I like that guitar as a prop though.

And yep that is a fan in the reflection. It was great fun, we took turns holding the fan, Paul is a great photographer and has amazing equipment of which I am very very jealous. The light exchange is the first studio I've been to, well proper studio, and it does what it says on the tin, decent enough space, held 5 of us comfortably, 2 models, 2 photogs and one mammy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Well done Paul, some great images there. This is one thing I love about boards, is being able to see people's work and gain tips from their experience. The simple thing of bringing in a fan as a prop aid, the guitar for a prop, even stools and chairs umbrellas, hats - they all help to create an image. That's where Rachels experience comes in ( as well as for the lighting;)).

Shot 3 would def be a favourite with no. 1 being a very close second.

I'm surprised at Rachel for pic 3 :eek: (ask Kev). A guitar strap / clip would have been better used on the guitar to hold it against the model, as against her right hand, which seems slightly flat and contorted from holding the body. A more realistic chord would also have added to the image. A C or G would be a nicer chord to portray, while an F would give a sexier image of your models fingers. Then again that could be me just been finikety.

Overall well done Paul / Rach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Great shots Paul, some of the best (non sports) stuff you have done!!! ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

No. 3 would be my fav. too.
    If the studio is decent, we should arrange a session when I get home.

City-Exile wrote: »
    If the studio is decent, we should arrange a session when I get home.

The other model used is under 18, so haven't posted her picts, but she's also lovely and wonderful to work with. Some really great fun photos of her too.

The studio was fine for our needs. 2 models, 2 photographers, and a cheap evening rate. Any more than that and the place would be crowded.

I'd love another trip to Randalstown though. :D

Oh is randalstown the one you told me about? I'm all set for there and Amie really wants to go too.

Well we have to thank Paul for the fan, great idea, and yes Kev for the guitar! Although he doesnt actually have a strap for it, it would have been handy, he actually cant play, he just looks at the thing:D

I love number 1, I love the way her hair flows and of course number 3 was one of my favourite poses of the day.

I am defo getting to check my pics out today, I dont care if I am up until midnight the suspense is killing me!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

decent enough space, held 45 of us comfortably, 2 models, 2 photogs and one mammy.

45 :eek:
    Must be HUGE!

Were the other 40 fans? ;)

I am looking forward to doing a Studio Level II course soon. It's great to get to manipulate the lights & try different effects. Just need more time. It really flies past when you are in the Studio.

Oh is randalstown the one you told me about? I'm all set for there and Amie really wants to go too.

I am defo getting to check my pics out today, I dont care if I am up until midnight the suspense is killing me!

Hurry up, I'm looking forward to seeing your picts too. :D

Yeah, we'll schedule Randalstown, soon. So, we now have 3 photographers for it, and one model. We should get another model, and arrange it. That'll be a full day out.
    CabanSail wrote: »
    I am looking forward to doing a Studio Level II course soon. It's great to get to manipulate the lights & try different effects. Just need more time. It really flies past when you are in the Studio.

Totally agree about time. We had 3 hours and it just flew by. Every time I use a studio I discover more things I want to try. It's frustrating, but so much fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

If you have room for another one at a studio session, stick me down. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Hehe give it 20 minutes and you'll have 20 people looking to come to the studio session..

(Next in line please! :P )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Paulw wrote: »
    I'd love another trip to Randalstown though. :D

Not in the middle of winter this time though. :D
    I'm actually interested in doing some location shoots.
    Maybe near a waterfall, or on a beach, or something.

Ok, I think 3 photographers is about it. So, myself, Rachel are the two given slots.

We've already got two models (not fully sorted).

Location shoot could be interesting too ... depending on the kind of shoot. LOL. And, depending on what the models also want.

Anyway, we'll discuss this by email ...... but, a studio day is always fun.

3450534110_42e8bdcce3.jpg?v=0

Ok my first upload of Amie and my second picture I have edited.

• Advertisement
Advertisement