Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

futurehope wrote: »
    jank said:
    Care to expand on that?

Well its hardly a model of western society based on economic and political going on's. Is it now?

Then why've they hung around for nearly a hundred years? They could have left in 1922, or earlier. I'd love to know why you think they've stayed so long.

Well they tried their best but had to step in again as NI was unable to rule itself. God bless them
    In what way was it on a par with South Africa?

Google nelson mandela.
    You may be getting somewhere now.

Yes, maybe. Unfortunately in your case many British people feel the same as me!
    Ulster's future has never been more secure - as part of The UK. Check out the opinion polls.

But dont let ignoring other opinion polls stating British peoples opinions change your mindset.

As I said economics will have a bigger say in this matter then all the hot air in the world.

getz wrote: »
    ok you have called the north quote--bigoted sectarian goverment-SOCIETY ,these people are british so thats anglophobia-and the only reason you are posting on the threads is because you think the provence should be under the rule of the republic of ireland despite their right of vote

Some are Irish too;)

Eh, look into the history of the NI government from 1922 to devolution and tell me that they gave equal rights to catholics as well as to protestants.
    Why do you still in this day and age in 2009 do you have nationalist schools as well as unionist schools right next door to each other. Just because I point out some facts doesnt make me an anglophobe mister!

NI is at the moment a sectarian society. Why the **** is there power sharing? Why cant they just vote for the party on the basis of policys rather then national identity? Hmmmmm maybe the penny will drop!

You know there is a huge nationalist population in the north too that call themselves Irish. So, because I call the north a sectarian society it makes me an anglophobe, but if thats the case it makes me anti-irish aswell.:pac:

So I am an Irish anti-Irish anglophobe, living and working in a largely anglo-saxon country. LOL!
    Russia is a pseudo democracy, doesnt make me anti-russian to point that out!:p

Maybe you should get you more and challenge your limited world view.

Oh and please point out where I said we should force NI into a United Ireland regardless of the peoples wishes or please SHUT THE **** UP!

IMO poor attempt of a WUM. So, I would like you to withdraw the remark that I am an anglo-phobe as you have no basis or proof to make such a remark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭futurehope

O'Coonassa wrote: »
    meh Europe has made the Union obsolete, it is dissolving. Scotland will go first. 200 years ago your ancestors despised the Union and had to be bribed into it. Already I see you're being bribed out of it, my taxes are paying towards historic celebrations in London's Derry.

My ancestors? Where did they come from? The only thing that's obsolete is Irish Nationalism - ask your own people, they voted to ditch Ireland's claim to British Ulster didn't they? Mind you they were always a bit luke warm weren't they - "We won't stand idly by...":D:D:D

jank said:
    Most english people I have met dont give a crap about the north.

Fascinating - the opinions of a man/woman who lives on the other side of the world. :rolleyes:
    As a matter of interest why is someone like yourself posting on such a "republican" Irish forum.

I wasn't aware it's a "republican" forum - can you show me where it says that?

Perhaps you can tell me why someone who lives in New Zealand (under The Union Flag with The Queen as his sovereign) posts on an Irish forum? You loved Ireland so much you moved to the other side of the world?:rolleyes:

jank wrote: »
    How are Combat 18 these days. I hear they are actively recruiting.:)

That's original.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

jank said:
    Well they tried their best but had to step in again as NI was unable to rule itself. God bless them

Yes, but they're still there aren't they? Almost a hundred years now. Perhaps your day isn't coming after all?
    Google nelson mandela.

What's he got to do with British Ulster?
    As I said economics will have a bigger say in this matter then all the hot air in the world.

Well you'd know wouldn't you?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

This is another thread to try convince a nationalist that the north should be abandoned. Dont worry about it.... The republic is doin so well in the euro the north will have to beg us to unite soon, England is fcuked. Cheap prices actually do not help imports! England and the north rely heavily on imports

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I know some Anglo-Irish bankers who say they will pay for NI and anything else I want really so everybody will live happily ever after.

They do look suspiciously like the bankers that have been telling fairy tales to the Irish and British people for quite a while now but don't worry I have looked them in the eyes and I am sure they are telling the"truth" this time errr' unless they have forgotten how to tell the truth or errr' never knew.

Maybe its time for a rethink !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

This is another thread to try convince a nationalist that the north should be abandoned. Dont worry about it.... The republic is doin so well in the euro the north will have to beg us to unite soon, England is fcuked. Cheap prices actually do not help imports! England and the north rely heavily on imports
    you just dont get it do you -its exports that keep a economy going-the uk is a consumer country with [eu forecasts] the highest population in the eu by 2010,her exports are now cheeper [ lower stirling to the euro] and any country that depends on them [ie the irish republic]for their exports have to tighten there belts and take less profits --as for northern ireland only one third at this moment in time wish to join the republic, and i would think most of them wouldent be prepared to do so if it would meen giving up a nhs and other uk benifits -and i am sure you would not expect that the people in the rest of the uk would put their hands in pockets to keep a system going for a foreign country

jank said:

Fascinating - the opinions of a man/woman who lives on the other side of the world. :rolleyes:

And?

I wasn't aware it's a "republican" forum - can you show me where it says that?

Oh its not, but I have heard you mention a few times that it is. Your reality has a certain perception to it.
    Perhaps you can tell me why someone who lives in New Zealand (under The Union Flag with The Queen as his sovereign) posts on an Irish forum? You loved Ireland so much you moved to the other side of the world?:rolleyes:

Well I joined this site 7 years ago when I was living in Ireland. Because I move do I have to stop posting here?

I have lived and worked in other countries other than NZ and Ireland. NZ wont be my last "new" country i will have worked in. The reason I moved, I like to try new things and challenge myself and my world view. Something you have no idea about.

• Advertisement

jank said:

Yes, but they're still there aren't they? Almost a hundred years now. Perhaps your day isn't coming after all?

My day? LOL! If there was a vote I think I would vote No! It pains you that nobody wants you but some Irish "free staters"!

What's he got to do with British Ulster?

It has alot do to with N.I.

Well you'd know wouldn't you?;)

Know what now?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

you just dont get it do you -its exports that keep a economy going-the uk is a consumer country with [eu forecasts] the highest population in the eu by 2010,her exports are now cheeper [ lower stirling to the euro] and any country that depends on them [ie the irish republic]for their exports have to tighten there belts and take less profits --as for northern ireland only one third at this moment in time wish to join the republic, and i would think most of them wouldent be prepared to do so if it would meen giving up a nhs and other uk benifits -and i am sure you would not expect that the people in the rest of the uk would put their hands in pockets to keep a system going for a foreign country

Wrong, The uk imports more than it exports, Ref the balance of trade to see. We as people discuss macro economics but dont care much for anyhting but micro economics(Ask the economist to explain he seems to have a grip).The arguement about increasing population will only serve to reinforce this....

Wrong, The uk imports more than it exports, Ref the balance of trade to see. We as people discuss macro economics but dont care much for anyhting but micro economics(Ask the economist to explain he seems to have a grip).The arguement about increasing population will only serve to reinforce this....
    tell that to the people in the north who are at this moment are doing well from the low stirling rate, even the republic is now in a panic trying to tell its own country men not to shop in the north and buy only in the republic-any way since the republic joined the eu its been partly british money [ie northern irish] that has been paying for the eu grants to the republic ,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

It would be interesting to see the effect on support for the Union if the the English taxpayer is made aware exactly how much they are lavishing on NI especially now that british goverments are going to have to cut back hard on those English taxpayers.

Unions and Empires are all good and well when the revenue is coming in but when it is disappearing into far away hills then different considerations have to be made.

blinding wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see the effect on support for the Union if the the English taxpayer is aware exactly how much they are lavishing on NI especially now that british goverments are going to have to cut back hard on those English taxpayers.
    i dont believe that the tax payer in the rest of the uk has ever considered how much it costs to keep any region of the uk.just the same as the people in the republic consider how much it costs to to prop up the poorer areas in the republic

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

i dont believe that the tax payer in the rest of the uk has ever considered how much it costs to keep any region of the uk.just the same as the people in the republic consider how much it costs to to prop up the poorer areas in the republic

Bull****. People keep going on like the NI is just another part of the UK but its not, theres an ocean separating it from Brtiain ffs.

NI is not to Britain what Limerick is to Ireland.

noodler wrote: »
    Bull****. People keep going on like the NI is just another part of the UK but its not, theres an ocean separating it from Brtiain ffs.

you can see northern ireland from the uk-in fact i live near fleetwood and its quicker for me to get to larne by ferry than it dose for me to drive to london, britain or should i call it by its celtic name[bryttas] is only a single part of the united kingdom and northern ireland ,all different races but all who wish are british citizens, or in the case of northern ireland can be citizens of the republic, or even both

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

you can see northern ireland from the uk-in fact i live near fleetwood and its quicker for me to get to larne by ferry than it dose for me to drive to london, britain or should i call it by its celtic name[bryttas] is only a single part of the united kingdom and northern ireland ,all different races but all who wish are british citizens, or in the case of northern ireland can be citizens of the republic, or even both

It is a different animal.

It is certainly not as much of the UK as Wales/Scotland to many English people.

The argument that its just like a poorer part of the Republic doesn't hold any water with me-all political arguments aside.

The argument that its just like a poorer part of the Republic doesn't hold any water with me-all political arguments aside.
    i am english and i am sure if you ask any englishman in the street who are british they will come up with the answer welsh scottish english and northern irish; maybe not use the word northern irish most likely say irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Exile 1798

Lancashire?

That must be one fast ferry.

You can see "northern ireland" from "the uk"? Translation into reality, on a clear day you can make out Ireland from some isolated Scottish Gaelic speaking islands.

But what exactly is your point?

http://www.public.asu.edu/~dtimoth/Borderpix/UK-Ireland/Ireland-NI%20Border%20019.jpg

• Advertisement

i am english

Your English is worse then my Irish.

But I'm glad too see you use "whatever English you have."

Perhaps some night courses or a summer camp of some sort?

Exile 1798 wrote: »

Perhaps some night courses or a summer camp of some sort?
    its a pity you have had to revert to insults-for a moment i thought i was was talking to somebody with intelligence-but we all know the old saying if you are lost for words insult them

blinding wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see the effect on support for the Union if the the English taxpayer is made aware exactly how much they are lavishing on NI especially now that british goverments are going to have to cut back hard on those English taxpayers.

Unions and Empires are all good and well when the revenue is coming in but when it is disappearing into far away hills then different considerations have to be made.

I see what you mean. Was that why The Republic ditched it's illegal claims to British Ulster? Did it's politicos see the recession coming and think,

"let's distance ourselves lads in case The British leave and we have to foot the bill. The man in the street would string us up if each ROI family had to find £4000 per year to keep Northern Catholics in the custom they've become used to living in British Ulster"

:eek:

Perhaps The US will ditch Hawaii and Alaska. That's what I love about Nationalist Ireland - it's razor sharp logic.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Exile 1798 wrote: »

Your English is not perfect either.

its a pity you have had to revert to insults-for a moment i thought i was was talking to somebody with intelligence-but we all know the old saying if you are lost for words insult them

I find your claims of dominion over my country insulting.

And I find your repeated posting of discredited and debunked propaganda from fringe Unionist groups rude.

So learn some manners and show some respect, then you might rightly expect the same back.

jimmmy wrote: »
    Your English is not perfect either.

No one's is.

I think I pass as literate though.

You really don't know what you're talking about do you? Every English school child is taught how The Union Flag evolved. Every day on English TV, the words United Kingdom and Great Britain and Northern Ireland are used time and time again. Stories from Ulster and Scotland and Wales appear time and time again - very few from The ROI (far less than for The US, or even France and Germany). If a kid gets killed in Belfast or Glasgow, or Cardiff, it is given every bit as much coverage as a child killed in London. All over The TV and radio are Ulster accents. Filling English universities are Ulster students. Ulster men and women have careers scattered from one end of England to next.

Wake up and smell the roses pal - no one's buying this green garbage anymore. Change the record.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Filling English universities are Ulster students.

This is demographically impossible. There are probably more Chinese students in British universities than ones from NI.

The government of The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland routinely refers to itself as the British government and its army as the British army and talks of British values and British citizens. The NI bit of the UK is not of any importance whatsoever to these identities. Even cars have GB on them. If Scotland left the Union it would require a reassessment of these things, if NI left nobody would notice.

• Advertisement

ardmacha wrote: »
    This is demographically impossible. There are probably more Chinese students in British universities than ones from NI.

The government of The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland routinely refers to itself as the British government and its army as the British army and talks of British values and British citizens. The NI bit of the UK is not of any importance whatsoever to these identities. Even cars have GB on them. If Scotland left the Union it would require a reassessment of these things, if NI left nobody would notice.

Ye right. I think you're getting confused with that scrap of impoverished bog known as The Irish Free State. When it left The UK absolutely nobody noticed - that is until half it's people moved to The UK - everyone a proud Oirishman, I'm sure!

No offence mate, but if you ask anyone in England who Paisley, Adams, or even Johny Adair is, you'll likely get a positive answer. Try asking them who the Irish Prime Minister is and you'll get a blank stare. Says everything.

:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement