Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiohead,Nirvana,Oasis,etc.

Options
  • 16-04-2009 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Is it just me or are most bands from the 90's incredibly overrated? Everyone on these forums seems to love to toot the aforementioned bands' horns and praise them as if they did something radical to change music. They didn't.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Lynskey

GTFO. They may not have revolutionised music but they made a better contribution to it than most. What do you listen to? Lady GaGa? Flo Rida? Grow up

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

what an unusual thread title.

must be a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

Smashing pumpkins and Pearl jam are also two nineties bands hugely overrated!
    Yeah right;)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

Is it just me or are most bands from the 90's incredibly overrated? Everyone on these forums seems to love to toot the aforementioned bands' horns and praise them as if they did something radical to change music. They didn't.

what exactly do you mean by "radical change"? Do you reckon todays music sounds the same as that of 1989? It also depends what kind of music you are referring to. The bands you listed are all from completely different genres.

Nirvana (grunge) along with bands like pearl jam popularized the genre & image which I'd imagine contributed largely to the Nu Metal thing throughout the later 90's.

Oasis were one of the bands responsible for the Brit pop movement which put a squire strat into every 15 year olds Bedroom accross the UK

radiohead released a hugely influential album (OK computer) and then changed their sound and began experimenting with electronica which replaced many a teenagers squier strat with a sequencer.

were these good changes? Depends on what your in to..... but denying they happened is pointless. Todays music has indeed been influence by the 90's (& every other decade) whether you like it or not.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Pollemicism is only powerful in the hands of an expert.

Otherwise it's just trolling :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Is it just me or are Led Zep, AC/DC, Bob Dylan, David Bowie, The Velvet Underground, Aerosmith, The Beach Boys, The Beatles, Frank Zappa, The Cure, The Clash and The Sex Pistols overrated?

amidoinitrite?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

As was talked about in the "Ranting About Music" thread........ "everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if you disagree with it". Dont know why everyone is getting their knickers in a twist over it. :D

OP : You dont have to do something radical to make good music. Though I'm sure we'd all like to know which bands you think deserve more recognition, or are underrated in your opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Rigsby wrote: »
    which bands you think deserve more recognition, or are underrated in your opinion.

Sparks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Nolanger wrote: »
    Sparks.

No !! Civilised enlightening discussion preferred. ;)

BTW, I have no opinions either way on the bands the OP listed.

Advertisement