Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dolphin Dreaming Mural/Painting

Options
  • 16-04-2009 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭

At the end of the Crumlin Road heading towards the city centre there's a few blocks of flats on the left. One block has a big painting of a young child grabbing at some balls, maybe snowglobes- I didn't get a proper look- on the side of it.

Just wondering if someone could explain the meaning or historical context of it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

dolphinsbarnjune08049.jpg

Taken from another forum

I don't know, but I'll try find out for ye.;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Arent those flats in Dolphins Barn?
    By sheer coincidence I drove past there yesterday & spotted the mural; I was sorry I didnt have the camera so I could post it in the Dublin Pics thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

i think they are bubbles... maybe something to do with a laundry? I dunno why but that is stuck in my head...

Yeah its dolphins barn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

There used to be a massive poster on the exact same spot that read something like

"Pushers Out" - so don't know if this ties in with it in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Each of the blocks has a mural on the end. The opposite end to the one in view in the picture. It celebrates each decade of the existance of the flats. Maybe this baby and bubbles picture is for a (communal) laundromat which I think used to be, and may yet still be, in the complex...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Luke G

dolphinsbarnjune08049.jpg

Taken from another forum

I don't know, but I'll try find out for ye.;)

There used to be a concerned parents against drugs (i think that was the group) sign there, with a syringe drawing on it, and it said "pushers out," and "dolphin says no", so i think it might have been a matter of just getting rid of that and replacing it with something a bit more positive ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

This is common in working class areas,especially flat blocks,murals and pictures are drawn on buildings to display the artistic talents of some of the residents,and to make the place look alittle less bleak,which unfortunately through the years is starting to become more prominant,flat blocks are going to soon be a thing of the past,with most being knocked down

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Got a reply on dublin.ie forum:
    i live in there now the meaning of the murals is about giving the children a change in life and not tarnish them with the drug scene gonebye when going for jobs etc. there are plenty more inside too

The other murals http://www.indymedia.ie/article/74360

Advertisement