Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Music Documentaries

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Joe Strummer: The Future is Unwritten
    Birneybau wrote: »
    Apart from the Bono campfire scenes of course.

Missed this recommendation earlier, didn't see the actual heading of post. I've ordered this also, looks fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

It's only now that I have finally finished watching all the ones I bought. I made the stupid mistake of lending them out to friends before I watched them myself. I also got my hands on a lot of BBC4 docs as well, many hours of them. BBC4 do broadcast some great documentaries indeed.

Not a single bad recommendation was made. I reviewed most before I purchased anyway so was expecting good things.

BBC4's Neil Young - 'Don't Be Denied' is outstanding, a must for any Young fans. He speaks throughout the film himself, along with many past collaborators and friends. It tells the whole story of his career, really right up to the present day.

Wilco - 'I Am Trying To Break Your Heart' is another great doc. I never really listened to much of Wilco in the past but I'm tuning into a fan of late. It basically tells the story of the making of their album 'Yankee Hotel Foxtrot' and the turmoil within the band at the time and the dropping of Wilco by their record label company. It's all very real and was made by first time film maker Sam Jones.

BBC's Soul Deep series comprises of six episodes telling the history of soul music. I found it incredibly interesting;from its roots in gospel singing to the influence it has in just about every music genre. It features artists such as Ray Charles, Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin, James Brown..among many, many more. I found the Sam Cooke episode particularly interesting. It's a brilliantly made series.

Among the others I watched were 'Joe Strummer-The Future Is Unwritten', 'The Clash-Westway To The World', 'BBC's Guitar Heroes', 'Standing In The Shadows of Motown', 'Radiohead-Meeting People is Easy', 'David Bowie-Cracked Actor', 'Sex Pistols-The Filth and The Fury', 'New Order Story', 'Soul Britannia', 'How Music Works', 'Put The Music on The Record', 'The Devil and Daniel Johnson','BBC's Hotel California:LA From The Byrds to The Eagles', ....I'd be here forever if I was to comment on each one individually, but I can honestly say there isn't a bad one there.

Thanks for all the recommendations guys.

Advertisement