Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

too young to have another baby?

Options
  • 16-04-2009 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

I have two young sons, age 2 and 5. Lately i have been feeling broody and i think i would like another child but i dont know how to bring up the subject with my partner as we are only 24. any advise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Two kids that young are a lot of work, but if you feel you can look after another, and have the money in the current economic climate, I say go for it! Better now than later, when you are older and have less energy. Do you have any reason to believe your partner wouldn't want another?

I'd talk about it when your partner is relaxed and when you have time to talk- but not just before sex! Maybe on an evening out if you can organise a babysitter....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

shelly.m wrote: »
    I have two young sons, age 2 and 5. Lately i have been feeling broody and i think i would like another child but i dont know how to bring up the subject with my partner as we are only 24. any advise?

I had my first kid at 18 but couldn't get pregnant for 12 years after that. I had two more kids at when I was 28 & 30. Wish I could've had them when I was younger though,also it's nicer to have kids close in age.
    Provided you and your partner are in a stable loving relationship and are planning on having more kids then I would say do it now and don't a big gap in between kids...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I think once you can afford it then go for it:)
    I think it is nice to have them close in age so that thye can do things together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭shelly.m

thanks guys:D

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

i'd definately say go for it, my friend's on baby number 5 and she's only 24 like yourself :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I think having 3 children is a nice number. I know we bring children into the world for selfish reasons - my reason for having a third was because I had lost my parents within a month of each other, and it scared me thinking I could lose 2 children just as easily - 3 seemed a safer number. But I don't regret it, I love all 3 three of them with all my heart.
    If you can afford it and, more importantly, if you and your partner have a lot of to give (God, i sound so cheesy!) then go for it. And I agree with other posters that you're best to have your children while you're young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭shelly.m

i always wanted three kids and seeing how well my other two boys get on together and help eachother really makes me think now is the right time .my oldest is turning 6 in june and my youngest is two since jan.thanks for the advise guys ,now all i have to do is aproach the subject with my oH lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

It's such a personal choice and if both of you are happy to go for another then do what feels right for ye.

As your younger child is 2 all going well he will be 3 or nearly 3 by the time another baby would come along so you'd still be in baby mode and it wouldn't be as big an adjustment that if you left a number of years and then had another baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I am 29 and have 3 kids.. Had my 1st at 19 and then a seven year gap, I wish I hadn't left that big gap. but the timing was wrong. Its nice to have the kids grow up together.

best of luck with your decision!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Hi OP,

Your question in the original post was how to bring the subject up with your partner.

Just tell him you want another baby! And then have an open and honest discussion about it and how it will impact on you both. Important also to factor in the finances as others have mentioned.

I think it's really important to be open and honest and discuss all the issues. You don't want resentment setting in later on down the line. Also, once you mention the subject, it will give your partner time to consider it and get used to the idea.

Will also be important to listen to him and see it from his side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I'd say bring it up with him and see what he thinks. Adding a third child isn't a huge amount of extra work or expense (i.e. you have most of the baby gear already and with a 2 year old you're busy a lot of the time anyway). The big financial worry would be if you needed to use a crèche where adding another kid substantially increases the cost. But if you are a stay at home mother then it isn't that much of an extra burden, especially given that your oldest will either already/or starting next year be in primary school.

If the pair of you want a third child then it's probably better to have him/her sooner rather than later for a variety of reasons as others said above.

Advertisement