Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Exile 1798

futurehope wrote: »
    Ye right. I think you're getting confused with that scrap of impoverished bog known as The Irish Free State. When it left The UK absolutely nobody noticed - that is until half it's people moved to The UK - everyone a proud Oirishman, I'm sure!

No offence mate, but if you ask anyone in England who Paisley, Adams, or even Johny Adair is, you'll likely get a positive answer. Try asking them who the Irish Prime Minister is and you'll get a blank stare. Says everything.

:rolleyes:

"Say's everything", ironic, because what it actually says is.... nothing.

You seem specialize in such nothing points.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Ye right. I think you're getting confused with that scrap of impoverished bog known as The Irish Free State. When it left The UK absolutely nobody noticed - that is until half it's people moved to The UK - everyone a proud Oirishman, I'm sure!

Earlier you accused me of talking Blarney, now we have Oirishry, I must be hitting home. The Irish Free State was indeed impoverished under British rule and it took a while to sort that out, longer than it should have, and for it to become wealthier than the UK.

The sad thing is that your average person in England thinks of all of Ireland as a bog, and does not cherish the bogs of Tyrone any more than those in Offaly.
    Try asking them who the Irish Prime Minister is and you'll get a blank stare.

Try asking them who the First Minister of NI is then, and see if you get a better response.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

ardmacha wrote: »
    This is demographically impossible. There are probably more Chinese students in British universities than ones from NI.

The government of The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland routinely refers to itself as the British government and its army as the British army and talks of British values and British citizens. The NI bit of the UK is not of any importance whatsoever to these identities. Even cars have GB on them. If Scotland left the Union it would require a reassessment of these things, if NI left nobody would notice.
    nationality will not exist if the EU gets its way all goverment ruling will come from brussels, all will become eu citizens,and one united europe , so england scotland wales northern ireland the irish republic all will be dictated to by the EU, and lets face it the irish republic is further down the road to it than the UK

getz wrote: »
    nationality will not exist if the EU gets its way all goverment ruling will come from brussels, all will become eu citizens,and one united europe , so england scotland wales northern ireland the irish republic all will be dictated to by the EU, and lets face it the irish republic is further down the road to it than the UK

What's wrong with that?

Can't you see England from France?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

I identify the people of the north as my 'kith and kin'

Even the Irish nationalists!!

• Advertisement

Exile 1798 wrote: »
    What's wrong with that?

Can't you see England from France?;)
    do you believe that some frenchman or german ruling or changing your culture would be good for you or me ? before the uk and ireland joined i was in antwerp,and the press in belgium had on its headlines; that it was good that britian was joining the EU ,because it would stop the germans and the french carving it up for themselves,

do you believe that some frenchman or german ruling or changing your culture would be good for you or me ?

You don't get irony do you?

You don't get irony do you?
    no explain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭futurehope

ardmacha said:
    Earlier you accused me of talking Blarney, now we have Oirishry, I must be hitting home. The Irish Free State was indeed impoverished under British rule and it took a while to sort that out, longer than it should have, and for it to become wealthier than the UK.

Ye, about seventy years wasn't it - and even then you needed EU (including UK) hand outs. Some nation. :rolleyes:
    The sad thing is that your average person in England thinks of all of Ireland as a bog, and does not cherish the bogs of Tyrone any more than those in Offaly.

Really. Even if it's true (which it isn't) - I'd still rather be a dog in The UK, than a king in Ireland. Getting through yet? :rolleyes:
    Try asking them who the First Minister of NI is then, and see if you get a better response.

Try asking them who anyone in Ireland is...

ardmacha said:

Ye, about seventy years wasn't it - and even then you needed EU (including UK) hand outs. Some nation. :rolleyes:

Really. Even if it's true (which it isn't) - I'd still rather be a dog in The UK, than a king in Ireland. Getting through yet? :rolleyes:

we seem to be getting away from the question -and thats the cost of running northern ireland-it has to be high because of a free NHS -but when you are in need of a doctor or hosiptal or old or sick money should not be a issue ,many people in the republic look in envy at the welfare state ,and only wish they had it

• Advertisement

Ye, about seventy years wasn't it - and even then you needed EU (including UK) hand outs. Some nation.

whatever about this, the part of Ireland in the UK has been receiving even bigger handouts and is still a basket case.
    I'd still rather be a dog in The UK, than a king in Ireland.

One of your leaders once expressed a desire to be a tampon, which also wasn't much help to anyone else. What you want to be is not directly relevant to this thread which is about how much NI costs.

Some music performers or sports people might be well known, but there is no interest in NI as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

You really don't know what you're talking about do you? Every English school child is taught how The Union Flag evolved. Every day on English TV, the words United Kingdom and Great Britain and Northern Ireland are used time and time again. Stories from Ulster and Scotland and Wales appear time and time again - very few from The ROI (far less than for The US, or even France and Germany). If a kid gets killed in Belfast or Glasgow, or Cardiff, it is given every bit as much coverage as a child killed in London. All over The TV and radio are Ulster accents. Filling English universities are Ulster students. Ulster men and women have careers scattered from one end of England to next.

Wake up and smell the roses pal - no one's buying this green garbage anymore. Change the record.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

^^^^

This is drivel

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

we seem to be getting away from the question -and thats the cost of running northern ireland-it has to be high because of a free NHS -but when you are in need of a doctor or hosiptal or old or sick money should not be a issue ,many people in the republic look in envy at the welfare state ,and only wish they had it

The republic is a welfare state,it has free healthcare,old age pensions and has a higher unemployment benefit than the UK provides .Many people in the UK look in envy at the Irish welfare State , and only wish they had it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Northern Ireland is a bit like a deliquent teenager that is too lazy too work.
    It needs a bit of tough love from old granny empire to give it a kick up the ass. The dire state of Britains finances may be the conduit to force the place to look after itself financially at least.

ardmacha said:
    whatever about this, the part of Ireland in the UK has been receiving even bigger handouts and is still a basket case.

You just don't get it do you ardmacha? Dear old Ireland wanted independence, got it, and then only managed to claw it's way out of the poor house by scrounging EU money, a lot of which was UK money. In addition to that, it's biggest export for seventy years was it's young people. The Republic, that Irish 'patriots' prayed for was such a useless pile of sh*te that even The Irish couldn't live there.

You speak as if British Ulster and The Republic are two bits of the same nation, to be judged alongside each other. Well, I'm sorry my Irish friend, but British Ulster is just a region of a nation called The UK to me and as such you might as well be discussing what a basket case The North East of England is. Or indeed smaller impoverished areas such as parts of London or Kent.

The question one might ask, of course, is if British Ulster is such a dump, why do so many Irish Nationalists choose to live there? After all some of them could literally walk across the border to that paradise called The ROI. Do they enjoy being on their knees to The UK? Do they enjoy being 'occupied'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Gruffalo

Try asking them who the Irish Prime Minister is and you'll get a blank stare. Says everything.

Of course they wouldn't know, neither would I. Perhaps that is because we do not have a prime minister.

You really don't know what you're talking about do you? Every English school child is taught how The Union Flag evolved.

I have asked my mates over here (I live in England) and they have confirmed that that is not true.

Every day on English TV, the words United Kingdom and Great Britain and Northern Ireland are used time and time again. Stories from Ulster and Scotland and Wales appear time and time again - very few from The ROI (far less than for The US, or even France and Germany).

Absolutely not true. The US gets a far greater mention than your imaginary little state. The only time the 6 counties gets a mention is when someone gets killed or when the PM or her madge go for a visit.

If a kid gets killed in Belfast or Glasgow, or Cardiff, it is given every bit as much coverage as a child killed in London.

If the kid is killed in Scotland or Wales it gets sympathetic coverage. If they are in your part of the world, it gets the old not these idiots again.

All over The TV and radio are Ulster accents.

Graham Norton, Dara Ó Briain, Ed Byrne, Diarmaid Gaving, Craig Doyle, Terry Wogan etc. etc. These people seem to be doing fine.

Filling English universities are Ulster students.

An absolute lie, and demographically impossible.

Ulster men and women have careers scattered from one end of England to next.

So do the Irish, Pakistani, Indian, American, Scottish, English, Welsh and probably any other race you care to mention.

Wake up and smell the roses pal - no one's buying this green garbage anymore. Change the record.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Next time you say that last bit, make sure you are looking in the mirror at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭D-Boy

ardmacha said:

You just don't get it do you ardmacha? Dear old Ireland wanted independence, got it, and then only managed to claw it's way out of the poor house by scrounging EU money, a lot of which was UK money. In addition to that, it's biggest export for seventy years was it's young people. The Republic, that Irish 'patriots' prayed for was such a useless pile of sh*te that even The Irish couldn't live there.

You speak as if British Ulster and The Republic are two bits of the same nation, to be judged alongside each other. Well, I'm sorry my Irish friend, but British Ulster is just a region of a nation called The UK to me and as such you might as well be discussing what a basket case The North East of England is. Or indeed smaller impoverished areas such as parts of London or Kent.

The question one might ask, of course, is if British Ulster is such a dump, why do so many Irish Nationalists choose to live there? After all some of them could literally walk across the border to that paradise called The ROI. Do they enjoy being on their knees to The UK? Do they enjoy being 'occupied'?

You my friend are naive to say the least.
    My best mate is from Bolton and he didnt even know that Britain still occupied Ireland until the 20's!
    Piss off back to the BNP site with the rest of the lunatics!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

The british goverment would be p***ing against the wind if they expected NI to contribute to getting them out out of their current economic woes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

I find your claims of dominion over my country insulting.

And I find your repeated posting of discredited and debunked propaganda from fringe Unionist groups rude.

So learn some manners and show some respect, then you might rightly expect the same back.

I find your claims of dominion over my country insulting.

And I find your repeated posting of discredited and debunked nationalist propaganda rude.

So learn some manners and show some respect, then you might rightly expect the same back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

If there was any doubt about the pro union view of northern ireland on this site look no further than futurehope

Shameful Shameful Moderation

Gruffalo said:
    Originally Posted by futurehope viewpost.gif
    You really don't know what you're talking about do you? Every English school child is taught how The Union Flag evolved.

I have asked my mates over here (I live in England) and they have confirmed that that is not true.

Funny how all the Irish live in England isn't it? Is that what Pearse fought for, so that the dregs of Ireland could crawl over to 'cruel England' to scrape a living under Her Majesty's rule? A Nation once again?:rolleyes:

By the way genius, I have nieces who go to school in England and they told me that story - perhaps it's the type of school your 'mates' go to - not one of those Christian Brothers hell holes I hope (for their sake).

Every day on English TV, the words United Kingdom and Great Britain and Northern Ireland are used time and time again. Stories from Ulster and Scotland and Wales appear time and time again - very few from The ROI (far less than for The US, or even France and Germany).

Absolutely not true. The US gets a far greater mention than your imaginary little state. The only time the 6 counties gets a mention is when someone gets killed or when the PM or her madge go for a visit.

I think your suffering from the old green tinted eye site son. Read the text again, it means that The US is featured more than Ireland. Those Christian Brothers again?:rolleyes:
    If a kid gets killed in Belfast or Glasgow, or Cardiff, it is given every bit as much coverage as a child killed in London.

If the kid is killed in Scotland or Wales it gets sympathetic coverage. If they are in your part of the world, it gets the old not these idiots again.

Really. A paddy with a sense of humour - Frank Carson can retire.
    All over The TV and radio are Ulster accents.

Graham Norton, Dara Ó Briain, Ed Byrne, Diarmaid Gaving, Craig Doyle, Terry Wogan etc. etc. These people seem to be doing fine.

Did I say otherwise. I presume Graham Norton's your favourite. :D
    Ulster men and women have careers scattered from one end of England to next.

So do the Irish, Pakistani, Indian, American, Scottish, English, Welsh and probably any other race you care to mention.

Did I say otherwise? I tell you what Gruffalo, why don't you actually read the posts prior to responding and then you won't look like the archetypal thick mick. ;)

D-Boy wrote: »
    You my friend are naive to say the least.
    My best mate is from Bolton and he didnt even know that Britain still occupied Ireland until the 20's!
    Piss off back to the BNP site with the rest of the lunatics!!

HaHaHa. Another Irishman with a 'best friend' in England - this just gets better and better! I'm going to have to advertise this site, it's better than Father Ted!:D

You should sell tickets. The Irish Joke is alive and well and it's name is boards.ie:D

The Irish Joke is alive and well and it's name is boards.ie

Indeed. If there is a moderator on this thread then please close it. There was some debate initially, but any pretence at reasoned debate is gone with references to thick micks and the like.

Gruffalo said:

Funny how all the Irish live in England isn't it? Is that what Pearse fought for, so that the dregs of Ireland could crawl over to 'cruel England' to scrape a living under Her Majesty's rule? A Nation once again?:rolleyes:

All of the Irish. I know you love to make up facts, but that is stretching it a little. Pearse fought for Irish freedom, I am free. As for the dregs comment, I am clearly better educated than you as the next point will prove.

By the way genius, I have nieces who go to school in England and they told me that story - perhaps it's the type of school your 'mates' go to - not one of those Christian Brothers hell holes I hope (for their sake).

Perhaps, you should read back over what you actually posted. You said every school child is educated about the flag. My friends were not, therefore you are wrong. Perhaps your nieces go to a bigoted school. You are incapable of keeping a consistent argument for two posts. Clearly, the six counties cannot find anyone to take its dregs.

Really. A paddy with a sense of humour - Frank Carson can retire.

Its only people like you who ever thought he was funny.

Did I say otherwise. I presume Graham Norton's your favourite. :D

Being a fair, non-bigoted man, I am great fan of our finest Protestant comedian.

I tell you what Gruffalo, why don't you actually read the posts prior to responding and then you won't look like the archetypal thick mick. ;)

As I have shown you are incapable of reading your own posts, why would you expect me to do any better?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

No offence mate, but if you ask anyone in England who Paisley, Adams, or even Johny Adair is, you'll likely get a positive answer. Try asking them who the Irish Prime Minister is and you'll get a blank stare. Says everything.

Just because you have an opinion, does not make it fact.
    You are talking out of your ass I'm afriad and your xenophobic, sectartian posts just show you for what you are.

Gruffalo said:

I think your suffering from the old green tinted eye site son. Read the text again, it means that The US is featured more than Ireland. Those Christian Brothers again?:rolleyes:

I think you will find that yet again it is you who cannot read. As I have said, now try to grasp it this time, the US is referred to more than the 6 counties, on the English news, because nobody over here cares about you. Unless one of you gets popped, or the PM or her Madge visits, the English (in General) do not care what is going on with you lot. Understand that?

Did I say otherwise?

Again you are failing to see the point, there are people from numerous countries making it in Britain. There is absolutely nothing significant about your little minority getting the odd appearance on the soapbox. But then again your little imaginary state likes to celibrate mediocrity. It is spending 100 million on an a museum of some sort for a ship that could not even make one journey. It called its city airport after a raging alcoholic who wasted his talent.

Oh and by the way I was not educated by the Christian Brothers. I was educated by Franciscans, but I doubt you could tell the difference. Facts are not a strong point of yours, you do not seem to be too bad at the bigotry though.

Trying asking them to name some people from the six counties who have not played a role in the death of 3,500 people over 30 years. It is typical of the six counties love of celebrating mediocrity, that futurehope is proud that people know who these me are.

Do Germans celebrate that everybody knows who Hitler was?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

ardmacha wrote: »
    Indeed. If there is a moderator on this thread then please close it. There was some debate initially, but any pretence at reasoned debate is gone with references to thick micks and the like.

That poster should be given a long holiday from this place.

• Advertisement

I've met plenty of English with 'pro NI' views - though obviously they didn't put it in that sort of manner. :rolleyes:

So they did not say that they were Pro NI but you decided that they were. OK? Do you enjoy this little make believe world you inhabit?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement